Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Feds swarming the east side.

I can live with it.

It's not the ridiculous "bring back STRESS and have the national guard roll tanks down the streets" some say they want, but additional muscles ears and eyes can't hurt.

Thousands of residents need to gather together and storm block by block and take down these people and take back neighborhoods leaving no stone un turned.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I can live with it.

It's not the ridiculous "bring back STRESS and have the national guard roll tanks down the streets" some say they want, but additional muscles ears and eyes can't hurt.
    Agreed. I can live with it and am cautiously optimistic. But if it doesn't do the job, then, it may be necessary to escalate. We'll cross that bridge til it comes.

It is sad that the city has been unable to combat crime more effectively on its own, but given the city's poor success, I think they need all the help they can get.

Yeah the west side has it's share of problems indeed but the body dumping, and what all has had its concentration in certain parts of the east side especially that 48084 area [[I think that was the zipcode).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah the west side has it's share of problems indeed but the body dumping, and what all has had its concentration in certain parts of the east side especially that 48084 area [[I think that was the zipcode).
    All city zips are 482__, fwiw.

Six months ago, the federal government targeted gun crimes in the 48205 ZIP code, which is northeast of Coleman A. Young International Airport and considered one of the deadliest in Detroit. The idea is to prosecute gun crimes in federal court, where sentences are stiffer than in state court.

The northwest side's definitely got it's share of thugs but not as much empty space. The sad fact is that given enough time, they'll eventually catch up.

Thanks, 48205 is the zip code.... most dangerous as reported last year....

Yeah the 'dead zones' of the east side are part of the problem. Bodies found in alleyways, fields, burnt out house. Large expanses of desolate areas pitch black with not street lights for blocks is a great haven for crime, with only one police pricinct covering such a large area - yeah that's a recipe for crime concentrations.

But the bodies found in houses is all over the city.

Yep, that's a point....
    Quote Originally Posted by bopcity View Post

The northwest side's definitely got it's share of thugs but not as much empty space. The sad fact is that given enough time, they'll eventually catch up.

Good news. I live on the eastside in a still-intact stable neighborhood. We need all the help we can get.
    Oh, and once again, all those who rail against "big government" can kindly get fucked. Welcome to the feds, thanks for remembering there are good citizens here.

Buy American Guest

Lived in the 48205 zip for over 30 years and it was a wonderful place to be. Left around 1992 and by then it was swarming with bottom feeders. Our house was broken into once, my kids were intimidated by thugs [[women thugs included), the neighborhood took a nosedive rapidly. We've gone back to check out the old house now and then and our house is the only one left without damage or gone. Once, we drove over there and thugs were playing basketball right in the middle of the intersection with a hoop and wouldn't budge for a car. We had to back up and go another way and never got to drive down our street. We could see then that these idiots had already taken over their territory and weren't about to give it up for anyone.

This is definitely good news, but there is so much work to be done it's ridiculous. As I've stated before, the ONLY issue that Detroit needs to address right now is public safety; absent that, education, taxes, public transportation....nothing else matters because the city will keep spiraling downward. But the problem is that you need to attack both actual crime, and also the perception of crime. Until people feel safe, they will not repopulate the city like it needs just to stabilize [[never mind actually prospering). Godspeed to all the law enforcement officers who are working day and night to make Detroit a safer place. But I'd really like to see the mayor come out strongly, like the Philly Mayor, and make sure the hoods and thugs know that their days are limited. Of course, it also depends on state [[Dept of Corrections) and county [[prosecutor, sheriff) cooperation to make it work. Seriously, I think this is the worst I've seen it in the neighborhoods....and it must stop if Detroit has any hope.

And just to add, I wonder what the response would be if someone put up billboards in the worst of neighborhoods that said "Thank you, young black men, for doing our job better than we could. Yours truly, The KKK."

One significant thing that's happening here is the promise to pick people up on Federal crimes. This effectively moves the prosecution from the Wayne County Circuit Courts to Federal Court. That alone will make a difference in successful prosecution.

Default zip code 48205 - it's obvious to me

Growing up in this neighborhood[[although we moved away in late 70s) it obvious to me.

Area around 7/Kelly used to be called Copper Canyon. All the police and firemen lived there. Sent thier kids to catholic school.

Mid-90's, State of Mich, passed law outlawing residence req's for city employees. Engler signed it but it was mostly cop and firemen unions who pushed for it.

