Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Paging English

Default Paging English

You have been missing for awhile. Everything OK?

Yeah, come back, we miss you!

Stromberg2

What they said!

Stromberg3

Yeah, I miss you English. Check your vmail....

Word......

Hey good people! I'm still here, but haven't been able to drop in. Thanks so much to Roq and Ravine for letting me know about the page.

There's been a ton of things that have happened over the past 6 months. My dad died in December, 3 short weeks before Christmas. Spent late December and early January helping my mom and grandmother move into senior housing. Then I started having vision trouble in early February. And in mid-February, I just accepted a position at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia... they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... so I'll be taking a leave from Wayne State starting this summer. Once I'm over on the East Coast, I'll rely on you good folks to keep me abreast of the Detroit news and happenings. I also hope to use the position to set up a grant funded program, and eventually a nonprofit, in Detroit.

Is anyone planning to hang out for Opening Day 2012? I'm bummed that I'm going to miss half the season and will be in Phillies territory... but I will wear my old English D with pride! Would love to do that, or get over to a FSC before the big move... and will definitely make it to this year's picnic if I'm in town. Last year's was marvelous.

Hope everyone's been enjoying the great weather!

Yes, we need to do an FSC!

Stromberg2

Ravine Guest

Somebody convince this dang fool girl to not wear that "D" to a Phillies game, those vicious bastards.

Hi English -- so sorry to hear about your father and about your vision troubles -- hopefully the vision problems were just something temporary. Best of luck to you on your new adventure in Philadelphia!

English, I too send my condolences for your recent trials. Losing a parent is very difficult and while words from strangers offer small comfort, please take measured solace in the kindnesses shown above.

Best wishes on your move to Philly. There is a similar forum in Philly called http://philadelphiaspeaks.com/ I'm sure you'll represent quite well.

Thanks, you guys. This has been one of the toughest years of my life. I never thought I'd move, especially not so soon. I will be home as often as I can, and I want to split my time and residency between both cities. There are a lot of similarities between the educational environments in both places, so I'm hoping to bring Philly teachers and students here to Detroit during the summers, and vice versa.

My first book was also recently published: http://www.obamaeraexperiences.com - I will give a heads up about any book signings we schedule.

Appreciate that Philly speaks site, gnome... I sill haven't figured out where I'm going to live. Everything seems so expensive for what you get.... Rents are averaging about 30% more than here, but Detroit is just 9 hours by car and NYC and DC are 2 hours by train. Guess I will have to invest in a train pass... And eventually maybe the Megabus will have links between the East Coast system and the Midwest.

So... FSC? When and where? And who's going to hang out on Opening Day?

Sorry about your dad, English. Hope your eyesight is improving, or at least not worsening... Congratulations on publishing your first book, and finally, hope to read more of your astute observations in spite of a tough schedule. Enjoy Philly, a great old city with lots to offer!

English: So sorry to hear about your dad!

I do wish you luck in Philly! Congrats on the book

Looks like I'm not the only one moving to Philly. Of course I'll miss the D, but it's only for a couple years...I hope.

Megabus is connected now, but you have to buy the segments individually, and go through Pittsburgh. To go to the East Coast from Detroit round trip, you buy four segments [[Det-Pit, Pit-Phl, Phl-Pit, and Pit-Det). There were some very cheap round trips last year if you did it that way. They have cut service now, and only have one Detroit -Pittsburgh bus each day. The buses are scheduled to be coordinated, and when we haven taken them, they have always been on-time, but Megabus does not want the liability for missed connections. If you do miss the connection, they are supposed to charge you five dollars [[no cash). You need a debit or credit card with credit card logo to pay.
    Last edited by rooms222; April-19-12 at 09:27 PM.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I hadn't seen English post in a while so I went to her page to look up her latest activity and I see this.

English, sorry to hear about your dad. I know it must be hard. Know that he must of been proud of the wonderful person you turned out to be. Congrats on the new job and book. Detroit just lost another great one. Hopefully you find the future rewarding and thanks for all the great contributions you made to DetroitYes.