Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where has the East Warren business association gone?

What has happened to the East Warren business association

I came across a pretty recent looking document from their organisation which looks like they spent some money designing and editing it.

i.b5z.net/i/u/1086559/i/Map_brochure_Final_3_web.pdf

Have they disappeared into thin air? Gone bankrupt? Funny politics?

They have a website listed on the PDF which just comes back as a dead link.

www.eastwarren.org

I would be curious to know what happened if anyone was connected with it or knows something.

Through a Google search, I found reference to "CEMBA, formerly the East Warren Business Association". Further searching shows that CEM stands for Cornerstone, East English Village and Morningside.

Here's a link to their blog site: http://cembusiness.wordpress.com/

Looks a few months of out of date, but the CEM brochure lists a phone number and the businesses involved.

Maybe some of the member businesses can give you an update as to what is going on along East Warren.

That's correct, it is CEM now. Still exists and functioning on some level, but outside of that I don't know much, despite being able to throw a rock from my house and hit East Warren Ave.

Thanks

It seems a little odd that an organisation which could afford to have promotional materials made professionally with fancy graphics and the support of ReStore Detroit, U Snap back and Next Detroit would have to resort to a basic sunstandard website, promotional materials and name.

It's there. The name is change to CEMBA. MOM and POP businesses along E. Warren Ave from Alter Rd to Mack is strong even the hood is turn into an instant black ghetto. Any businesses on E. Warren that is south of Alter Rd. is almost gone.

Forr those that don't know... Cornerstone Village is the neighborhood that used to be known as "O.N.E." [[Organized Neighbors East). Its' perimeter is Cadieux on the west, Mack Ave. on the south, I-94 on the north, and Kingsville [[2 streets East of Moross) on the East. It is as far east in Detroit as you can go, hence the name.

It includes such places as the Cadieux Cafe, St. John Hospital & Medical Center [[95% of it at least), and Balduck Park.

Most of it is in the 48224 Zip Code... except those portions east of Canyon St. [[eastern perimeter of Balduck Park)... where because the Zip Code is 48226... those areas have a "Grosse Pointe" mailing address... even though they are in Detroit. This last fact was brought to light in a DYES thread a few years ago when some folks swore that they attended Detroit schools with some Grosse Pointers.... not true... they were those living in Detroit with a Grosse Pointe mailing address.

So it probably wouldn't be the best location for a new business I then?

Having lived in EEV for many years I can think of numerous businesses that did their start up here then of course moved along to the burbs.

East Warren Business association kind of got folded into Warren Conner business association which morphed into something different altogether. Not insulting them, great folk.

Live elsewhere in the city now but still go back to Yorkshire Market, Tim the barber a few doors down, Hammertime on Warren and several of the restaurants. Not a bad place to do business at all. Local residents are loyal to responsible business owners.

Good luck

When I lived in Morningside I frequented a large number of businesses on East Warren: Universal Market, the Middle Eastern market on Warren/Audobon, Mediterranean, Zeno's Pizza, Hammer Time, dry cleaners, Cal's, the office supply place, party stores, Barbie's, The Onyx, the Chinese restaurant, etc. I'm glad to hear the EWBA is still functioning. I was just in the neighborhood last week to go to Cadieux Cafe again. I was impressed that so many businesses on Harper are still open, it's not a deserted stretch like I was worried it might be.