Once passed, 7/Kelly cleared out within 5-10 yrs.

The rest of 48205 was not affected as much by this, but that decline[[especially near city airport) had already reached tipping point.

my 2 c

Occurrence Guest

This move might have a temporary impact, but after everything blows over, things will go back to the way they were.

I lived in 48205 til the mid-80s and it was already starting to go downhill by then. I don't think the cops or firefighters would've pushed so hard to eliminate residency requirements had Copper Canyon not been turned upside by violence and crime.

I'm glad to hear the Feds are cracking down. My question is this...I would've ordered them to go cover the eastside back in 1985. Why the hell did it take so long?

Yeah, I'd considered renting out a duplex unit in that area back in 89 but being a dyed-in-the-wool west-sider I decided not too. Glad I did, the flat is now gone and the street desolate that I was going to move to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Lived in the 48205 zip for over 30 years and it was a wonderful place to be. Left around 1992 and by then it was swarming with bottom feeders. Our house was broken into once, my kids were intimidated by thugs [[women thugs included), the neighborhood took a nosedive rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I lived in 48205 til the mid-80s and it was already starting to go downhill by then... My question is this...I would've ordered them to go cover the eastside back in 1985. Why the hell did it take so long?
    Does the term
    clear-cutting ring a bell? A cynic might argue that the ensuing 27 years of carnage which has depopulated the east side will prove highly profitable to someone, other than the residents, once the area begins to be rebuilt.

"Cause it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny..."

A cynic might argue that the ensuing 27 years of carnage which has depopulated the east side will prove highly profitable to someone, other than the residents, once the area begins to be rebuilt.

Wow - that's impressive planning! Sitting quietly around for 40-some years waiting for enough de-population to occur and buildings to fall down so a person can sweep in and get the land cheap and empty for some development. Why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by bopcity View Post

Does the term
    clear-cutting ring a bell? A cynic might argue that the ensuing 27 years of carnage which has depopulated the east side will prove highly profitable to someone, other than the residents, once the area begins to be rebuilt.

"Cause it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny..."

Well, call me naive, but since my profession is in dealing with the wealthy, I can say with confidence that there is no "shadowy-figure" exploiting the east-side to make a buck. While, yes, you are right that whoever re-builds it will likely be paid well to do so, no one is going to lose capital for 30 consecutive years for a big pot of gold that might be there at the end. Hell, 30 years is so long that you could clear cut a forest and it could've completely grown back by that point.

The idea that someone out there has an ulterior motive is upsetting to me in that it just distracts from the actual problem we have while looking for some "unprovable other" to blame. There is no one to blame but ourselves.

And I guarantee that when the time emerges to one day re-build 48205, the person who makes a lot of money doing so will have done so at enormous risk.

A good start, but there needs to be even more.

FTA: "
    Under the federal government's intervention plan, federal, state and local agents will comb the east side and focus on gun crimes."
    In my eyes, the key word there is "crimes", as in, incidents that have already occurred.

Sure locking up one more fool is good, but not at the expense of another innocent civilian. They need to be cracking down and rounding up thugs before they start shooting even if the reason was "we didn't like the looks of you."

And as far as more prison time goes, the degenerates out there shooting up the city aren't afraid of prison. 3 years, 7 years, whatever. "We're going to lock you up" isn't a deterrent. It's like sending a kid to their room as punishment where they can sit and watch TV or play Xbox. It's not a threat at all.

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere here...
    Skip standard prison. You want to put gun criminals away, then it's time to create some forced labor camps. Get them out there making use of all those empty areas of land around the city. I'm talking ass-busting back-breaking farming work, 6 days a week. Do some good for the city for a change rather than run with gangs, sell drugs, shoot people and eventually end up in prison sucking down taxpayer money.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd also like a Ferrari.

Never mentioned the idea of any "shadowy-figure exploiting the east-side to make a buck" or that "one is going to lose capital for 30 consecutive years for a big pot of gold that might be there at the end."

Nor did I suggest anyone in particular is "sitting quietly around for 40-some years waiting for enough de-population to occur and buildings to fall down so a person can sweep in and get the land cheap and empty for some development."

Nice try, though.

Someone once said "If you want to attack the fish, empty the sea in which they swim." Was it the same person who coined the phrase "demolished by neglect"? Probably not but you never know.

bartock Guest

I'll go Occam's razor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast