Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Birds Singing Downtown?

Does anybody else hear birds singing downtown? I work here and JUST noticed them on Saturday. Does anybody know if it is a real bird or a recording...or have I finally "lost it".

Only birds I've seen or heard are seagulls, sparrows, and pidgeons.

Downtown Detroit is a little warmer than the rest of the metro. Might be more bird action due to the microclimate.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spice12725 View Post
    Does anybody else hear birds singing downtown? I work here and JUST noticed them on Saturday. Does anybody know if it is a real bird or a recording...or have I finally "lost it".
    Were you at/near the DAC and was it Saturday night? Because I was walking by with my kid [[going to M Jam) and thought the birds were being piped through speakers. Looked up, and there were what looked like hundreds all over the building. Not sure what kind.

Default Birds downtown

The police headquarters has a recording on the building to scare away the pigeons. It's pretty loud near the entrance to the building.

In the past week, red-winged blackbirds, sometimes in flocks, have been returning to the Detroit area. Also robins and many other species.

Detroit isn't a bad bird-watching town. Flocks are avoiding Lake Erie, unless they're making the Pelee run. So we do get more bird traffic than many places during the seasonal change. Kinda early, though...

I've been hearing them in the morning when I'm leaving for work around 6:30. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it downtown Detroit or Mt. Clemens that has the Falcons making nests on some large buildings? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've been hearing them in the morning when I'm leaving for work around 6:30. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it downtown Detroit or Mt. Clemens that has the Falcons making nests on some large buildings? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
    http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4497

Bird wise, spring is definitely in the air, right on cue.

Hummingbirds are heading this way as well. Check out:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/s...ate030712.html

Today I saw herons checking out nest sites at Kensington Metropark, heard [[but did not see) killdeer, and saw grackles and turkey vultures as well.