Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Tim Horton's is coming to Detroit!

A Tim Horton's will be moving into the old Starbucks building across from Belle Isle on Jefferson. My wife and I spotted the 'coming soon' sign last night. I maintain a big reason that Starbucks failed in that location is that the coffee is so expensive and they have little to offer in food choices. Those should not be issues at Tim Horton's. The area has limited foot traffic, but the building has a drive-through built in, so I can see many people stopping by on their way downtown for work or before they go to chill at Belle Isle. My only question now is if the new T-Ho's will be open 24 hours or not.
    Last edited by eastsidechris; June-13-09 at 05:52 AM.

Actually, this will be the second Tim Hortons. We've had a Tim Hortons in the Millender Center for about a year now.

Now that the franchiser[[s) has shown the company they can operate profitable locations in an untapped market like Detrot, TH may just go through a reasonable expansion when/if the economy picks up.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-13-09 at 06:02 AM.

The first Detroit Tim Horton's also happened to be their 500th U.S. store.
    Attachment 1703
    Attachment 1704

Just a bit of trivia. The Tim Horton's in the Millender Center is owned by Derrick Coleman. He opened it at the urging of Dave Bing who has been his mentor of sorts for over 20 years. I wonder if he's going to own the one across from Belle Isle?

Lorax Guest

I know everyone will skewer me for this, but it's a sad day when opening a Tim Horton's makes headlines.

Their food is so plain and uninteresting, how they've made it so far is amazing to me.

I am happy for the jobs it will create, and that's about it.

For pete's sake, nobody's saying it's high end dining. But it's a great coffee chain that offers affordable -- and pretty good -- food. That's a better fit for not only Detroit but most of our 'burbs. Plus there's the "Hockey Night in Canada" angle, that makes it a natural here.

BTW, I also heard a rumor Tim Hortons is going to open inside the Rosa Parks Transit Center & at the old Starbucks location in the Buhl Building [[I'm not sure how true this is).
    Last edited by 313WX; June-13-09 at 07:02 PM.

TH is my favorite quickie coffee spot.
    I'm not a big fan of their sandwiches, but just about everything else I've had there is pretty good. The soups are very good.

How is Biggby Coffee doing downtown? Someone told me that a suburban east side location closed. There's one by my house that doesn't appear to be doing very well.

Lorax Guest

I have to say, I patronize the Biggby Coffee on Evergreen between 10 & 11 frequently, and they have the nicest people working there. It's busier during the week when city hall and the offices around there are open, but even on weekends they are so upbeat and I really like the coffee selection.

Tim Horton's is still bland and overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Someone told me that a suburban east side location closed.
    There's one in Roseville [[11 mile & Gratiot) that has supposedly been "temporarily closed for re-modeling". However, the signage and everything is still up, so I can't say the location is closed. Plus it's listed on Biggby's website as "coming soon". So the franchise owner is probably just having financial problems right now.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-13-09 at 08:12 PM.

TH's is a decent little stop for coffee, donuts, or some soup or something light. And is sure priced quite a bit better than the truly overrated Starbuck's [[and TH's donuts are better than 'Buck's excerable pastries). Yeah, it's a chain, and gourmet it definitely ain't, but it's better than any number of other chains that could have gone in that spot. And it's unquestionably good to have a closed Detroit business reopen for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I know everyone will skewer me for this, but it's a sad day when opening a Tim Horton's makes headlines.

Their food is so plain and uninteresting, how they've made it so far is amazing to me.

I am happy for the jobs it will create, and that's about it.
    I agree , coffee and donuts are good. The rest of the food is mediocre. Chili is pretty decent though.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    TH is my favorite quickie coffee spot.
    I'm not a big fan of their sandwiches, but just about everything else I've had there is pretty good. The soups are very good.

How is Biggby Coffee doing downtown? Someone told me that a suburban east side location closed. There's one by my house that doesn't appear to be doing very well.
    There was location that opened on Woodward just south of 13 that was in a former Wendys, stayed open for about 2 years then closed.

Mediocre donuts and bland coffee. I can get essentially the same stuff at Dunkin' Donuts or even a Speedway station. What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Mediocre donuts and bland coffee. I can get essentially the same stuff at Dunkin' Donuts or even a Speedway station. What's the big deal?
    There's only one Speedway Station and Dunkin Donuts in Detroit, while there could potentially be four [[or more) Tim Hortons in the city.

In other words, it's the fact a national/international chain actually considers Detroit a good investment.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-14-09 at 08:33 AM.

It's good coffee, good prices and an empty drive-through building at the foot of the bridge to Belle Isle will be full again, that's all.

I really don't go to this place.. what does Tim Horton's serve, besides coffee?

they have really good breakfast sandwiches, donuts, muffins, etc.

for lunch, they have turkey sandwiches, BLTs, soups, chili, etc.

I'm waiting for a Red Robin or a Friday's or an Applebee's in downtown Detroit. Now, that's REAL food... yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    I'm waiting for a Red Robin or a Friday's or an Applebee's in downtown Detroit. Now, that's REAL food... yeah...
    We must take baby steps [[especially in this economy).

With all the back tracking that's been happening [[in terms of economic investment as of late), I'll celebrate when McDonalds finally opens its first downtown location or Wal-Mart opens in the city.

It's a coffee shop for pete's sake...and yes, the coffee is good.

2blocksaway Guest

Wait, wait, wait i thought chain stores were horrible for Detroit.

You are all the same people who hated the Staples on Jefferson and the Home Depot on 7 Mile.

Make up your minds.

I for one welcome any business in the city.

I just hope D.C. washes his hands before serving.
    Last edited by 2blocksaway; June-14-09 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    Wait, wait, wait i thought chain stores were horrible fore Detroit.

You are all the same people who hated the Staples on Jefferson and the Home Depot on 7 Mile.

Make up your minds.
    Actually, I'm in favor of more chain stores. A diverse mix of chain/independent shops shows that city has a heathy retail environment.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-14-09 at 06:24 PM.

Lorax Guest

I think Tim Horton Heard a Who.

MIRepublic Guest

I love Tim's as far as chains go, but that's because I can stand the overly sweet donuts of the other chains. Krispy Kremes give me the heaves. What some people call bland I consider that they are what people should be eating, anyway. Oh, the the Tim's I go to have service that is second-to-none. They've always been super-friendly [[but not fake) and they actually seem to enjoy what they are doing. Some people don't care about service one way or the other, but it's a huge sticking point, for me. If you're going to act annoyed or pissed or dazed when I'm patronizing your business, don't expect me back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast