Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thank you, Bartok, glad we got that ironed out. This whole dialog is so painful.

so, Meddle, the family should be outraged that a person THEY ASKED TO GET INVOLVED got involved? The fact that this [[African American) guy regularly pens anti-civil rights rants for outlets like the uber-right-wing Washington Times goes to his credibility on the issue -- none.
    Last edited by rb336; March-26-12 at 05:01 PM.

“The epidemic is truly black on black crime,” Bryant said. “The greatest danger to the lives of young black men are young black men.”

While I don't disagree with this premise, it is a completely separate issue that needs addressing in its own right. It should not take away from the terrible event in Sanford.

What about this one?

The local Iraqi community expressed shock over the fatal beating of an Iraqi immigrant, as police try to determine whether she was the victim of a hate crime.

Hanif Mohebi, executive director of the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said Sunday that Alawadi's children and husband "are just trying to cope, as the discussion turns to planning a funeral. They're still kind of numb."

"The family, and the community, is concerned that there is a possibility that this is a hate crime," Mohebi added. "We've had some stuff in the past — insults mostly — but nothing physical. This is shocking to the community, the state and even the country."

Near the body of the 32-year-old Alawadi, police found what has been described as a threatening note. Police have declined to release the text, but relatives and friends say the handwritten note warned Alawadi to "go back to your own country" and labeled her a terrorist.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/

It is a completely separate issue that needs addressing in its own right. It should not take away from the terrible event in Sanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm glad somebody else sees this besides me:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/26/fo...rayvon-martin/

I wish Al & Jesse would just STFU and stop instigating.
    Meddle, the problem in this thread is most of us agonize that a young man had his life snuffed out without just cause. You agonize that you have to hear from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I guess in your warped world both tragedies are on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Meddle, the problem in this thread is most of us agonize that a young man had his life snuffed out without just cause. You agonize that you have to hear from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I guess in your warped world both tragedies are on the same level.
    Oh Snap!

[[10 char)

And sadly he probably sees Black men, women AND children as threats hoodies or not....

I'd like to know where this whole 'hoodie' thing came from anyways. Why is that an issue?

I wear hooded jackets and sweatshirts all the time. No big deal.

One of the stories I saw mentioned that it was a cool, rainy evening. Makes perfect sense for him to have the hood up. So what?

Are people keying in on the term because of something said on one of the phone calls? If so, why? Part of any call to police is to describe the person and their clothing. In this case ' a young black male wearing blue jeans and a gray hooded sweatshirt' or words to that effect. Again, why is this word an issue?

That is a good question. If he was just describing what was worn, hoodie is the common term for that kind of garment, no matter who wears it. Or is it taking off as a symbol because it is an easy to replicate marker. After all, everyone has one.

Congressman Bobby Rush was just kicked off the floor of the House for putting up his hood:

http://front.moveon.org/breaking-rep...von/?rc=fb.fan

Whenever I think of hoodies, I STILL think of this guy:
    Name:  unibomber.gif
Views: 252
Size:  49.9 KB

Good ole Teddy.

I don't get the "hoodie" thing either.

I have a shaved head, so I totally understand wearing one to fend off the rain or cold, but to partially conceal one's face indoors or when the conditions don't call for it definitely makes someone look suspicious [[No matter what their age or race may be),
    I would never think of walking into a store with my hood up, and if I was approached by a stranger on the street taking off my hood would be the first thing I would do.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-28-12 at 07:33 PM.

Video footage was finally released showing Zimmerman after the murder. He looks very calm, CLEAN, and casual. Sure doesn't look like a man that's been in a fight for his life, looks like he just got off work. Not a bruise or blood in sight. Now what will his defenders say?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/georg...lance-16024475

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Now what will his defenders say?
    They'll find something. They always do.

bartock Guest

Video footage was finally released showing Zimmerman after the murder. He looks very calm, CLEAN, and casual. Sure doesn't look like a man that's been in a fight for his life, looks like he just got off work. Not a bruise or blood in sight. Now what will his defenders say?

It is one thing for folks to defend the idea of innocent until proven guilty. Such as disagreeing with labeling this as something with as specific a legal meaning as murder without all of the facts and a day in court.

The frustrating thing is that this guy doesn't even have to go to court because he has not been charged with anything. I'm wouldn't jump to say this guy is guilty of murder, but he should have to prove in court that which he is claiming gives him immunity. The Stand Your Ground Law is terrible; as I understand it, is an immunity from prosecution or civil suit. The standard is the "reasonable belief" of imminent harm by the person claiming it. Should "reasonable belief" be determined by the person whose belief it is? That's utterly ridiculous...

If I were a criminal defense attorney in Florida I'd be soliciting every convicted person for murder, manslaughter, etc., since the time this law was passed and appealing based on the Trayvon Martin immunity defense. Wonder who'd be defending the Stand Your Ground law then.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I'm wouldn't jump to say this guy is guilty of murder, but he should have to prove in court that which he is claiming gives him immunity.
    So you think that the guy should have to prove his innocence? I thought we all were innocent until proven guilty here in the USA?

