Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Not sure if I can make this one [[haven't been to a DY Pic-a-Nic for several yars now....if I can show up, I'll bring some sho nuff Det R&B moosic...

I will be there as usual with a fresh fruit platter, some ghetto-blaster brews and a jazz lover in tow.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

and a jazz lover in tow.
    Is he a grumpy pipe smoker by any chance??

I am planning to bring an apple pie which certain folks can attest to its qualification as a not half-bad concoction. Doubt the bride will attend.

I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Gazhekinini and I will try our best to be there. I believe I will bring my family's signature dish, maple baked beans, along with some tubesteaks and brews.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I believe you are correct. The veil of mystery will flutter earthward, angels will hark the coming and the heavens will part in glorious triumph as both birds and beasts kneel in awe at such a wonderment.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I will be there as usual with a fresh fruit platter, some ghetto-blaster brews and a jazz lover in tow.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.
    No booze allowed. You will also need to get a rental permit.
    http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchCriteria.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Correct. Despite the No Alcohol signage, we decided to forge ahead with this location. Please be discrete with your choice of beverage.

Not sure what you think we need to reserve...we're not camping, and we are not using the harbor or the picnic shelter. We bring our own tables, chairs, canopies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I bet you were fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Gnome is correct though I could not articulate it as well as he did.

11. Default

My understanding, when I inquired with the management, was that the pavilions were available for rent, if one wished, but that there was no policy on picnicking on your own. It seemed almost as if they had never been asked before. One of those situations where the four of them looked at each other and on one had an answer. They definitely did not say anything like 'no'. 'no way' etc. even I pressed them on this to make sure.

On the contrary they treated me warmly, seemed intrigued that anyone would do it and seemed welcoming in that they wanted people to use the park. I got the feeling that they don't get that many visitors and are looking for people to interpret the space.

There is a 'no alcohol' sign at the up-river entrance but none at the main entrance. So it is not clear if that refers to the peninsula side only. That entrance is used primarily by fisher-folk, so maybe an issue arose there in the past and they felt a need to deny it there.

There is a vacant lot next to the hilltops, site of the failed Watermark Condos, that fisherfolk get into, so one could presumably wander over there and grab a drink there if it is that important. For my part I can take it or leave it.

No one patrolled the area so I can't imagine it being an issue is someone snuck a snort from their flask. I got the feeling that they just don't want it visible and people getting crazy.

I do think it important that we respect the park as we do with Belle Isle.

In a worse case scenario, there is a vacant lot across Atwater, next to the Dequindre cut bike path but I just get the vibe that everything will work out.

I think we can survive without brew for one picnic. It will be fun! We can all go out for beer after we close down the park, if we aren't too exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    While you're there, could you take pictures of the drydock company? Is that project under way by now?
    News of the Globe Trading Company building....

DNR expects a million visitors a year to Detroit riverfront discovery center
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012052...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Discretion is the better part of valor! I don't think anybody is going to have a problem with booze or beer, it's not like we're planning chaos!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    News of the Globe Trading Company building....

DNR expects a million visitors a year to Detroit riverfront discovery center
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012052...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Thanks for the link Kathleen, and I realize that this isn't the thread for saying so... but the use of a different building material on the signage part of the "1/2 Globe" building rehab looks rather cheezy.... as though someone slapped a 1960s era HCMA sign onto the building.

If they don't allow a picknick, call it a flash mob!

I'll be in town over Memorial Day weekend but not the weekend of the picnic.

Would love to attend one of the picnics.

Print these out but use discretion.

Alcohol is not prohibited in Milliken State Park per this 2012 list:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1330--,00.html

The peninsula, where the sign is posted, is not part of Milliken State Park:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...67165968277946
    Last edited by East Detroit; May-23-12 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks, East Detroit!

C'mon, a week to go, Dyesers, make plans to show up! It's a great time and you get to meet Kathleen!

Stromberg2

After being MIA since the one in 2005, I think I will try to make this one...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I'll be in town over Memorial Day weekend but not the weekend of the picnic.

Would love to attend one of the picnics.
    DetroiterOTWC: Hope you have had a nice visit home! Sorry this year's picnic date didn't work out for you. Maybe next year!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    C'mon, a week to go, Dyesers, make plans to show up! It's a great time!!
    Thanks, Stromberg2! Yes, if you are planning to come, leaning strongly toward attending, hoping to attend...please post, so that we can be sure that we have enough food and supplies.

Looks like we will see some first-time picnic attendees so am looking forward to lots of good conversation!!!

In the words of Willie Hutch, I'll be there!

[[Don't know what or who I'll bring... decisions like that are not good for 2:26am)

[Edit by Moderators. Some off-topic posts may have been removed. This thread is for discussion of the picnic, call outs and its planning only. Please keep the discussion on those topics. Returning now to Kathleen's post regarding permitting...]

From all the research I've done, there are no permits to be gotten. We don't need a picnic reservation unless we plan to rent the shelter, which we are not doing. They don't require picnic permits to have a picnic on the grassy areas in the park. We are bringing picnic canopies, tables, and chairs for our gathering.

Rest assured that we will leave the place as clean as we find it, if not more.

Please join us and get to know us before making assumptions about us and our character!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast