Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ron Paul Wins Detroit

Would never have thought it could happen....

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/gr...4185902229.JPG

BrushStart and oladub must've had a lot of fake IDs printed up.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.It was too close between him and Santorum.Then again, Inkster [[along with Detroit, are predominately black communities) was the only other community where Ron Paul won too.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-01-12 at 03:50 PM.

That was my first thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.It was too close between him and Santorum.Then again, Inkster [[along with Detroit, are predominately black communities) was the only other community where Ron Paul won too.
    This shouldn't really be surprising.

While Detroit is overwealmingly democratic [[like any major city) there is certainly a conservative streak here. However as one poster pointed out in a different thread - and I believe they implied they are African American - Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum have stringently avoided virtually any contact with any minority communities or organizations. I'm sure this delights their base, and it is dispicable. They certainly have a very narrow definition of what a "real" American is, it seems. While it seems to almost "make sense" with Romney - I don't know where he could even try to appeal to any minority community since he has trouble appealing to anyone but his fellow lifelong millionares - Santorum's distance is telling. His in-your-face-in-your-bedroom conservativism could resonate to at least some of the very strongly religious of the black and Latino community. People here obviously get the message loud and clear, even those who do vote Republican.

I think it says a lot. Two guys running to be President of the United States really don't have any interest in people who don't look like them, but seem to desperately care who you're fucking. No way to run a country, in my book.

BrushStart and Oladub have both effectively portrayed the standard Ron Paul talking points. Most thoughtful Ron Paul supporters adhere to the template religiously. And the convinced don't suffer detractors well.

Paul's GOP primary success in Detroit and Inkster is expected due to the animosity toward Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Thanks for the link. Paul also won Highland Park and did ok in Ecorse, Royal Oak Twp., and Southfield. Except for being younger and poorer, Ron Paul's voter demographics are usually closer to Romney's than the more neocon Gingrich and socially conservative Santorum. In the Detroit area, however, Paul did best where Romney did worst as in the Grosse Pointes vs. Detroit.

Uh, it was a Republican primary, who did you expect to win? Btw, Ron Paul was by far the most socially liberal candidate on the ballot.

^I second that.

Just because he espouses extreme fiscal conservatism, doesn't make him a flaming Republican. Actually, I read that the only reason he ran as a Republican is because that's the only way the guy can get his fair share of time in the debates. If he runs as an independant, which better describes him at this juncture, he's completely frozen out by both parties. This happened to Nader when he ran under the Green Party.

Truth be told, he scares the hell out of the corporate establishment, which is why the news networks avoid the guy and blatently skip over his name, even when polls show him in first or second place in any particular part of the country. Also, many of the networks stopped breaking down the conservative candidate support polls by age and race demographic because they would consistantly put Paul in the lead with young and minority independent voters. He also raised [[overwhelmingly so) the hightest amount of campaign contributions by the military rank-and-file. Plus, some that consider themselves "Goldwater Republicans" support him because he is still a big supporter of business without the pandering to the religious right, and because he has the most consistant voting record of any sitting Congress person.

I need to post some links, but I'm on someone's effing piece of crap compact notebook...

Don't be naive. Voting detroiters are predominently democrat or independant. The turn out was low but those who voted are determined that the primary get sabotaged. The ultra conservatives are no friend to Detroit.

I'm pretty sure the turnout in Detroit and other African-American areas for a Republican primary was insignificant. However, it is no surprise at all that Ron Paul won with the voters who did show up. One big thing in his favor is that he, alone amongst presidential candidates of any party, opposes the wasteful and idiotic war on drugs that disproportionately results in the lengthy imprisonment of Africa-Americans for much the same crimes that generally get white offenders shorter sentences.

The fact that he deigned to campaign to black voters was also probably a bit helpful. As poobert points out, most Republican candidates simply treat them as invisible, and are seemingly in fear of campaigning amongst them at all, lest their white ultra-conservative supporters get unsettled.

