Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sometime in the late 70s, I worked at Himelhoch's part time for a while. I remember a few places that were nothing but vending machines. The only people were a few attendants behind that kept the bins loaded. Some had sandwiches or soups/chilis, others had fruits, cold drinks like milk and juices in cartons. Seems like there was a way to warm the soups, maybe early versions of microwaves. I don't remember if they were Quickees or not.

I also remember a dive named Luigis that had good cheap Italian food lunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Sometime in the late 70s, I worked at Himelhoch's part time for a while. I remember a few places that were nothing but vending machines. The only people were a few attendants behind that kept the bins loaded. Some had sandwiches or soups/chilis, others had fruits, cold drinks like milk and juices in cartons. Seems like there was a way to warm the soups, maybe early versions of microwaves. I don't remember if they were Quickees or not.

I also remember a dive named Luigis that had good cheap Italian food lunches.
    Those were probably automats; not really vending machines but little doors in the wall and revolving lazy susan type things where you put money in the slot and got your choice of food. There would have been entrees, desserts, you name it. There were people behind the wall keeping things filled and hot or cold as the case would be. I know Detroit had a few, but they were super popular in New York in particular.

I loved Luigi's - was never there at lunch time, but they had a pretty good pizza at night.

There was a Qwikee Cafeteria [[besides the one on Big Beaver in Troy) in the Bingham Center complex at Telegraph & 13 Mile back in the 1980s and 1990s. Not sure if it is still there.

Was The Mayflower Coffee Shop part of a chain? Strikes me that there was one in New York City that used the same slogan. "As You Ramble On Thru Life, Whatever Be Your Goal, Keep Your Eye Upon The Doughnut, And Not Upon The Hole".

To answer my own question, yes. It was owned by The Doughnut Corporation Of America which had a chain of 24 shops from New York to Chicago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3