Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Globe Building Set to Begin Construction this Fall

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/new...%2Findex%2Easp

Looks like the state is still fully on board with the Globe Building project. According to the Riverfront Conservancy construction will begin this fall. Exciting!

Occurrence Guest

Good news. I remember walking in on a homeless guy taking a dump in place like 8 years ago the first time I visited the place. I always thought that was a cool building.

who owns this building?

The state?

Quote Originally Posted by wardwood View Post
    who owns this building?

It's owned by the city.

I'm always a little worried when I hear proposals projected so far out. If it really is a fall start date, I'd have rather them made it during the summer. This is "I'll believe it when I see it" one.

Efforts to bring new life to Detroit’s historic but derelict Globe Building on the east riverfront got fresh hope today with tentative approval of a $2 million tax credit and development plan.

The Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority voted this afternoon to begin the process of approving a plan put forward by Detroit-based Roxbury Group, a real estate development firm. The plan calls for Roxbury to receive a state-approved $2-million credit against the Michigan Business Tax as part of a $12.5-million renovation plan.
    http://www.freep.com/article/20120425/NEWS01/120425034/

Also in the article - more development!

In other action, the brownfield authority also approved tax incentives for an $18-million, 140-rental apartment building known as Harbortown Riverside Apartments to be built within the existing Harbortown complex on the east riverfront.

It'd be nice if they could keep some of the "ruin" aesthetics after the renovation... Kinda like America's version of Roman era ruins. It adds a bit of character to the area when juxtaposed against the great landscaping job they have done on the Riverwalk and Dequindre Cut, IMO.

Believe it or not, the U.S. does have examples of 19th century ruin aesthetics. A perfect example is the Tobacco Warehouse at the Brooklyn Bridge Park in Dumbo NYC. You don't have to travel to Rome to find people that get the importance of things like this. Lets hope this project maintains the character of this historic building and area.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It'd be nice if they could keep some of the "ruin" aesthetics after the renovation... Kinda like America's version of Roman era ruins. It adds a bit of character to the area when juxtaposed against the great landscaping job they have done on the Riverwalk and Dequindre Cut, IMO.

David DiRita, a partner in the Roxbury Group, told the brownfield authority that about half the historic structure would remain once the project is finished by late 2013. "It’ll be a mix of old and new when we’re done," he said.
    Anybody know why they feel the need to tear half the building down? Why can't they save it all?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Also in the article - more development!
    Rents for the new apts. are going to be about 1.40 per sq. ft. by my calculations. Meanwhile in another article, a Quicken exec. says they can't build apts. on the Hudson site until rents hit 2.00 per square foot and the Broderick is about 1.75. Why do they need 2.00?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Rents for the new apts. are going to be about 1.40 per sq. ft. by my calculations. Meanwhile in another article, a Quicken exec. says they can't build apts. on the Hudson site until rents hit 2.00 per square foot and the Broderick is about 1.75. Why do they need 2.00?
    You are remembering wrong.

Currently, rental rates in the greater downtown area run about $1.20 per square foot, but prospective rates at the Broderick Tower and other planned projects would be in the $1.50-per-foot range. But Cullen said rates would have to rise to about $1.75 per foot for a Hudson's site project to go ahead, even using various tax credits and other incentives.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012042...n-Quicken-jobs

Thanks. I couldn't remember where I saw the article. I'm still wondering why they need more money to build new on the Hudson site vs. Harbortown. Does Quicken want more profit because it's a high profile location? I would think the site is so well prepped with the footings already in place that startup costs would be a little less.

I cringe when I hear that the city own a certain building. The city has a history of allowing buildings to be purchased by so called investors who just sit on the properties for tax purposes and not doing anything with them. This is one of the reasons why downtown had deterioated in the past 30 years. This is also the reason why there are many dilapidated buildings and structures throughout the city adding tremendously to the blight and making the neighborhoods unsafe for the residents

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    Anybody know why they feel the need to tear half the building down? Why can't they save it all?
    I agree... this is appalling! The article mentions "partial" demolition... and then later they say 1/2 demolished? WTF??