Strange thing is though, even though he's not one of them, the white supremacist crowd also seems to overwhelmingly support Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Strange thing is though, even though he's not one of them, the white supremacist crowd also seems to overwhelmingly support Ron Paul.
    Yeah, THAT'S scary. It's probably because those types equate "state's rights" with anti-civil rights, somthing i see people like that supporting for themselves [[the rights I mean), but not for others.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Don't be naive. Voting detroiters are predominently democrat or independant. The turn out was low but those who voted are determined that the primary get sabotaged. The ultra conservatives are no friend to Detroit.
    Yes, as I said, Detroit is predominantly Democratic. 1.5% of the population voted in this primary, which is probably proportional to the amount of Republicans in Detroit. McCain took 2.65% of the ballots cast [[lol) in 2008, after all, so unless you have some compelling evidence of widespread sabotage, the Republican Primary is a good indication of how the few Republicans in Detroit do feel. You wouldn't find this Detroiter anywhere near a polling place this past Tuesday...pewww!

Originally Posted by EastsideAl
    Even the Minister Farrakhan had a kind word for Ron Paul [[@2min50sec). Ron Paul has both the highest percentage of atheist support and does very well among Christian home schoolers. An Arab American newspaper endorsed Ron Paul while he was in Dearborn a few days ago. As Ron Paul says, "Freedom brings us together". Then he shows up in central Detroit without any secret service or apparent protection. A few people might have voted for him just showing up.

One of the reasons Ron Paul will not participate in a Huckabee moderated debate.

You guys do know that a week before the election churches in the city were urging their congregants to vote for Ron Paul to mess up the outcome, right? Good. Now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Ron Paul has both the highest percentage of atheist support
    Amongst the Republican candidates only? Can you back this up with something other than a YouTube video?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    You guys do know that a week before the election churches in the city were urging their congregants to vote for Ron Paul to mess up the outcome, right? Good. Now you know.
    If they really wanted to "mess up the outcome" then they should have instructed people to vote for Santorum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Assuming you're serious, do you have any source for this? I go to a church in the city - granted, a Catholic one, and nobody has been urging anything along those lines. I also live in the city and am friends with people of other faiths and I haven't heard anything about that.
    I'm not saying it's impossible or even unlikely, but you can't just go around saying shit.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Amongst the Republican candidates only? Can you back this up with something other than a YouTube video?

Thank you.
    Among those who voted for a Republican in the primaries:

The best measured things I can come up with offhand, are CNN exit polls which ask about religion. Using the proxy “none” to include atheists, in New Hampshire, among the 13% who were in the category “Vote by religion:NONE” Ron Paul had 47%, Romney 23%, Huntsman 21%, Gingrich 6% and Santorum 2% of the total.
    http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/epolls/nh

To do it another way in Michigan, comparing “The religious views of candidates should matter A)not at all or somewhat divided by B)a great deal or not much”, Ron Paul’s non supporters’ ratio over religious supporters was 3 [[as in 3 to 1), Romney’s, 1.46, Gingrich’s .85, and Santorum’s .5. http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/epolls/mi

Those exit polls also measure all sorts of things including support of abortion, tea party support, age, etc.. Some of Paul's numbers such as education and income are age related.

Ron Paul was also projected to get 59% of the Iowa “secular” vote on the Republican side of the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Among those who voted for a Republican in the primaries:

The best measured things I can come up with offhand, are CNN exit polls which ask about religion. Using the proxy “none” to include atheists, in New Hampshire, among the 13% who were in the category “Vote by religion:NONE” Ron Paul had 47%, Romney 23%, Huntsman 21%, Gingrich 6% and Santorum 2% of the total.
    http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/epolls/nh

To do it another way in Michigan, comparing “The religious views of candidates should matter A)not at all or somewhat divided by B)a great deal or not much”, Ron Paul’s non supporters’ ratio over religious supporters was 3 [[as in 3 to 1), Romney’s, 1.46, Gingrich’s .85, and Santorum’s .5. http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/epolls/mi

Those exit polls also measure all sorts of things including support of abortion, tea party support, age, etc.. Some of Paul's numbers such as education and income are age related.

Ron Paul was also projected to get 59% of the Iowa “secular” vote on the Republican side of the ballot.
    I can believe it on the Republican side of the ballot. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but politics and peoples' beliefs therein rarely do.

For weeks Mildred Gaddis was practically begging her listeners to vote for Ron Paul. I think these results are definitely "suspect".