Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Images Don't Show Up In IE8

Do user posted images show up in Internet Explorer 8 for everyone? Even when inserted properly, you still have to click them to see them. This doesn't happen on the less popular browsers, just on IE8, for me at least.

DetroitDad, I have IE8 also, not having any problem seeing pics that I know of, I wasn't sure what thread has pics so I went back to the old trusty Chicks we dig? those came up! What thread are you having trouble with, and I'll go look there?

I use IE 8 and have no problem. Is your browser set up to download pics?
    Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Multimedia/Show Pictures

Do you have your user CP set up to view pictures in the Edit Options section?
    Last edited by jcole; June-15-09 at 07:58 PM.

Stuff happens.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

When all else fails, get a Mac! Life has been beautiful at my house ever since I banished Bill Gates permanently, and the pictures come up fine in my Safari browser.

But I digress. :P

Seriously, I don't know what the problem is with your IE8, but my first guess would be that it installed itself with some sort of default setting that's not what you had before. It's been so long since I've worked with configuring IE that I don't even remember what the options are, but I would say try getting into the preferences and looking at the settings for display of pictures [[I'm sure somebody here who's still familiar with IE and still has a Windows computer to look at and compare might be able to help you).

I never upgraded from IE7. If it works, I don't fix it.

DetroitDad Guest

It was my User CP options, thanks. Oddly, they showed up on the Mac even with that option shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    It was my User CP options, thanks. Oddly, they showed up on the Mac even with that option shut off.
    You're welcome. Apparently you won't need to go out and spend three grand on a Mac.

cheddar bob Guest

"Macs: For people too stupid to use a computer"

Stosh Guest

I concur whole heartedly. Please cross post here, nice Mac discussion going on at the end of the thread. And I use Safari on my PC. And according to what I've read, OS X Leopard can run on a PC as well. Only Apple disables that function in their software...

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1249

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post

...or for people who have finally woken up and realized how valuable their time really is. I was actually a Windows network administrator in a previous career and had gone through all the fancy technical support-level classes so I could fix everything. And I was SOOOOO proud of myself when I came home and knew exactly when to run which maintenance program or adjust which Registry key to fix whatever ailed my computer. I also didn't think twice about spending hundred$ of dollars every time software was updated and/or the hardware became too obsolete to run the software.

Until I experienced too many crashes too close together. In a fit of desperation, wondering at the time if I were crazy for even contemplating the idea, I took the plunge and got a Mac. That was more than two years ago, and guess what? I don't have to run ScanDisk, I don't have to defrag anything, I haven't had to buy new software in all this time [[I did upgrade from Tiger to Leopard OS AS A CHOICE, but Tiger would have continued to run everything I needed), and the best part of all is that consistently, when I turn on my computer in the morning, it works. Certainly there are updates, but they always install correctly and they always work equal to or better than the release before - unlike Windows where any installation is a hit and miss proposition where you have a 50-50 chance of screwing up your machine so badly you need to hire a guru to figure out how to fix it even if you yourself already ARE a guru, and unlike Windows where every update of anything is WORSE than the one before, running more slowly and less efficiently.

As for the cost, there's no comparison. My Mac has paid for itself many times over in just what it's saved me in Windows software and hardware update costs alone. And, like I said, when I turn it on, it just works. I've got all the time I used to spend tweaking and fixing my PC just to get it running, free to post on forums like this! The only thing anyone could possibly miss is having that free time to go to the bathroom and/or warm up a pot of coffee while the PC takes its 10 minutes booting up and telling you everything that's wrong with itself. Macs just start in 20 seconds and are ready to get to work.

PC = Perpetual Crap. PC's are for people who are too stupid to realize the amount of time they are wasting trying to keep those things running.
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 07:21 AM.

I've never had any problems with my PC that I couldn't fix in a few minutes. And that comes from a guy who has no idea about the workings of an Ipod, Wii, or blackberry. All my cell phone does is take and make phone calls.

DetroitDad Guest

I used a Mac at work and I loved it. I wish I had the money for one right now. Windows is garbage. You can have a Mac with all the great programs and non of the problems and constant frustrations.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-16-09 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Typo

You used a PC at work and loved it, but Windows is garbage? What was on the PC? Linux?

Oh, you meant Mac? Makes more sense that way.

Don'tcha hate it when someone makes a bad typo, and you comment on it, and they edit the original? LOL jcole; been there done that.

cheddar bob Guest

I've been running Windows from M.E.[[gasp) to Vista [[gasp), and I've never had a problem installing updates [[it's set to do it automatically), I don't have to buy software all the time [[or ever), and when I get up in the morning it just works. But then again I'm not a complete moron, so I can do the simplest of things like add an update manually without managing to crash the OS at a 50% clip. Some people aren't as lucky as me. Those people buy Macs.
    Last edited by cheddar bob; June-16-09 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    I've been running Windows from M.E.[[gasp) to Vista [[gasp), and I've never had a problem installing updates [[it's set to do it automatically), I don't have to buy software all the time [[or ever), and when I get up in the morning it just works. But then again I'm not a complete moron, so I can do the simplest of things like add an update manually without managing to crash the OS at a 50% clip. Some people aren't as lucky as me. Those people buy Macs.
    Hm...if I had the nerve I'd guess the reason that computer never has trouble is that it's never used for anything more advanced than playing Solitaire. [[Well, I'm only half kidding; if you "never" buy software that's pretty much all you've got....)

