Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Detroit Public Library Main Branch

I wrote an article about the main branch with photos. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.motorgay.net/2012/02/detr...in-branch.html

http://detroit1701.org/DetroitPublicLibrary.htm

The Detroit Public Library is one of the most attractive buildings in the city and clearly
    displays the talents of one of the nation's most accomplished architects, Cass Gilbert.

I've always loved the Main Public Library. The great reading rooms on the first and 2nd floors of Gilbert's 1921 wing are very nicely done up in woodwork with flat coffered ceilings.

However the greatest space in the DPL is the grand "double imperial" staircase, of which I cannot find a nice image of online anywhere. Gilbert lavished a great deal of attention [[and expense) to this enormous space and the gallery at the top of the stairs opposite Adam Strom Hall... the other 2 great spaces in the library. It's rather ironic that the greatest spaces in the DPL do not house books.

I've done a study of great staircases [[having been to some of the best). It is hard to believe that the DPL grand staircase is probably one of the dozen greatest in the world.... with competition from such stairs as the Paris Garnier Opera House, the staircase at the Würzburg Residenz [[palace of the Prince-Bishops), and the great staircase at the Royal Palace at Caserta [[outside Naples). Not even the Palace of Versailles has a staircase as grand as that at the DPL.

Most of the ones I've mentioned have "imperial staircases"... but a double imperial is truly rare. In any case... this is the grandest staircase in Detroit.

Here's an amateur's image I found... we need our resident photographer SOUTHEN to do a nice fish eye image of the DLPs stairs....

The DPL grand stairs is nicer than that of America's state capitols, and at least as nice as that of the US Capitol and LIbrary of Congress.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; February-29-12 at 10:04 PM.

Sorry , just a point and shoot....

dpl 036 by DetroitDvotion, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've always loved the Main Public Library. The great reading rooms on the first and 2nd floors of Gilbert's 1921 wing are very nicely done up in woodwork with flat coffered ceilings.

However the greatest space in the DPL is the grand "double imperial" staircase, of which I cannot find a nice image of online anywhere. Gilbert lavished a great deal of attention [[and expense) to this enormous space and the gallery at the top of the stairs opposite Adam Strom Hall... the other 2 great spaces in the library. It's rather ironic that the greatest spaces in the DPL do not house books.

I've done a study of great staircases [[having been to some of the best). It is hard to believe that the DPL grand staircase is probably one of the dozen greatest in the world.... with competition from such stairs as the Paris Garnier Opera House, the staircase at the Würzburg Residenz [[palace of the Prince-Bishops), and the great staircase at the Royal Palace at Caserta [[outside Naples). Not even the Palace of Versailles has a staircase as grand as that at the DPL.

Most of the ones I've mentioned have "imperial staircases"... but a double imperial is truly rare. In any case... this is the grandest staircase in Detroit.

Here's an amateur's image I found... we need our resident photographer SOUTHEN to do a nice fish eye image of the DLPs stairs....

The DPL grand stairs is nicer than that of America's state capitols, and at least as nice as that of the US Capitol and LIbrary of Congress.
    I was going to take a picture of that but it was kinda darkly lighted.

Truly one of a kind! Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    I wrote an article about the main branch with photos. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.motorgay.net/2012/02/detr...in-branch.html
    Enjoyed your piece on DPL Main. If you want to learn even more about this magnificent building, consider taking the Preservation Detroit [[formerly Preservation Wayne) Cultural Center tour this summer!! Every Saturday morning 10am May through September, this 2 1/2-hour walking tour explores the history, architecture, and art [[and the artisans) of the Cultural Center buildings. We spend 45 minutes or so in the Library before heading out into the surrounding neighborhood. http://preservationwayne.org/45-2/de...eritage-tours/

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I agree that these are the greatest spaces in the DPL, but every time I go there I'm disappointed at how terribly utilized they are. The gallery at the top of the staircase is used for nothing other than undercooked exhibitions nobody goes to, and is at most a place you walk through, perhaps by accident, on your way to the upstairs reading rooms. It's really dark, as people have already mentioned [[that's why you can't get a decent photo), so you can barely see the murals on the walls and ceiling. I've always thought that upstairs room should be used as a grand reading room, but it's wasted at the moment.
    Last edited by Melocoton; March-01-12 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo

I've visited main libraries in a large number of cities across the country, and the Detroit library is probably my favorite. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw it. Used to love spending time there.

With water damage and a collapsing front porch, it sounds like someone better start passing the hat for the library. Who knows when the city will get around to repairing it?

I can recall my first trip to the Supreme Courthouse in Washington DC in High School. The main stairways are a near replica of what is found at the DPL. Cass Gilbert must have borrowed a lot from his other works.

I believe the water damage has been stabilized. The Library got a brand new roof last year to abate any further such issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Enjoyed your piece on DPL Main. If you want to learn even more about this magnificent building, consider taking the Preservation Detroit [[formerly Preservation Wayne) Cultural Center tour this summer!! Every Saturday morning 10am May through September, this 2 1/2-hour walking tour explores the history, architecture, and art [[and the artisans) of the Cultural Center buildings. We spend 45 minutes or so in the Library before heading out into the surrounding neighborhood. http://preservationwayne.org/45-2/de...eritage-tours/
    Thanks for the idea Kathleen, I will check that out. If any of you have an idea of something cool happening with some old building or just something that I should check out and write an article about let me know. I think I'm going to head downtown and see what is happening with the GAR building and take some photos. Everyone on this board is so nice and you guys know so damn much about stuff.

Isn't there some sort of card that can be used to access the library and the DIA and the like....like a library card from participating area libraries?

Stromberg2