Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Boy, 2, shot on Detroit’s west side

"Mayor Dave Bing called on parents to better raise their children to "stop the madness" and urged Detroiters to take back the city following the wave of youth gun violence."

And the cycle of violence continues, Mr Mayor...good luck with that "Better raise their children" initiative.... the people engaged in these activities have a completely different take on parenting skills. At what point do you say "oh my looks like my two adult family members are getting ready to engage in gun play - I'd better remove my toddler from the front yard and put him in to bed.

The Wild West had nothing on Detroit - Complete and utter madness....

Dave Bing keeps talking about parents...What parents? That's the problem. Two-Thirds of Detroit children under the age of 18 live in a female headed household. Bing needs to wake up...Detroit is not the Detroit it was when he played for the Pistons. Bing needs to read this 2010 report about the State of the Detroit Child.

http://datadrivendetroit.org/web_ftp...Drft_FINAL.pdf

^^^ Excellent Point. He is so out of touch or ignoring the obvious.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012031...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Okay, so the 46 year old grandmother's daughter's 18 year old boyfriend came over and insulted her, so said grandmother's 35 year old boyfriend shot him.

Again, if these are how these adults behave and live their lives, I doubt these kids have much of a chance. This is an old grandmother by Detroit standards, too - well into her 40's! These types of people just don't know how to act...how do you fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012031...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Okay, so the 46 year old grandmother's daughter's 18 year old boyfriend came over and insulted her, so said grandmother's 35 year old boyfriend shot him.

Again, if these are how these adults behave and live their lives, I doubt these kids have much of a chance. This is an old grandmother by Detroit standards, too - well into her 40's! These types of people just don't know how to act...how do you fix that?
    By doing nothing. It's what we have been doing here for the last 5 decades, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    By doing nothing. It's what we have been doing here for the last 5 decades, isn't it?
    Isn't that the plan anyway?

The rest of the crap [[Bing's press conferences, etc.) is just for the cameras.