Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The U.S. Needs a National Science Day

They have one in India. We just have something for 4-H ers.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...-and-faculties

Yes, we do. and more. I can tolerate [[barely) newscasters' lack of basic scientific knowledge like calling a gibbon a monkey, but when I see science programs like Nova improperly using terms like theory when they should use hypothesis, i get nearly apoplectic.

Oh no, there are people that get all crazy about scientific termanology just like English majors get about English?

But, but... science is HARD! It's so much easier to just say "Yay, Jesus!"

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”G.K. Chesterton

and that has what to do with science?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Oh no, there are people that get all crazy about scientific termanology just like English majors get about English?
    Yes. This is not simply about grammar, etc., it is about knowledge. Calling a Gibbon a Monkey, for example, is simply wrong -- they are a lesser ape and more closely related to us. Using theory when the correct term is hypothesis waters down the meaning of the word. Something gets to be theory-level only after significant amounts of experimental and observational data back it up. By misusing the word, people come to believe that a theory is "just a guess."

It would be nice if our K-12 science and math teachers had a background in science and math.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    It would be nice if our K-12 science and math teachers had a background in science and math.
    If that was the case then they would have gone into a profession where they could make some real money with a fraction of the hassle.

I don't think it's too much to ask that a science teacher have basic knowledge about the science s/he is teaching. Likewise with math. Math and science require the student to be able to retain what s/he has learned in order to build to a higher level. A number of teachers I have met site this as the main problem behind student achievement. A national science day would at least give science some prestige as information worth having. Unfortunately there is a concerted effort to undermine science's credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I think they do need a degree in sci or math - they did in NY when I taught there

I think we should start teaching physics to kids in elementary school. Also abandon the order of teaching kids biology, chemistry and then physics. Although physics is the basis for just about everything, we've attached this stigma to it that makes it sound like it's something only a genius could understand. In my opinion, if taught correctly, nothing could be further from the truth. We've been teaching science in the same order since the mid 1890's.
    And yes, I am partial to the Bucky Fuller school of thought.

You can never learn less, you can only learn more.
    Bucky Fuller

Bucky rules!!!

I loved the commemorative stamp. Possibly the best stamp issued by the US in my lifetime
    Name:  Buckminster-Fuller.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  21.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I think they do need a degree in sci or math - they did in NY when I taught there
    Apparently not in Michigan. Above elementary they're supposed to pass a certification test I believe. I don't know if that is a one-time requirement or ongoing. I also don't know what prevents a school from having a teacher without a science background from teaching science, since my children have experienced that more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I think we should start teaching physics to kids in elementary school. Also abandon the order of teaching kids biology, chemistry and then physics. Although physics is the basis for just about everything, we've attached this stigma to it that makes it sound like it's something only a genius could understand. In my opinion, if taught correctly, nothing could be further from the truth. We've been teaching science in the same order since the mid 1890's.
    And yes, I am partial to the Bucky Fuller school of thought.

You can never learn less, you can only learn more.
    Bucky Fuller
    I think about 10-15 years ago, it seems a lot of school districts started teaching Physics in 9th grade, followed by Biology, Chemistry, and then Geology.

The problem with that, as I found out when attempting to tutor a younger cousin, is that physics is incredibly difficult to explain in a coherent fashion without knowledge of at least trigonometry, let alone the calculus [[which was invented specifically to describe physical phenomona).

I don't see how you can teach a watered-down qualitative version of mechanics, then expect kids to grasp introductory college-level calculus-based physics that is necessary for anyone entering any sort of scientific field.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-12-12 at 11:14 PM.

From The TImes of India article:
    "The Science Carnival is going to be an event with a series of scientific activities and programs involving school and college students, eminent scientists and faculties of the state and country. We want to provide a real platform for the budding scientists to make their career and profession in science," said a senior Science City official. Officials said that they are expecting nearly 1 lakh students and science enthusiasts to visit Science City during this period.
    [1 lakh = one hundred thousand]

What a great idea. And "lakh" sounds like a great word to use. Since English uses so many foreign words already, it shouldn't be a problem incorporating lakh especially since we have no problem with tsunami.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I think about 10-15 years ago, it seems a lot of school districts started teaching Physics in 9th grade, followed by Biology, Chemistry, and then Geology.

The problem with that, as I found out when attempting to tutor a younger cousin, is that physics is incredibly difficult to explain in a coherent fashion without knowledge of at least trigonometry, let alone the calculus [[which was invented specifically to describe physical phenomona).

I don't see how you can teach a watered-down qualitative version of mechanics, then expect kids to grasp introductory college-level calculus-based physics that is necessary for anyone entering any sort of scientific field.
    Call me crazy, but I've always felt that students could comprehend algebra easier if they had a basic understanding of physics. I would also throw geometry and calculus into the mix. We actually begin to learn the basic principles of physics when we learn to walk. I had problems with algebra, but studied geometry as a hobby on my own time. I found calculus interesting but like many students never made it as far as physics. Which is a shame. Over time I became fascinated with physics as well as metaphysics.
    I'm probably over simplifying this, but I feel that the concept of what physics is limited to in theory limits the ability of students to comprehend it.

Begin with the fundamentals. I hope this makes sense.

I was pretty much a straight A student in math until I hit Calculus II, which fried my math neurons. Could barely add after that

Here's a remarkable math hurdle:

In 1995, Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's Last Theorem. Until then it was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as one of the "most difficult mathematical problems."

Mathematicians had been trying to prove it for 358 years then all of a sudden, but with some difficulty, he nailed it.

It's a very dramatic story. Weird and wonderful things happen in the stratosphere of the human mind.

One of the most extraordinary bios I ever read was about Paul Erdos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erd%C5%91s

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    One of the most extraordinary bios I ever read was about Paul Erdos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erdős
    The Man Who Loved Only Numbers is another good Erdős bio. His name is pronounced "airdish." He pretty much traveled the world doing mathematics and little else.

The Quiet Crisis in U.S. science

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...bLJCAv_Q&pli=1

So many kids are interested in a quick pay out so they are willing to be satisfied with working at a fast food place. They are not willing to delay gratification. They must have the ipod and cellphone now.

The Republicans will not tolerate a National Science Day.

This is the same party by which 3 of their presidential candidates want to eliminate the Dept. of Education.

Santorum thinks Harvard graduates are snobs.

And Rush Limbaugh thinks young white women are over-educated. [[not my words ....his).

As long as we have people who think like this in Congress, we will not see a National Science Day.

Harvard graduates are snobs, well, at least the ones I've met. but I think Santorum included ALL college grads.