Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

highjinx Guest

Default Winning Caps: Royal Crown Cola or Double Cola

Which was the cola company that had a chance of winning small cash prizes or a free cola; all you had to do is pry the cork liner out to see if you won.
    My fading memory in this area seems to dictate it was Double Cola?
    What do you think? I searched for a winning cap on either but came up empty handed.

Definitely Double Cola. Johnny Ginger used to do the TV commercials for it locally.

Wasn't Double Cola bottled in Detroit by Vernors?

RC was bottled by Vernors. I can recall Coke did the same sort of thing in the mid 1980's [[offer cash prizes in bottle caps).

Thank you, Detroit Planner. The [[small) RC logo was on the right front of the bottling plant. Clashed a bit with the green.....

Thanks for the memory jog. I had completely forgotten about the cork insert on bottle caps. I recall contest's but no one in particular. I do remember pealing the cork though.

Yes, we would peel out the cork, then put the caps on the outside of our hat or jacket, with the cork on the inside. The caps would stay put. You could have a nice collection of different caps on your hat.

I remember the RC because mom would take us by bus to the cultural center all the time. In the early 1970's the first science center opened up. It was down a side street E of Woodward Across from the Vernor's Plant. She would bring us to the plant to let us watch the pop get made and we would get vernors from a pop machine in the lobby.