Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is This The Beginning of the End for Rush

Rush has had an great radio run making multi-millions of dollars and almost every other station on the radio carries him. As I stated in an earlier post, in order to fire up the right leaning voters in this election, Rush along with the other right wing talkers needed to amp things up to generate some excitement.

Did Rush go too far this time ?

For certain ole Rushbo stepped in it - running his mouth - and will for some time be cleaning the particles off the fan!

However, most listeners to conservative talk radio realize he's one of the most bombastic of the crowd - not representing that entire voice.

Is he the only talking-head out that making inflammatory, sexist and otherwise inappropriate comments? Liberal writer Kirsten Powers says no.

From her article posted in the Dailybeast.com

Rush Limbaugh Isn’t the Only Media Misogynist

Kirsten Powers

Mar 4, 2012 10:00 AM EST Rush Limbaugh apologized on Saturday for calling a Georgetown Law student a slut for testifying about contraception and starting a firestorm of outrage. Kirsten Powers says the liberals who led the charge need to start holding their own side accountable.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...llow-suit.html

Did you know there is a war on women?

Yes, it’s true. Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann, Bill Maher, Matt Taibbi, and Ed Schultz have been waging it for years with their misogynist outbursts. There have been boycotts by people on the left who are outraged that these guys still have jobs. Oh, wait. Sorry, that never happened.

Boycotts are reserved for people on the right like Rush Limbaugh, who finally apologized Saturday for calling a 30-year-old Georgetown Law student, Sandra Fluke, a “slut” after she testified before congress about contraception. Limbaugh’s apology was likely extracted to stop the departure of any more advertisers, who were rightly under pressure from liberal groups outraged by the comments.

Let it be shouted from the rooftops that Rush Limbaugh should not have called Ms. Fluke a slut or, as he added later, a “prostitute” who should post her sex tapes. It’s unlikely that his apology will assuage the people on a warpath for his scalp, and after all, why should it? He spent days attacking a woman as a slut and prostitute and refused to relent. Now because he doesn’t want to lose advertisers, he apologizes. What’s in order is something more like groveling—and of course a phone call to Ms. Fluke—if you ask me.

But if Limbaugh’s actions demand a boycott—and they do—then what about the army of swine on the left?

article continues.....
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-08-12 at 06:30 AM.

I hope it is the beginning of a more civil public discourse. Those touting left leaning haters, I agree their statements are hateful. The reason they don't get ridden out on a rail is because they lack the power packed by Rush and his zealotous minions in the Republican extremes. The other side is not coming out with patently untruthful verbiage in the name of campaign slogans and platform planks, which are based upon the odious renderings of the left leaning pottymouths.

The backlash is more muted because the right leaners seem to be more tolerant of that kind of thing. After all, most of the candidates or their surrogates seem to come up with this stuff or watered down equivalents pretty regularly. Look at the crowds whipped into a lynching frenzy during the last campaign, forcing the candidate to step in to defend his rival.

Notice during this campaign, so far none of the prospective candidates have had the guts to step in and stem the tide of repulsive hateful discourse. Maybe this will be a good start, Rush's sacrifice will be the catalyst of a move to more civility, and maybe even discourse and mutual discussion instead of stonewalling. We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For certain ole Rushbo stepped in it - running his mouth - and will for some time be cleaning all the particles off the fan!However, most listeners to conservative talk radio realize he's one of the most bombastic of the crowd - not representing that entire voice. Is he the only talking-head out that making inflamatory, sexist and otherwise innappropriate comments? Liberal writer Kirsten Powers says no. But if Limbaugh’s actions demand a boycott—and they do—then what about the army of swine on the left?
    Any individual, group, or organization has a right to not buy the products of sponsors who support individuals who they do not favor. It is liken to changing the channel and not listening to viewpoints or shows that you do not like.Unfortunately, for those on the right they do not have the social media ability to organize nor do the have consumer power. Because most of the conservative base are senior citizens, who are not your consumer base nor are they on social media, their ability to forge a boycott is challenged.

^^^^ Good points Gazhekwe!

You really can't compare insulting rival pundits/journalists to the stuff Rush was saying. Not only was it cruel and disgusting, his point was totally false and just meant to stir up his audience.

And comments from the others are 'always' true and not meant to stir up an audience or at least garner attention and persuasion to a particular view or perspective?
    Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    You really can't compare insulting rival pundits/journalists to the stuff Rush was saying. Not only was it cruel and disgusting, his point was totally false and just meant to stir up his audience.

That's an interesting point. But that same older population are voters by and large.
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    Any individual, group, or organization has a right to not buy the products of sponsors who support individuals who they do not favor. It is liken to changing the channel and not listening to viewpoints or shows that you do not like.Unfortunately, for those on the right they do not have the social media ability to organize nor do the have consumer power. Because most of the conservative base are senior citizens, who are not your consumer base nor are they on social media, their ability to forge a boycott is challenged.

