Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dequindre Cut retail idea

http://pluraletantum.files.wordpress...3/midtown3.jpg

I can see something like this for the Dequindre Cut, a small health food store or "recreational" theme cafe/shop?

Nice!

There is just not enough traffic down there to make it work.

Once people hear it's retail down on the dequindre cut, they will come and check it out. It's pretty well used in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Nice!

Some sort of "pop-up" concept would work. It doesn't have to be 100% permanent. Or when one of those older warehouses gets renovated close by, something could go in the lower levels that's not too big or expensive to operate and can hibernate during the winter season. I bought lunch from a food truck in an underground tunnel recently so I'm convinced something like this is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Nice!

Make it a party store with a liquor license and there might be.

Os this pic from MSP? If you notice there are large buildings along the path that open out to pathway. This is something that the DC does not have. Having the buildings increases the use.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Make it a party store with a liquor license and there might be.
    Are you suggesting they put in a couple of gun stores too? How cliché!

I think that it'd be good to organize some sort of event like an art show, or something. Then you could get some food trucks or hot dog stands....but the traffic is low so a more permanent place may not be feasible right now.

i agree with wolverine, something like an ice cream stand or a lemon-aid stand would be awesome in the summer time, but i couldn't see full time retail such as cloths or even a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

Don't forget a dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    No.....but it's interesting how your mind went from A to F.

I don't think the Dequindre Cut needs retail to be an attractive public space. It's already an attractive public space.

How about a carousel, ice cream/sandwich shop, bike shop, rest rooms, fountains outdoor tables with a view of the river under a big canopy tent? That would be great.

[QUOTE=Gianni;308086]How about a carousel, ice cream/sandwich shop, bike shop, rest rooms, fountains outdoor tables with a view of the river under a big canopy tent? That would be great.[/QUO

Yes it would...but where will the people walk and ride their bikes?

I'm envisioning something similar to Hines Park. Can they throw some picnic areas and pavilions just off the sides of the cut? Do they have those already? I'm guilty of not checking it out yet....

I like the idea of using it as a pop-up something for a day or two, or of having some food trucks down there or something. It's an attractive public space and those two things go hand in hand.

But I do think we have an unhealthy fixation in this town on "economic development." You know, that it's not enough to have a beautiful park like Belle Isle; it has to have a 30-story green-engineering school with a gated campus, residential towers, mall, 500-space parking structure, 100 bowling alleys, etc. [[Just pick any idea that sounds like it's from the 1960s and throw a modern "green" spin on it.)

OK, I know. I am exaggerating as usual. But instead of junking up a pleasant recreational space with another Dashiki Row, why not ... I dunno ... let the space add to the general public happiness and welfare? Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    How about a carousel, ice cream/sandwich shop, bike shop, rest rooms, fountains outdoor tables with a view of the river under a big canopy tent? That would be great.
    I'm not sure if this comment was supposed to be sarcastic or not [[reading people's minds over the internet wasn't taught in college) but they already have pretty much that exact thing operating there. It's called the Riverwalk.

As for the pop up ideas, I think that would work. Kiosks or things of that nature would be able to operate in the warm weather months and pack up for winter. It would be much more attractive to a tenant that would have to be in that space year round because that would never survive. Simple things like ice cream, cotton candy, roller blade or bike rentals, things of that nature would work quite well one would assume.

Speaking of the Riverfront, here's some picture of the new Hart Plaza and State Park plans/concepts. Looks like a new restaurant will be on Hart Plaza like the Fountain Bistro in Campus Martius Park. Removal of the bowl/pool under the fountian, for a similiar fountain like GM's on the riverfront. Will there be an inviting NEW Hart Plaza entry-way sign with the plan?

http://www.tbany.com/images/uploads/...-tba-[[101).jpg

http://www.tbany.com/images/uploads/...I-tba[[103).jpg

http://www.tbany.com/images/uploads/...I-tba[[102).jpg

http://www.tbany.com/images/uploads/...I-tba[[104).jpg

http://www.tbany.com/images/uploads/...I-tba[[105).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm not sure if this comment was supposed to be sarcastic or not [[reading people's minds over the internet wasn't taught in college) but they already have pretty much that exact thing operating there. It's called the Riverwalk.

As for the pop up ideas, I think that would work. Kiosks or things of that nature would be able to operate in the warm weather months and pack up for winter. It would be much more attractive to a tenant that would have to be in that space year round because that would never survive. Simple things like ice cream, cotton candy, roller blade or bike rentals, things of that nature would work quite well one would assume.

A prefabricated building could be erected at the top of the Cut on Gratiot. Another structure could be erected at Franklin. A sporting good store could be put in one one of the structures where running shoes, bicycles, and other merchandise people could wear or use while walking, running, or riding in the Cut or the Riverwalk.

I've went to the Cut more than a dozen times last summer and fall. Perfect sunny weekends, middle of the afternoon and we never saw more than 10 people using it.