When you start running the more advanced programs, Windows can't handle them. I remember the dreaded having to reboot every time you closed a few programs, just so you could get back the memory those programs used up. Silly! That's what closing the program should be all about!

Yeah, Ray, I guess he just couldn't stand to admit he made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Don'tcha hate it when someone makes a bad typo, and you comment on it, and they edit the original? LOL jcole; been there done that.
    LOL! I for one am very glad that this particular forum lets you edit the original - at least for a while. I wouldn't be so cruel as to do it "after the fact" once somebody had already found something wrong in one of mine - but on the other hand I have many times looked back at one of my old ones BEFORE somebody's commented on it and fixed typos myself.

What I REALLY hate are some other boards where you CAN'T edit anything you've already posted, even if you've already made some really glaring stupid mistake that makes you look like a dolt that never got past kindergarten. I take a lot of pride in my writing, so I really hate it when I look back at one of my posts and cee I did sumthig stoopid like ths.

Cheddar, I've run every version of DOS/Windows from DOS 4.0 to 6.1, Windows 3.11-Vista and Windows 7 Beta, and I don't understand all the problems people have with it. I run video editing software, music software, I have installed CAD packages for co-workers on XP, and they ran great. I've done database work, installed C++, FoxPro and VisualBasic. I run MS Office on a daily basis as well as make calendars for my family every year, and watch television exclusively on my PC. I just don't get the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Cheddar, I've run every version of DOS/Windows from DOS 4.0 to 6.1, Windows 3.11-Vista and Windows 7 Beta, and I don't understand all the problems people have with it. I run video editing software, music software, I have installed CAD packages for co-workers on XP, and they ran great. I've done database work, installed C++, FoxPro and VisualBasic. I run MS Office on a daily basis as well as make calendars for my family every year, and watch television exclusively on my PC. I just don't get the problems.
    Well there you go. Once you're working directly with C++, FoxPro, and VisualBasic, you are the computer equivalent of a rocket scientist. That explains it.

Running a Mac doesn't require rocket science, which is exactly my point.

Yes, it felt like "dumbing down" when I first made the switch. I mean, going from all sorts of sophisticated commands to just opening applications and using simple click and drag and copy and paste to just put things together the way I wanted them. It felt just like cheating! You mean I can just drag a picture in there and put it where I want it to go? I don't have to do a bunch of fancy insert commands and repixelizations and format redefinitions?

But by way of analogy, if all you need to do is solve an arithmetic problem, why use calculus? Mac does everything I need - just much more simply and much more easily. And when you're at home rather than at work, there's nothing wrong, shameful, or embarrassing about doing things the easy way. Even if it takes a month or two before you stop feeling guilty about it! Besides, if I ever REALLY HAD to use Windows [[and I haven't in years) I guess I could always pull the doorstop - I mean PC - back out of the attic and go make myself another pot of coffee while waiting for it to boot up and update itself and.....oh, no, I couldn't. Scratch that thought. To have to go through all that would be too horrible to contemplate. After all these years of operating efficiently and quckly I no longer have the patience to even think about ever going back to that nightmare again).

It's high time computers were judged by how EASY they make it for even the least skilled people to do things, rather than by how much opportunity they provide for expert users to show off.
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 10:54 PM.

Once you're working directly with C++, FoxPro, and VisualBasic
    I said I installed it. I have done work with those languages, but I know very little. Just what I had to learn to graduate with a degree in MIS

I don't have to do a bunch of fancy insert commands and repixelizations and format redefinitions?
    When's the last time you used Windows.
    You can click and drag in Windows. you have right click drop down menus that give you shortcuts for tasks also. I drag stuff around all the time.
    I mean, after all, Bill stole Windows from Steve, didn't he? Or so he would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    When's the last time you used Windows.
    You can click and drag in Windows. you have right click drop down menus that give you shortcuts for tasks also. I drag stuff around all the time.
    I mean, after all, Bill stole Windows from Steve, didn't he? Or so he would have us believe
    I know - I exaggerate a bit. But still, I maintain that moving things between applications is much more straightforward in most Mac applications. I do have quibbles with some of them - for instance, I HATE Mac's iPhoto application for organizing pictures. I don't even use it; I file them in folders the way I would in Windows. And certainly the office automation software doesn't have near the number of bells and whistles as Microsoft Office. But on the other hand, it does everything I really need it to, and when people send me Office document attachments, iWorks can open them. The Pages word processing application on Mac even opens Office 2008 .docx documents - which is more than can be said for any version of Word before 2008. And in the ultimate example of just how Mac RULES over Microsoft, my own parents still have Windows and they are constantly e-mailing me MICROSOFT documents that their WINDOWS PC's can no longer open, and then I use my MAC to open these old MICROSOFT documents for them! Microsoft is a system of planned obsolescence, designed to force you to upgrade every couple of years whether you need to or not, at the cost of hundreds of dollars. That is why I say in the long run, switching to Mac pays for itself. Their computers may cost more at the beginning, but you can get a lot more use out of them without having to constantly pay for upgrades and replacements.

Now of course on Mac, there is no such thing as a right mouse button, and I admit that is a downfall that does take a little getting used to....but with a little help from the keyboard, all the functionality is still there....
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 11:19 PM.

Oddly enough, if it wasn't for Microsoft, Apple might not be in business today. Bill Gates has kept them from going under. He bought $150 million in Apple stock to keep them afloat, and he and Jobs signed a technology agreement, and Bill developed Office for Mac and IE for Mac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast