Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Model D office in former Zoot's building.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...in-midtown.php

So, does this mean that they are moving out of their old place or are they expanding? My guess is just moving. Anyone know where they're at now?

I'm pretty certain that they are currently in the FD Lofts on Russell.

how long ago was that Zoot's? 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    how long ago was that Zoot's? 20 years?
    They closed in the late 90's/early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    They closed in the late 90's/early 2000s.
    Zoot's ran from 1994 until 1997. It was a powerful maelstrom of all types convening at one location for reasons that never have been repeated again. Far from perfect, I took for granted all that went down there. There were a lot of businesses that ran out of the basement: Soul in the Hole records, Idle Kidz, A techno and skate shop. It's for the best it closed down, there were a couple of statutory rapists working there-one of them was my roommate, one of them was a huge Indie-promoter, the other was a drummer in my band.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    It's for the best it closed down, there were a couple of statutory rapists working there-one of them was my roommate, one of them was a huge Indie-promoter, the other was a drummer in my band.

How did they feel about you turning them in for their crimes?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    How did they feel about you turning them in for their crimes?!
    The question is "did". No. I didn't. I definitely should have with one or two [[but one of them fled back to Barcelona-and if it involves 33-yo. with a 14 yo.-it is a crime!). It's one of those things you find out much later or re-assess what really went down. To be honest, I wouldn't care one bit about what anyone of them "feels". Mercy and justice have to be balanced, yet, justice has to be there. It's not like I'm looking to have anyone pull out anything incriminating on me to make me a hypocrite [[Like LBJ told Hoover "Anything you got on me, I'll take to the public, first".).Maybe I was a tad too embellishing by even mentioning it, but it's the type of thing that biles up my throat as a balanced and overly-direct counter-point to any praise I want to give the place [[and once I get a-typin'...digital diary becomes digital diarrhea, baby). So, forget all you saw here. Zoot's never existed in any way, shape, or capacity-right?
    Last edited by G-DDT; October-12-14 at 08:07 PM.

Okay-snuh guh duh derp derf-and this is where I eat crow here. Pardon my misinformed righteous indignation. After examining some of Michigan's laws [[yet, I still don't know what they were in the 1990's), I guess the issue of ages apart [[regarding no more that five), if consent was involved, and if the person was above or below 16 years of age comes into play. So, should I rail on those who I know engaged consentially with 16 and 17 year olds when they were anywhere from 20-23 years of age?! Regardless, the one promoter who got with a 14 yo. was one guilty mug.

I was wrong. Zoot's was from 1993-1997.

Here is a FB site cataloging the snowballing effect it was riding https://www.facebook.com/groups/170702259718026/photos/ . You can view pics of the performers, former roommates, band members, short-eyed pervs, stoners, straight-edges, and assorted talented folk I happened to rub elbows with at the time.

This does not capture very early Zoot's when shows were maybe once a week, very local, and kept mostly to Cass Corridor folk [[like I was) who gathered for things like Veggie Potluck Thursdays.

Every era has a Zoots.
    The guys who ran this place lived under one motto; close ass with extreme prejudice. According to G-DDT’s allegations, they should have changed the name to “Close Ass/Hit Aerofoil”

Veggie Potluck ThursdayÂ’s?
    Code for close ass ThursdayÂ’s.
    Those wolfs threw me out once because I had braces on my teeth and juice boxes on my person; I looked suburban but reality was I lived on Prentis and drank Mogen David between classes at Wayne.
    I thought the Juice boxes would be a good, clean icebreaker...but I now know they were an obstacle to the rape proceedings.
    It went like “take your Boku’s and get out” , I told em “they aren’t Boku’s, they are traditional boxed Apple juice with insertable staws”.

Anywho...a few years ago I lived in an ultra conservative condo in Connecticut, these snobs looked down anything not old money [[ridiculous, I know) and that kid from Detroit, me. God knows why, I was just what the building needed!
    My neighbor was a publisher who would leave unread or unfinished proofs on the lobby bookshelf for all to partake. Once while getting mail, I spyed “Detroit Rock City” and opened at random...to a page where Rachel Nagy is quoted as to ‘getting kicked out of Zoots, going and buying a bunch of malt liquor, returning and pissing on everything ,how she peed on every sofa, corner...everything she could pee on, she peed on.
    Like you, I was thinking...RN, bastion of Detroit classiness...but also, in some circles urine & rape will get you everywhere Apple juice wonÂ’t.