Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Boston Blvd, lot on south side - architectural historian question

Anyone have an image of the house that used to stand on this lot, and know when it came down? Boston Blvd West, first block, south side. Thanks!

Name:  boston blvd.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  56.7 KB

There never was a house there. It was never developed.

Thanks! Interesting.

I think the Burton house is adjacent to this empty lot...maybe it was part of the "estate" at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    There never was a house there. It was never developed.
    This seemed to happen in Detroit's 'better' neighborhoods of that time. For instance, I know there are a number of never-developed parcels in Indian Village. We used to play baseball in these vacant lots as kids.

Building in these areas continued through the '20s, but then the depression hit and building pretty much stopped. What building was going on in Detroit was of smaller houses further out where land was cheaper. And by the time the good times came back after WWII, the city and the world had changed and the best houses were now being built in what had been the hinterlands.

Google Street View shows some pretty old trees in there.

Maybe some nature lover wanted to preserve it.

Looking at Streetview I didn't see any evidence of a curb cut or a driveway intersecting with the sidewalk either.

While the curbing appears to be "newer", the sidewalk is definitely showing it's age.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This seemed to happen in Detroit's 'better' neighborhoods of that time. For instance, I know there are a number of never-developed parcels in Indian Village. We used to play baseball in these vacant lots as kids.

Building in these areas continued through the '20s, but then the depression hit and building pretty much stopped. What building was going on in Detroit was of smaller houses further out where land was cheaper. And by the time the good times came back after WWII, the city and the world had changed and the best houses were now being built in what had been the hinterlands.
    There was a large, double-depth lot on the NE corner of Boston and Third next to the Briggs House. The owner of the Briggs house maintained it and, visually, it was a part of his property. Perhaps 15 or so years ago, the lot was sold and a very large new house was built on it.

Name:  Briggs House.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  43.4 KB
    The Briggs House

Name:  New House.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  42.6 KB
    The new house

Of the postwar houses in Boston-Edison [[just sitting here, I can think of 10), this new house is IMO perhaps the second-best fit.

That happened in South Windsor as well - 1920's neighbourhood laid out with sidewalks and services that ended up with a few large houses built, then nothing until the 50's ranch houses went in. One neighbourhood just got sidewalks before the depression and is now dense forest with regular sidewalks, sewers, and fire hydrants.

But in Boston Edison, there used to be a large flemish gabled house I think on Edison, south side, between Woodward and the first alley - seem to remember it being burned out in the early 1980's but haven't found a pic of it.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post

But in Boston Edison, there used to be a large flemish gabled house I think on Edison, south side, between Woodward and the first alley - seem to remember it being burned out in the early 1980's but haven't found a pic of it.
    I remember this house. It was very dark and foreboding and cast an impossible to ignore pall over the approach and entrance to Edison. It had stood vacant and open for a number of years and apparently the owner had no intention of either securing or rehabbing it.

After various unsuccessful attempts to have the owner deal with the situation, It may have been set afire by a group of neighborhood vigilantes so that it would have to be torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think the Burton house is adjacent to this empty lot...maybe it was part of the "estate" at one time?
    I do not think it was part of the Burton property. Although a search through the Sanborn maps might answer the question. a picture of the home from 1916 does not show the fence that is currently there. Also the empty lots in Indian Village were mostly owned by one resident, he purchased them after a couple of the ugly homes were built in the late 50's early 60's.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Have to say that the house next to this one might be my favourite house in a city of terrific houses - the perfect green tile roof, strange asymmetry, fantastic windows, beautiful entry. Love it. Sign me up.

Name:  boston.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  69.1 KB