Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Progress on Gilbert Buildings Downtown?

For anyone who lives/works Downtown, has there been much activity in the Gilbert-owned buildings? Haven't heard much lately on these properties. Pics would be great!

Madison Theatre Building -- completed and totally occupied. Very cool building.

Chase Tower -- essentially complete [[building out kitchen floor and redoing the lobby still), with 1,200 or so workers in the building

FNB - some minor changes noticeable in the lobby area [[signage, furniture, cleanup), removal of exterior awnings and a bit of painting done

Buildings along woodward -- has put in the "Fathead" virtual shopping window fixtures in a number of buildings and there is activity going on in the inside, along with the contractor signage up, so I expect significant work to follow shortly.

Dime Building -- minor changes to this point, expect major changes soon when Chrysler announces a small office lease

Federal Reserve - dont see any activity as of yet

From the building I work in I can see active work going on in both the First National building as well as the Chase building. The top floors of the Chase building look like a rainbow exploded in it.

I've been to the Dime building, but I can't really tell what's going on it. The lobby doesn't need renovation and is nice.

I was walking my dogs a few nights ago and was able to peek inside the building closest to the Broderick. My view was very limited, but there appears to be new interior walls being framed out and plenty of supplies, equipment, and tools inside.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    From the building I work in I can see active work going on in both the First National building as well as the Chase building. The top floors of the Chase building look like a rainbow exploded in it.

I've been to the Dime building, but I can't really tell what's going on it. The lobby doesn't need renovation and is nice.
    Over the last several months the Chase building has gone from sort of half-lit and dark at the top to FULLY lit, and, as you say, a rainbow explosion at the top. Not to mention the biggest improvement...there are people buzzing out and around it.

I'm not sure if its been discussed, but has anyone heard [[rumored/speculated), who might fill the empty spaces?

Is it a forgone conclusion that Quicken will be in Chase Tower or could Gilbert talk Chase in to moving the 1,500 jobs it has in Oakland County downtown to a consolidated regional presence.

What about the First Nation Building? I know he mentioned a desire to land some big fish to fill these spaces. However, the last big move reported on was Trinity Health to the old BCBS office space in the burbs.

I know Title Source LLC is moving into 100,000 sq. feet in the FNB but that is the only upcoming major move I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    I know Title Source LLC is moving into 100,000 sq. feet in the FNB but that is the only upcoming major move I am aware of.
    How many jobs are associated with this and where are they moving from?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    How many jobs are associated with this and where are they moving from?
    I think they're moving from Troy.

According to this Crain's article from August they will be moving from Troy into the FNB.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ons-management

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    According to this Crain's article from August they will be moving from Troy into the FNB.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ons-management

That's a good article. They keep talking about this supposed big tenant coming to a Gilbert building downtown. I don't think it can be Chrysler or Ford. Maybe Visteon or Johnson Controls?

Quote from Crain's Article : "If they're able to find new investment, new energy, to bring to Detroit and their properties, it will no doubt help Oakland County and the entire state."

I've been saying this for ten years to people who thought I was crazy when I suggested companies should consider Detroit over suburbs..period. It just make sense.."Support the mother [[Detroit), and her children [[Detroit Suburbs) will grow with here. Will you leave your mother behind if your successful and she's homeless?..Umm I hope not, but this region acts as such. Ashame..

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...it-development

Looks like Gilbert wants to put some coordinated retail in place by the end of the year rather than lease on a "one off" basis which has resulted in failures the past few years. Makes sense.

Am I glad Gilbert isnt running for office. He is doing a lot better for the city than any politician could.

"LOVE" this section of the Crains article: its a beautiful thing, keep it coming!

"By the end of 2012, Quicken and its related companies will have moved 5,400 employees to Detroit.
    The move has brought energy to the employees in a way that can't be replicated in the suburbs, said Dan Mullen, acquisition manager with Bedrock Real Estate Management, the real estate entity which manages Gilbert's holdings, oversees the marketing of the vacant space and analyses new purchases."Downtown, you look out the window and see these beautiful skyscrapers," Mullen said. "It's a lot different than looking at the Costco near I-275."Gilbert, jokingly, chimed in: "Hey, don't knock the view of Costco, it's beautiful in April."In addition to office and commercial space, Gilbert has been eying residential development in the city. He has the development rights to the vacant land north of the Compuware Building where the former J.L. Hudson building once stood."

from what i heard he wants to change down town into a very lit up area much like times square in New York. i am not sure if i like this idea, i'v always been a sucker for good clean stone architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    from what i heard he wants to change down town into a very lit up area much like times square in New York. i am not sure if i like this idea, i'v always been a sucker for good clean stone architecture.
    Maybe I'm getting old but I still equate too many lit up billboards as tacky also but Detroit can use as much lighting as possible downtown. Not that they should cover the Guardian, etc. with LED but more bright lights toward street level would only help give the impression of vibrancy so badly needed along Woodward.

Lighting like that tacky martini glass on the Stott Building? Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    http://www.skybardetroit.com/

I see that lit-up every morning when I come to work. Never get to explore what its all about. I guess someone has opened a booze hall atop the old building?

Thank's G!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-08-12 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Looks like Gistok beat me to the punch!

Yeah, it's called Skybar Lounge[[original, right?) It's on the FIRST floor haha but apparently they were supposed to add something up high, I want to say the 37th floor. I don't know if that is supposed to be VIP or what. I don't even know if that portion is finished.

He said the light rail plan, which has 29 days left in a 90-day approval period, has the backing it needs and that "the details are being tended to.""That line will be in the ground by the end of this calendar year," he said.
    Wow, that made me laugh. Hope he is serious, I really do.

Maybe they'll get 5-hour energy to move from farmington hills?

Yeah, it's called Skybar Lounge[[original, right?) It's on the FIRST floor haha but apparently they were supposed to add something up high, I want to say the 37th floor. I don't know if that is supposed to be VIP or what. I don't even know if that portion is finished.
    They're currently renovating the 37th. When its open it will be sweet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast