Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Boy/Girl Scout participation in Detroit

Does anyone know how involved the scouts are in Detroit?
    It seems to me with the lack of fathers that especially boys would benifit from this program.

What programs are there in Detroit that are geared towards young people?

Speaking of girl scouts, if you see any of them selling cookies try the Savannah Smiles. If don't eat the whole box in one sitting you have better will power than me.

I cant speak to how active the troops are in the city but the GS headquarters/main council is in the Fisher Building.

The Boyscouts HQ is on Warren and ? in the city as well

and if you need i can hook you up with a few cases of Savannah Smiles.. shamless cookie mom plug there ...

Yeah the Boy Scouts is on Warren and 12th, by Woodbridge.

There are Boy Scout troops in the city, but most are in the suburbs. In Boy Scouts most activities, like weekly meetings or monthly camp outs, are done at the troop level, without much interaction between Troops. But there are other camping activities where Troops from all over the region show up, like summer camp, and you rarely see Troops from the city there. Although it seems like they've been more common in the last few years.

The Great Lakes Council of the Boy Scouts of America is located at 1776 W. Warren, Detroit, MI – phone [[313) 879-1965.
    http://www.glcscouting.org/index.html

The BSA has nothing but programs for youths aged 7 to 18. However, they do not have professional scoutmasters that run a local troop - you have to provide the adults. The BSA relies on local religious, civic, business or school groups to provide the adult leadership and a meeting location. The BSA council will then train these adult volunteers to bring a wide range of programs and leadership to the kids.

They are always looking for more volunteers and would like to do more in the City of Detroit – this is NOT just a suburban program.

Just as the Girl Scouts sell cookies, the Boy Scouts sell popcorn.

"They are always looking for more volunteers and would like to do more in the City of Detroit – this is NOT just a suburban program."

This holds true for the Girl Scouts as well. They are going to be heavily recruiting in the near future. They have expressed a strong desire to include ALL girls across all demographics. They feel they have a strong history of inclusion and want to build on that.
    http://blog.girlscouts.org/

From the Blog..

What is especially important about the Girl Scouts’ rich history of supporting women’s leadership is their insistence on being a voice for all girls, regardless of their background or neighborhood. Founder Juliette Gordon Low’s first 18 Girl Scouts included girls from influential Savannah families, as well as girls from the Female Orphan Asylum and Congregation Mickve Israel. As early as 1917 the first African-American troops were established, as well as troops for disabled girls. One of the earliest Latina troops was formed in Houston in 1922; Girl Scout troops supported Japanese-American girls in internment camps in the 1940s, and by the 1950s, Girl Scouts was leading the charge to fully integrate all of its troops.

In 1956, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called Girl Scouts “a force for desegregation.”

In a move designed to focus national attention on girls and the issues they face, Girl Scouts of the USA has announced the launch of ToGetHerThere, the largest, boldest advocacy and fundraising cause dedicated to girls' leadership in the nation's history. The multi-year effort will seek to create balanced leadership — the equal representation of women in leadership positions in all sectors and levels of society — within one generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    The Great Lakes Council of the Boy Scouts of America is located at 1776 W. Warren, Detroit, MI – phone [[313) 879-1965.
    http://www.glcscouting.org/index.html

The BSA has nothing but programs for youths aged 7 to 18. However, they do not have professional scoutmasters that run a local troop - you have to provide the adults. The BSA relies on local religious, civic, business or school groups to provide the adult leadership and a meeting location. The BSA council will then train these adult volunteers to bring a wide range of programs and leadership to the kids.

They are always looking for more volunteers and would like to do more in the City of Detroit – this is NOT just a suburban program
    Just as the Girl Scouts sell cookies, the Boy Scouts sell popcorn.
    I'm glad they're still based in the city but the name change blows...we were the Detroit Area Council until a few years ago when we merged with some Oakland County Council [[thus explains the name change - they are, of course, above and better than all things Detroit). We had sick patches with the skyline with a freighter in front of it. Of course people want to erase Detroit from everything... here in "Southeast Michigan" or should I say "Greater Oakland County" ...we're just that area east of Ann Arbor.

^^^^ Eagle Scout - 1993!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm glad they're still based in the city but the name change blows...we were the Detroit Area Council until a few years ago when we merged with some Oakland County Council [[thus explains the name change - they are, of course, above and better than all things Detroit). We had sick patches with the skyline with a freighter in front of it. Of course people want to erase Detroit from everything... here in "Southeast Michigan" or should I say "Greater Oakland County" ...we're just that area east of Ann Arbor.
    I loved that council patch. Though the one with the automobile on it from just before was cool, too. I'm bummed to hear about the name change, too!

Detroit is over 80% black, and I don't ever recall anytime in history when blacks have shown huge participation in the Boys/Girls Scouts Clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Of course people want to erase Detroit from everything... here in "Southeast Michigan" or should I say "Greater Oakland County" ...we're just that area east of Ann Arbor.
    It's pretty sad.

You don't see that type of bullshit play out in ANY OTHER REGION IN THE WORLD except Detroi...I meaen Metro Detroi...I mean Oakland Coun...I mean SE Michigan!!!
    Last edited by 313WX; March-15-12 at 09:27 PM.