Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

highjinx Guest

Default Amusement Park on Warren Road & Outer Drive.

Back in the 50's-60's, there was an amusement park that was behind a bar/lounge on the southeastern corner of W. outer Drive and West Warren Ave in what I believe is Dearborn Heights area.
    Does anyone recall this place and the name of it?

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx View Post
    Back in the 50's-60's, there was an amusement park that was behind a bar/lounge on the southeastern corner of W. outer Drive and West Warren Ave in what I believe is Dearborn Heights area.
    Does anyone recall this place and the name of it?
    There was a roller rink there that I believe was called Riverside. If I'm not mistaken the park might have been part of the same complex.

highjinx Guest

Thanks! Now to find the other parts to this puzzle.

It was, indeed called Riverside Arena. We used to walk there from our house on Beaverland and skate to the organ music [[very strange for pre-teens to do such but we were oddballs). This was in the late 70s, early 80s. We walked there via Rouge Park [[our parents never thought twice about it and neither did we). There also used to be a Daly's there...although we never went to that one, we went to the original on Plymouth! The amusement park was a little before my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There was a roller rink there that I believe was called Riverside. If I'm not mistaken the park might have been part of the same complex.

I love it when question such as this jog the memories of my youth. We used to go by there on the way to my grandparents house and I always wanted to stop, but alas, it never happened. Yes, I remember the small amusement park there....

The Rollerskating rink was called the Rollerdrome. It had a fire - don't remember how long ago. There is a Dearborn Rollerdrome page on facebook. You can read the posts - you have to ask to be a member. I remember the small amusement park. I remember a ferris wheel and a small rollercoaster. I also remember rouge park with the Pony Rides and Concession stand and nice clean bathrooms. The ponies took you around a track...right at the entrance of the park. I know there's a bar on the corner and everybody called it the Detroit City hall - West Side office.....

I'm pretty sure Warren and Outer Drive, is Detroit, not Dearborn Heights. Can't help you out with the amusement park.

Well, the side the Rollerdrome was on is Dearborn Heights.....it used to be Dearborn Township...across the street is Rouge Park - that is in Detroit. Just like where I live...I am in Detroit....across one street is Dearborn Heights....across the other - Dearborn....Such is life

I remember the Amusement Park behind the roller rink too. Never went there though. Like DT I grew up in that general area just further East.

SMRJim, The roller rink was on the S side of the street making it Dear Hgts. If it was on the N side then it would be Detroit.

highjinx Guest

I found out the name of the roller rink, Dearborn Rollerdrome.
    And yes, the south side of the street was Dearborn Heights.
    A bar/lounge name Rouge Lounge was on the corner, then across the parking lot was the Rollerdrome, and the amusement park was behind it.

Oh Lord, you are correct! I also skated at Riverside as a youth [[it's on Plymouth Rd). I think I am getting old now

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    The Rollerskating rink was called the Rollerdrome. It had a fire - don't remember how long ago. There is a Dearborn Rollerdrome page on facebook. You can read the posts - you have to ask to be a member. I remember the small amusement park. I remember a ferris wheel and a small rollercoaster. I also remember rouge park with the Pony Rides and Concession stand and nice clean bathrooms. The ponies took you around a track...right at the entrance of the park. I know there's a bar on the corner and everybody called it the Detroit City hall - West Side office.....

The bar is still there. I pass by it everyday on my way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx View Post
    I found out the name of the roller rink, Dearborn Rollerdrome.
    And yes, the south side of the street was Dearborn Heights.
    A bar/lounge name Rouge Lounge was on the corner, then across the parking lot was the Rollerdrome, and the amusement park was behind it.

I'm very familiar with that corner, but how small of an amusement park was this? When the Rollerdrome was there, it would have been an extremely small plot of land for rides and such. Did it extend into the current park behind the current apartments?

It was behind the Rollerdrome and the bar. If you've gone to any of the "Church Festivals" that used to be in the area - it was about the same size....only difference is that it was permanent. Go to the Dearborn Rollerdrome facebook page...they share alot of memories.

Click here to view a comparison of aerial images of this intersection taken in 1961, 1967, 1981 and circa 2010.

Great set of pics. Thanks!

highjinx Guest

Thanks for all the responses, but I have found out and do believe that the name of this park was "Rouge Amusement Park".

What I found interesting..., I am member of a facebook page for the warrandale area. the area just east of outer drive, in the mid 50s to mid 60s, was once a missile site. Any information on that?

Quote Originally Posted by jlnascar View Post
    What I found interesting..., I am member of a facebook page for the warrandale area. the area just east of outer drive, in the mid 50s to mid 60s, was once a missile site. Any information on that?
    D-69

http://ed-thelen.org/loc-m.html#Michigan