Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Big Three Killed My Baby ?

What was Jack White referring to in this song ?

Oh wow thanks for that, Wikipedia says the song is an attack on the Big Three who killed trade unions in the 1960's ? Ha thats funny.

Still seeking a realistic answer.......

Different from the Big Four as I remember them being called back in the 70s and 80s? The four cops.

It was inspired by Frank Zapa's My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama.
    Or was it Babymama?

Last edited by black gold man; February-29-12 at 09:32 PM.

My guess is more likely the stifling of outside innovation and the history of the big three stealing innovations like the intermittent wipers and essentially starving out innovative upstarts like Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    and essentially starving out innovative upstarts like Tucker
    Lots of car companies went belly-up before the big three existed. Mass producing passenger cars at a profit is incredibly complicated. Lots have failed simply because it's really difficult to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers

After the rise, the big three dis-invested in Detroit and invested elsewhere. This is why you have a proliferation of big three owned facilities world wide. In some instances this makes sense as transportat costs may justify having factories elsewhere. However, in many cases vehicles are imported into the States because you can make more profit off of having some guy in eastern europe or Mexico make them at near slave wages. When this happens, it means less jobs, less investment in greater Detroit and more investment elsewhere.

Originally this was a 2 Star Tabernacle song. There is also a 2 Star version of the song with Andre Williams and Jack, both before the White Stripes.

Good thread, with the right answer at the end.