I didn't say that, but THIS incident was generally offensive to anyone that actually knew the facts. And it was spread rapidly by people via social media.

Honestly, it probably wasn't the worse thing that Rush has ever said, but it was the one that got the most attention.

And you still can't compare it to namecalling rivals in the media or politicians. I listened to him on the 2nd day and it was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And comments from the others are 'always' true and not meant to stir up an audience or at least garner attention and persuasion to a particular view or perspective?

Now he's calling a female author "overeducated."
    But Limbaugh's last comment on the matter: "What is it with all these young single white women, overeducated -- doesn't mean intelligent," he said. "Tracie McMillan, the author of this book, seems to be just out of college and already she has been showered with awards ... for social justice journalism."
    Michigan native perplexed by Rush Limbaugh's jabs at book

Just because he has two feet doesn't mean they both have to go into his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Now he's calling a female author "overeducated."Michigan native perplexed by Rush Limbaugh's jabs at book

Just because he has two feet doesn't mean they both have to go into his mouth.
    He is just saying this stuff for his customers [[who actually believe it). I would bet those he doesn't really believe 25% of his arguments.

Occurrence Guest

Rush Limbaugh is fat.

If none of the republicans have the balls to stand up to Limbaugh, how will they fare in international diplomacy?

Conservative writer and talk show host Michael Medved weighs in on the issue:

Rush Limbaugh’s Apology: Saving Conservative Line on Obamacare?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...obamacare.html

That article accuses Miss Fluke of having a "silly face-off" with Rush. I thought he was the only one fighting, she didn't say anything to him at all. I don't quite know how to characterize the tactic the author is using, something about attacking someone, then making them out to be an aggressor. False flag? Red herring? Straw man? Irritating tactic anyway, that probably works for the base.

Occurrence Guest

What's funny is that Rush Limbaugh isn't a conservative. How he became the unofficial voice of conservatives and conservatism is quite an amazing feat.

I thought it was hilarious several days ago when right wing George Wills pointed out that all the republican candidates [[excluding Ron Paul) think we should bomb Iran, but they're afraid to criticize Limbaugh.

Appearing on ABC’s “This Week” this morning, conservative pundit George Will MOCKED leaders of the Republican Party for their cowardly fear of right-wing radio blabber Rush Limbaugh:
    “[House Speaker John] Boehner comes out and says Rush’s language was inappropriate. Using the salad fork for your entrée, that’s inappropriate. Not this stuff,” Will said. “And it was depressing because what it indicates is that the Republican leaders are afraid of Rush Limbaugh. They want to bomb Iran, but they’re afraid of Rush Limbaugh.”

Occurrence Guest

I remember watching some interview that Ron Paul said he would like to challenge Rush Limpbaugh on some of the so called "conservative" policies he supported. As far as I know Rush has never had him on his show.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I thought it was hilarious several days ago when right wing George Wills pointed out that all the republican candidates [[excluding Ron Paul) think we should bomb Iran, but they're afraid to criticize Limbaugh.

Appearing on ABC’s “This Week” this morning, conservative pundit George Will MOCKED leaders of the Republican Party for their cowardly fear of right-wing radio blabber Rush Limbaugh:
    “[House Speaker John] Boehner comes out and says Rush’s language was inappropriate. Using the salad fork for your entrée, that’s inappropriate. Not this stuff,” Will said. “And it was depressing because what it indicates is that the Republican leaders are afraid of Rush Limbaugh. They want to bomb Iran, but they’re afraid of Rush Limbaugh.”
    Conservative, republican, right-winger, whatever.
    I think what's happening is that all of the dehumanizing, misogynistic, racist, and generally merciless assholes are huddling together. Strength in numbers, you know.
    Limbaugh is their spokesman. The Republican leaders aren't afraid of him. They are using their silence as a way of implying their support. They can't come out and say they side with him, so their failure to speak against him should be correctly interpreted as implicit approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think what's happening is that all of the dehumanizing, misogynistic, racist, and generally merciless assholes are huddling together. Strength in numbers, you know.
    Limbaugh is their spokesman. The Republican leaders aren't afraid of him. They are using their silence as a way of implying their support. They can't come out and say they side with him, so their failure to speak against him should be correctly interpreted as implicit approval.
    Good point. I could accept that theory too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I don''t think it's implicit approval. I think they're afraid of Rush and they think that maybe if they just ignore him, he'll just go away. I was listening to David Brooks the other day and he seemed mystified that all these guys were worried about Rush and that he [[Rush) could deliver voters. Brooks gave some examples of how this wasn't true and then said, "Rush couldn't deliver a pizza!"