Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 10th Annual DetroitYES Picnic, Sunday, June 3, 2012 - Milliken State Park!

Picnic, anyone?

The 10th Annual DetroitYES Picnic takes place on Sunday, June 3, 2012 at Milliken State Park. Please scroll down to post 17 of the thread for further details. Please note that we have tidied up this thread. Post containing previous discussion when we were determining site location have been move here.

That's right! This year's picnic will be held one week after the Memorial Day holiday weekend. We hope that will enable more Forumers to join us!!!!

Sooooo......MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!!!

I'll post more information as the date gets closer.

If you have questions, please post or PM me. Thanks!!

Kathleen

Looking forward to it as always. Wife even knows what she plans to bring to the potluck. She has been on a Greek cooking binge so it will be spinach cheese pie, mousaka and baklava. All home made.

This year planning on bringing our "good" dog. The shepard mix. Sarge is the best. Putz, the puggle is getting old and crabby.

Street Prophet #174 Danny is coming representing the Street Prophets and old Detroit Photos, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Street Prophet #174 Danny is coming representing the Street Prophets and old Detroit Photos, too.
    Awesome. Glad you can make it Danny.

If it is on the same date as the race that would give me something to do!

We are at our favorite [[rented) cottage each Memorial Day weekend, and have never made the DYes picnics. Hoping to make this one!
    Peace.

Well, for some reason my last two posts never showed up. One more try: We are always at a rented cottage on Lake Huron, Memorial Day weekend. It would be nice to make it to a DYes picnic, and meet the posters. Will check in to get a firm date!

After weighing our options, we've decided that we will have this year's picnic at Milliken State Park.

Lowell visited the park and has put together a webisode with a lot of information about the site and its amenities and rules and nearby sites:
    http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/...en-state-park/

I think being close to the river, being within site of downtown Detroit, and having both the Dequindre Cut and the RiverWalk close by as well as the Globe Trading Company building makes for a great atmosphere. We'll be able to hear the race cars on Belle Isle too!

Dave and I will arrive at the park around 11am. We'll be bringing the grill, tables, picnic canopy [[maybe two), chairs, and supplies.

If you plan to join us, please post so that we can get an idea of how many are coming and can plan accordingly for picnic space as well as plates, cups, plasticware, etc.

This year's picnic will be at Milliken State Park...

See my updated post in Detroit Connections at:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-SAVE-THE-DATE!!!

That's where I'll be posting additional information as needed.

Nice choice, Kathleen! I'll be there. Very excellent spy work, Lowell!

Stromberg2

Put me down for two.

I am a long time lurker, first time posting. I would like to attend the picnic. Is it for adults only or can kids come?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
    I am a long time lurker, first time posting. I would like to attend the picnic. Is it for adults only or can kids come?
    Welcome, detroitlove!! Our DYes Picnic is a family event. Children are welcome. So we hope to see you there!!

Hey Detroitlove,

I'm a lurker too. I say a little bit here and there. I went last year and had a great time. Looking forward to going this year.

Count me in for one Kathleen! The wife and kids would be bored with all of our Detroit discussing unfortunately.

BTW...Somebody brought this dessert called, I think, Sand Pail Pudding. I can feel the sugar buzz already! I hope that will be there too. I'll bring my shovel.

C'mon DYessers, it's a great time! Join in on the fun!!

Stromberg2

My wife [[midwesthostage) and I are excited to finally get to come to one, so count us in for two.

Finalized Details + We need your input!

Date: Sunday, June 3
    Place: Milliken State Park, located at 1900 Atwater St, between Orleans and St. Aubin

View a map and pictures of Milliken State park in this webisode with a lot of information about the site and its amenities and rules and nearby sites.

Starts at 12 noon and runs until late afternoon.

Dave [[aka The Grillmaster) and I will bring a grill, chairs and tables, and picnic canopies as well as plates, napkins, plasticware, and cups, hotdog and hamburger buns, condiments, munchies, starter beverages, and other necessities. Everyone brings their own chairs, beverages, and meat or other grill item, plus a dish to pass and a dessert or munchies.

Please help us plan for this event by responding to this thread and letting us know that you are interested in attending, how many are in your party, and what dish you plan to bring to pass.

If you have never attended a DYes gathering, the picnic is a great way to meet and make new friends who care about the Detroit-Windsor metropolitan community. Please join us!!

If you have questions, please post or PM me.

Thanks!!

Kathleen

Moderator Note: This thread has been tidied up. Post containing previous discussion when we were determining site location have been move here.

18. Default

Lowell and Mrs. Lowell will be there.

For those of you who have never attended a DYES picnic, you are in for a laid-back, friendly and interest event. You will meet others who regardless of opinions all genuinely care about our great international metropolis and its future. Meeting face to face is great way to humanize that core fact.

I look forward to seeing you all and meeting new folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Picnic, anyone?

The 10th Annual DetroitYES Picnic takes place on Sunday, June 3, 2012 at Milliken State Park. Please scroll down to post 17 of the thread for further details. Please note that we have tidied up this thread. Post containing previous discussion when we were determining site location have been move here.

That's right! This year's picnic will be held one week after the Memorial Day holiday weekend. We hope that will enable more Forumers to join us!!!!

Sooooo......MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!!!

I'll post more information as the date gets closer.

If you have questions, please post or PM me. Thanks!!

Kathleen

Will there be FREE FOOD?

It's pot luck... with people checking in with Kathleen to say what they're bringing.

Blueidone... are you bringing the legendary Sand Pail Pudding?? I'll bring an insulin needle along just in case...

Gnome, are you going to drag your sorry ass there on time this year?? I missed our "discourse" 2 years ago... and last year I had "plumbing issues". Kathleen, I'll probably bring mild Hungarian sausage [[for grilling). They're from the Dearmborn Sausage Company, and are very good.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces, as well as the usual crowd.

An excellent choice for the picnic. What would be the estimate of people attending I am going to talk my wife into making her famous rollups but I have to have a number for her.

While you're there, could you take pictures of the drydock company? Is that project under way by now?

Also, bring plenty of garbage bags.

I guess it's clear that I won't be coming.

Would be nice to see some faces behind the names in this forum.

Let me start by saying, this is me.

Holding the national soccer cup my club won in 2009. Same cup here.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-21-12 at 03:44 PM.

"Blueidone... are you bringing the legendary Sand Pail Pudding?? I'll bring an insulin needle along just in case... "

We are planning on going...but circumstances are in flux right now and I cannot confirm for sure. If we attend, Gistok, Sand Pail Pudding will be on the menu, so pack the insulin just in case...

My 96 yr old father is living with us now...not sure how he will be feeling...and that will determine whether we attend or not. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    An excellent choice for the picnic. What would be the estimate of people attending I am going to talk my wife into making her famous rollups but I have to have a number for her.
    Thanks, p699rrh51! As noted above, generally people bring a dish to pass...plus their own main course [[meat to grill or something else). Generally one batch of your recipe is plenty. Not everyone gets to try everything, but generally there is plenty to go around!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    While you're there, could you take pictures of the drydock company? Is that project under way by now?

Also, bring plenty of garbage bags.

Thanks, Whitehouse!

Not sure that anything is happening yet with the Globe/Drydocks building but I'm sure that we can get current photos.

Got the garbage bags covered!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast