Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2 + 2 = ? ["Two Plus Two Is On My Mind" by the Bob Seger]

My memories of "Two Plus Two Is On My Mind" by the Bob Seger System is of a viscerally compelling and extremely angry song, that I had hoped would have been rediscovered by some local band during the Iraq-Afghanistan wars era. I have personally approached several bands but they politely listen to me and go on with their original music - so be it.

Maybe the problem is that there has never been a real war protest over our military experiences in the Middle East, so no interest in exploring covering 2+2=?

But what a song!

All you have to do - young musicians of Detroit - is to change the lyric:
    foreign jungle land to foreign desert land and you would have an updated version - Also, the bass guitar should dominate, actually take the lead, even more so than in the original.

If you have been to as many VA hospitals as I have and seen the miracles performed their, and realize that as a visitor you are quickly out numbered by wheelchairs and scooters you begin to understand the human cost that modern warfare inflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    My memories of "Two Plus Two Is On My Mind" by the Bob Seger System is of a viscerally compelling and extremely angry song, that I had hoped would have been rediscovered by some local band during the Iraq-Afghanistan wars era. I have personally approached several bands but they politely listen to me and go on with their original music - so be it.

Maybe the problem is that there has never been a real war protest over our military experiences in the Middle East, so no interest in exploring covering 2+2=?

But what a song!

All you have to do - young musicians of Detroit - is to change the lyric:
    foreign jungle land to foreign desert land and you would have an updated version - Also, the bass guitar should dominate, actually take the lead, even more so than in the original.

If you have been to as many VA hospitals as I have and seen the miracles performed their, and realize that as a visitor you are quickly out numbered by wheelchairs and scooters you begin to understand the human cost that modern warfare inflicts.
    You are missing the point if you relate this draft protest song to the war in the middle east. Without a draft the song loses it's kick.
    Good tune though.

The closest thing that comes to what you're looking for is a cover of 2+2 by Scott Morgan with some updated lyrics. The Seger Liberation Army has a good cover of this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Who in previous wars would have been dead. Not to lessen their sacrifices, but modern medicine has allowed them to live a physically broken life rather than coming home in a box.

My father was a World War II infantry vet [[Guadalcanal, Munda, Aitape, Luzon) and he used to marvel about the use of medevac helicopters in Vietnam. He said their wounded had to be hand-carried by litter for hours before they got to a major medical center and many died on the way. As a Vietnam Vet, I marvel at how many of the soldiers of today can live through truly horrific wounds.

bartock Guest

2 + 2 = 5 is a fantastic song by Radiohead and allegedly a knock on President Dubya Bush. It is from the album "Hail to the Thief", which is a reference to his election win over Al Gore. I've never read of there being any connection to 2 + 2 = ??, but both are hard, great songs with political themes.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    2 + 2 = 5 is a fantastic song by Radiohead and allegedly a knock on President Dubya Bush. It is from the album "Hail to the Thief", which is a reference to his election win over Al Gore
    They backed away from claiming it was a political reference when it came out, then a few years later, after they built up credibility, they flip-flopped & said it was. Ultimately, who cares? The auto industry points & laughs @ the music industry The market's far too diminished for anybody to risk shipping units. downloads whatever...sure didn't help the MC5

On the path of great Detroit songs which have relevance today, I was listening to Mitch Ryder's "Corporate Song":

I'm a corporation so I have to have a voice/I am in fact the government so I should have first choice