Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What a Beautiful Day in Detroit!

I trust all of you are enjoying the magnificent early warm spell we are having. Reports say it will continue through next Wednesday -- didn't show beyond then on -- and hopefully right through to summer. Is great to see so many people outside again and in shirt sleeves in sunny 70 degree weather.

The city appears hazy from Belle Isle, almost as if it was summer.

The handball courts where I spend a lot of my summers are gleaming and in great condition.

We might be having tough times and uncertainties, but on a day like today things are just a little less so.

It has been beautiful. I buzzed back into town yesterday to see crocuses and daffodils blooming in my yard. Time to take down my snowman light covers! Spring beauties can't be far behind. Now battening down the hatches for the impending storm front.

I walked over to the Ford Building for pizza today. The streets were very active with people.

Called my sister in LA bragging about our wonderful warm Midwest winter we are having

.... good thing we never have any bad snowstorms in April.... huh...

A lot of areas saw quite a bit of hail today in the midst of the nice weather in between.

Around 1030am-11am a rogue severe hail t'storm popped up over NE Wayne and SE Macomb County.

Then earlier this afternoon and evening, everyone experienced a June-esque lightning show [[along with more hailstorms), while a significant tornado touched down near Ann Arbor.

This is the 2nd tornado to touch down in Michigan this March, and also if March were to end right up, it would be the 4th warmest on record. Furthermore, tenps in the 70s and 80s are expected through at least next weekend.

But yeah, it feels more like June than mid-March. It's strange that it's so warm and the trees are still bare. Metro Airport tied its record high of 77*F before the storms began.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-15-12 at 09:58 PM.

I feel like I violated a Michigan jinx by praising the weather. In the back of our Michigan minds when we get early warm weather is the thought 'we have to pay for it'. Snow in April, 30 degrees on opening day with 25 MPH winds, 100 degree heat waves in summer etc.

Today Dexter and Ida paid by getting tornadoed. Thankfully there appears to be no casualties so far.