What's the purpose of saving 1/2 a structure? Is that PARTIAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION?

Not at all happy about that... the entire building has survived the decades, only to be half torn down so they can do what.... add a modern addition... can't they do any "addition" with what is already there??

Why is it that they only do things half ass'ed in Detroit??

Hell I thought the Globe was torn down years ago. Good to see at least something happening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree... this is appalling! The article mentions "partial" demolition... and then later they say 1/2 demolished? WTF??

What's the purpose of saving 1/2 a structure? Is that PARTIAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION?

Not at all happy about that... the entire building has survived the decades, only to be half torn down so they can do what.... add a modern addition... can't they do any "addition" with what is already there??

Why is it that they only do things half ass'ed in Detroit??
    Couldn't disagree more. Check out the Legacy Tower here in Chicago: http://bit.ly/Ivdtds

I think there are a few less dramatic "preserve facade/gut or demolish building" projects going on now, too. Also, in Michigan, I think there are a few in Ann Arbor at this time.

Sure beats demolishing the whole thing, perfect being the enemy of the good and all.

This forum program keeps editing my url, just google "Legacy Tower Chicago" and it, and the story behind it, should come up.

Facadectomy [[a word coined disparagingly by preservationists) was done where only 1 facade of a building was showing anyway. The Globe Building doesn't abut up to other buildings. It's a standalone 4 sided building, where all 4 sides are showing.

Not quite the same thing... although like with the Legacy Tower, the Globe's interior will be gutted anyway. This is a much more radical change than saving a facade.

A million visitors a year is a massive overestimate considering the Detroit Zoo 2011 attendance was 1.2 million.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120522/NEWS06/120522025/

DNR expects a million visitors a year to Detroit riverfront discovery center

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said this morning it anticipates as many as a million visitors a year coming to its planned discovery center to be built in the historic Globe Building on Detroit’s east riverfront.

Features will include a 60-foot climbing wall, an archery range, simulator rides demonstrating kayaking and other water sports, and classrooms to teach schoolchildren and other visitors outdoor safety as well as the science of natural resources and wetlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    This forum program keeps editing my url...
    Because it contained the three-letter acronym yankee underscore Tango. TinyURL.com is one workaround for that problem: http://tinyurl.com/ckazruy.

I cant wait to see the completed project...sounds amazing and engaging and exactly the kind of things families with Children want. Also as an added perk its the view from my desk so i would love to see it all pretty-fied out there

Quote Originally Posted by wardwood View Post
    A million visitors a year is a massive overestimate considering the Detroit Zoo 2011 attendance was 1.2 million.
    I guess it depends how you count "visitors". You have to drive to the zoo, park, and pay to get in [[which is an inconvenience to some people). The Riverwalk is free [[some lots charge $3 I believe) and you can walk via the Dequindre Cut or take a bike there. There will be a ton more foot traffic in front of the Globe as opposed to the Zoo. I haven't seen it yet, but are they going to be charging to get in to use the space? If it's free to the public to walk in and see exhibits and use things, I don't see why they couldn't reach that number based upon the 3 million yearly Riverwalk visitor estimate.

^^^ Um, what is the 'Dequindre Cut'...? I've heard it referenced as some sorta walking pass-thru area on other threads... Where exactly is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Um, what is the 'Dequindre Cut'...? I've heard it referenced as some sorta walking pass-thru area on other threads... Where exactly is it?
    Zacha: Check out these webpages:
    http://www.detroitriverfront.org/dequindre/

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/cm/...dreCut_Map.pdf

And this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdAGmQKsq9w

When you join us at the DYes Picnic on June 3, there will be an opportunity to check out the Dequindre Cut as it is only a couple blocks from Milliken State Park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast