Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for feedback on Lasik eye surgery

Not a single person I know has had the Lasik surgery so I am looking to all the Yes-ers for a little help!

I have been target shooting for a while now and am finding that the older I get, the harder it is to focus on the sites on the gun and then focus on the target. How I long for the days of no glasses and clear vision!

I don't want to go into this with no knowledge. Other than commercials I hear on the radio or see on TV, I don't know where to start. I don't even know if it is my answer but it seems to be something I need check out!

Has anyone done Lasik? Who do you recommend? Any pitfalls? Good outcomes? Looking for someone maybe at DMC, Kresge Eye Institute.[[The Docs I have googled are in Novi, Troy and Dearborn. I want to stay close to home!)

Thanks!!

I was considering for the future a few years back but I've heard that for a lot of people that it's great for the first year or two but it lasts less than 10 years, maybe 10-15 if you're lucky and it slowly gets worse until it's worse than it was before the operation.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by riviera View Post
    I was considering for the future a few years back but I've heard that for a lot of people that it's great for the first year or two but it lasts less than 10 years, maybe 10-15 if you're lucky and it slowly gets worse until it's worse than it was before the operation.

Good luck.
    I've heard the same thing. I've also had people who have had the surgery for nearsightedness end up needing reading glasses afterwards to see close up.

My mom had it done and she found the same thing to be true. Dad had it done and he still can't see!

Quote Originally Posted by riviera View Post

Good luck.

My brother-in-law had it done a couple years ago. He is happy with the distance vision, but irritated that he now cannot see to do close work.

I am not one to mess with the non-regenerative systems of the body...much more interested in proving out the existence of the fabled Tibetan eye chart with exercises guaranteed to maintain the resiliency of youth, basically eye yoga.

That said, if you are sure you wish to go this way...I highly recommend this fellow. http://www.yaldoeyecenter.com/our-doctors/

I know that how a person carries themself and how they consider and treat others is not localized to one experience in life. Their character is apparent in many of the ways they deal with others.

I had a pure chance encounter with this guy on a flight to San Diego last year, and afterwards realized that if I ever considered this type of surgery...he is the only laser surgeon I'd trust.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    John

I had the opportunity to talk with Dr. Yaldo at length about my concerns over laser surgery. Told him my ex-girlfriend's father in Mendocino, CA made quite a living following botched surgery there a decade ago and highly recommended I give the procedure time to mature before considering it.

He was great...and very illuminating. I didn't know he'd developed new procedures until reading his biography after posting it above. Dude is a gentleman to the extreme, and knows his stuff thoroughly.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; March-11-12 at 09:35 PM.

Had mine done about 12 years ago by Henry Ford Optimeyes. Extremely happy with results, have had great vision up until about a year ago. They told me when I had it done that it wouldn't affect macular degeneration, and I could expect some deterioration when I reached this age. Still don't need glasses, and suspect some of my issues are due to other medications, but I do have a set of "cheaters" [[1.5X) I use occasionally. Will be getting an eye exam later this year to see what's going on for sure. But getting rid of those glasses for so long has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself! Well worth it!

I've heard many success stories like Bluenote's, some horror stories, and some that are in between [[bad night vision, needing glasses for reading, vision corrected but not all the way to 20/20, etc). Like most anything, your mileage may vary. There is a good chance it will work well for you, but there certainly are no guarantees. I personally will NEVER mess with my eyes. Ever. As much as I hate glasses and contacts, I choose to live with those rather than take any chances with my vision. Just my opinion!

Jim, I too said I would never mess with my eyes but now that I have a hobby that requires better vision, I thought I'd at least entertain the idea. I now have a place to start!! Thank you all!!

Likewise heard all the above results which averaged out to general overall satisfaction but not enough to sell me. For me it would likely mean swapping near sightedness for far. Only a couple of people I know got both. I do that already with soft contact lens and if far-sightedness is your goal, consider that solution. I have better than 20/20 with contacts, great for my passion for handball. Yet when I need to do close in work out they come and I have excellent natural vision.

I believe the consensus is unless your vision is really bad or you are over 70 years old it's not worth it.

Pavel Datsuk trusts his eyes to Dr. Rahmani, you should too. lol sorry couldn't help it.

Had mine done aobout 10 years ago and still see perfect. Best thing I have ever done. My vision was really poor before the surgury to the point all I could see was fuzzy blobs of color without my glasses. It was incredible that as soon as they flipped the flap back into place I could see al l be it a litle smudgy due to the adhesive or whatever it was. Doctor told me I had 20/15 vision when all was said and done, so I asked himwhat it was before as I never really asked and he told me it was 20/1600. Not a bad improvement for 15 minutes.

So count me as a supporter.

Oh yeah, got mine done at the Rosenbaum Eye & Laser Center in Lansing.
    Last edited by gumby; March-17-12 at 11:20 PM. Reason: adding where I got it done at.

Did it 5 years ago. Best money I ever spent.

Wore glasses from age 5, couldn't do contacts because I can't put my fingers in my eyes [[still to this day). My vision was terrible: -7 and change in one eye, -8 in the other.

5 years later, amazing results. I see better than 20/20 and my vision checks out consistently at post surgery level.

Had my procedure done by this Doctor: http://www.healthgrades.com/physicia...-everett-xgys3

Very knowledgeable, didn't try to "Sell" me on anything. Told it like it was and left the decision to me. 1 price covered everything from pre op to all post op checkups. Everything happened exactly as he said it would. Very professional.

Good luck!