Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Detroit Free Press felt this story was worthy of the front page today.

They have to pander to the nimrod market as well...

That story was very well-written and just the sort of thing that the Wall Street Journal often has as a little treat on it's front page. I see nothing wrong at all with it being on the front page of the Free Press. Today, as a matter of fact, the WSJ has a front-page story about the Detroit union of pot-hole fillers that has a single member for its human-interest story.

I was more concerned about an article in the New York Times Style section the other day that profiled how students in the Center for Creative Studies have to do projects that benefit the poor of Detroit [[its. One student profiled said in the NYT that there are 20,0000 homeless people living on the streets here and that she has designed for them a coat made of space-age materials that can be unzipped into a sleeping bag.

Anyway, I'd rather have the humorous and human-interest story about the woman being terrorized by a territorial turkey than the pitiful story about how artists are being trained to accomodate Detroit 20,000 homeless people now living on the streets of our city. Who would ever want to come here when they absorb something like that?

That woman should just whack it with a shovel.... end of story....

Hilarious! He is on a mission, avenging for all his brethren lost thank givings past....
    Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Slow news day of a respite from all of the murder, mayhem and corruption over the last 60 days? We get Pheasants in our area but none this bold.

He best not wonder into the wrong area or he'll get a whack over the head with a cast iron skillet, plucked and into an oven!

We had relatives who raised turkeys for awhile and once in awhile one of these domestic birds would get it into its head to chase somebody. The chasee has to act like they are the boss, so don't duck or run [[not easy with 20 pounds of crazed snapping flapping bird coming at you). The suggestion in the newspaper would work really well, go after it from behind a big open umbrella. Open and shut it a few times while pointing it at the bird and chase him back where he belongs.

Ravine Guest

Right. I am in favor of the media sticking with highlighting only the most grim reports, so we can get right back to bitching about how they never report anything but wretched, terrible news.

We also need a new locally-owned store to open so we can whine about larger chain stores neglecting the thriving market that is Detroit.
    And then vice-versa.

We've got time, nothing but time, although maybe not so much of it.

I'm starting to think Detroit needs an Emergency Emotional Manager.
    Certainly, this forum needs one.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not qualified.
    Last edited by Ravine; March-06-12 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Had to dumb it down a bit. Don't want anyone to feel left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Right. I am in favor of the media sticking with highlighting only the most grim reports, so we can get right back to bitching about how they never report anything but wretched, terrible news.

We also need a new locally-owned store to open so we can whine about larger chain stores neglecting the thriving market that is Detroit.
    And then vice-versa.

We've got time, nothing but time, although maybe not so much of it.

I'm starting to think Detroit needs an Emergency Emotional Manager.
    Certainly, this forum needs one.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not qualified.
    I don't know what that glob of text you just shit out has to do with a major metropolitan media organization putting a wild turkey nuisance on the front page.

Yet you felt the need to create a thread about the turkey.

I thought it was a fun and amusing story. Why not put it on the front page? Doesn't hurt anything, and the Freep is in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Kudos to the Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Yet you felt the need to create a thread about the turkey.
    The day I make bread based on what I post on a messageboard that will actually be a point.

My former neighbor who founded the Turkey Roost in Kawkawlin would've taken great interest in this story.

The day I make bread based on what I post on a messageboard that will actually be a point.
    The day you make a cogent point on a messageboard will be a Red Letter day for the rest of us.

In the comment section someone who says that he's her neighbor implies that she was feeding the turkey. She shouldn't call it Godzilla, she should call it moochie. It shows up a 7:00 in the morning because it probably wants breakfast.

Is there an ignore feature on this board?

I made a mistake and responded to stupid comments.

Now I just don't want to see them anymore.

Ravine Guest

Oh, I get it. Your critical comment on the Freep's editorial decision is inherently more valid than are our critical comments on your post.

You were making a good point, it seems, while us? We're just stupid.

While we're here-- and, despite your protestation to the contrary, I'll just bet that you're still here-- the Ignore business is pretty simple. Just skip over the person's posts.
    Believe me, I do it all of the time.

Is there an ignore feature on this board?
    Why yes, yes there is! It works so well that I have no idea to what you're referring.

Back on topic, I reviewed the hardcopy of that edition and agree that there were more important stories buried beneath the turkey article. Maybe it was the catchy photo of the turkey that pushed it above the fold.

Still, it's a great story. There's an amusing video in the online version.

Personally I'd grab it by the neck and trap it in an empty dumpster for a while then release—just to fuck with its head.

Hey! No harm, no fowl!

Oh, I get it. Your critical comment on the Freep's editorial decision is inherently more valid than are our critical comments on your post.

You were making a good point, it seems, while us? We're just stupid.

While we're here-- and, despite your protestation to the contrary, I'll just bet that you're still here-- the Ignore business is pretty simple. Just skip over the person's posts.
    Believe me, I do it all of the time.
    I'm here. Still can't find that block button.

And the load I just left in the toilet contains more information and value than the passive aggressive overly confrontational vomit you see fit to put out for consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Why yes, yes there is! It works so well that I have no idea to what you're referring.

Back on topic, I reviewed the hardcopy of that edition and agree that there were more important stories buried beneath the turkey article. Maybe it was the catchy photo of the turkey that pushed it above the fold.
    Exactly. It's a cute story. I laughed when I read it online.

When I saw it was the biggest story in the print version is what I was in disbelief over.
    Last edited by brizee; March-06-12 at 11:11 PM.

Ravine Guest

The "biggest story in the print version," was it, now?
    I do not believe you, oh back-pedaling coprophiliac one.

The "biggest story in the print version," was it, now?
    I do not believe you, oh back-pedaling coprophiliac one.

Shit's getting deep!

Wow, there are certainly some people that are legends in their own mind around here. No posting about turkeys, turkeys!

Reminds me of this guy and his disdain for better business cards [[in this case Detroiyes threads): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y