With all the publicity this case is receiving I think it's safe to assume that Mr. Zimmerman would have been arrested if there was any reasonable chance that he could be successfully prosecuted for the shooting.

How is one supposed to look or act hours after shooting someone?

I don't see how the video proves anything one way or the other. It's of such low quality that I can not even tell that it's him, let alone if he has any visible injuries [[This was reportedly taken after Mr. Zimmerman had received medical attention). It would also help if ABC had not put their logo over his face for more than half of the video.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-29-12 at 09:40 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So you think that the guy should have to prove his innocence? I thought we all were innocent until proven guilty here in the USA?

With all the publicity this case is receiving I think it's safe to assume that Mr. Zimmerman would have been arrested if there was any reasonable chance that he could be successfully prosecuted for the shooting.
    This doesn't make sense. The man shot and killed this kid, that much is not in any dispute. Of course, nobody should have to prove his/her innocence in this country, but the reason he wasn't charged with anything was this prosecutor's interpretation of the so-called Stand Your Ground Law. This law states in part that a person is IMMUNE to criminal OR civil prosecution if THAT PERSON believes that they were under a REASONABLE BELIEF of harm, and there is no duty to retreat [[as there is in your traditional self-defense cases). The Prosecutor is saying that this gentleman is immune from prosecution because he was under his own reasonable belief of harm. That makes no fucking sense, and has nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty because he was unilaterally determined to be IMMUNE under some subjective interpretation of a nebulous law.

I don't see how the video proves anything one way or the other. It's of such low quality that I can not even tell that it's him, let alone if he has any visible injuries [[This was reportedly taken after Mr. Zimmerman had received medical attention).

That's how an impartial, unbiased person would look at it.

My apologies Bartock, I misunderstood your post the first time I read it.

I agree that Mr. Zimmerman should have to show in some way that his life was in danger or that it was reasonable for him to think that it was. That being said, I'm still not so sure that facing murder or manslaughter charges would be required to determine that.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-29-12 at 11:10 AM.

How is one supposed to look or act hours after shooting someone?
    Um, for starters, someone who claims their head was bashed in the ground repeatedly and suffered a huge gash, had their nose broken, and was straddled and beaten within inches of their life - wouldn't appear with a clean tucked in shirt, no bruises or bandages or blood spots, not holding his head back to prevent blood from running from his nose, and no bandages on his "broken" nose either. Even IF he received medical attention, someone with head trauma would either be in a head stabilizer, or have at least some gauze. Someone with a beaten or broken nose would have blood stains SOMEWHERE.

I don't see how the video proves anything one way or the other. It's of such low quality that I can not even tell that it's him, let alone if he has any visible injuries [[This was reportedly taken after Mr. Zimmerman had received medical attention). It would also help if ABC had not put their logo over his face for more than half of the video.
    Of course you would say that. That video is clear as day to everybody BUT the Zimmerman supporters. There was no logo "over" his face - did you even watch the video at all or just regurgitating what you read elsewhere? There's multiple copies of the video without the ABC logo, available on youtube.

The video was released by the police station and its blatantly obvious that its GZ, but you go right ahead and keep your blinders on.

Fact is, his ass should be in jail preparing his case to go to trial, where he will have the chance to tell his 5 different versions of the event and let a jury decide his fate. That's all anyone is asking.
    Last edited by Detwa; March-29-12 at 11:16 AM.

bartock Guest

My apologies Bartock, I misunderstood your post the first time I read it.

I agree that Mr. Zimmerman should have to show in some way that his life was in danger or that it was reasonable for him to think that it was. That being said, I'm still not so sure that facing murder or manslaughter charges would be required to determine that.
    It's cool! I agree with your second paragraph in a general sense. However, given the number of "conflicting" [[at best) reports out there, it seems totally unreasonable for such a subjective interpretation of such a subjective law to literally avoid any prosecution whatsoever. The standard or burdon of proof for an arraignment is not the same as it is for a conviction. I think it is a case of bad interpretation of an even worse law, and Detwa's points are well taken.

Of course you would say that. That video is clear as day to everybody BUT the Zimmerman supporters. There was no logo "over" his face - did you even watch the video at all or just regurgitating what you read elsewhere? There's multiple copies of the video without the ABC logo, available on youtube.
    Let's get one thing straight. I am in not a "supporter" of Mr. Zimmerman. If the evidence shows that he shot Trayvon for any reason other than self defense i believe that he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. However, I don't think that it's right that the man is being crucified based on rumors, selectively leaked evidence and prejudiced opinions.

As for the video we must be watching different versions as the one I see at the link you posted has a giant "ABC News" logo covering the bottom part of the screen and covering the face of Mr. Zimmerman from the 15 second point until just before exits the room.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-29-12 at 12:14 PM.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast