Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lunch at McDonalds [[2-270

Had a filet of fish around 1:30pm down at the McDonalds on Michigan Avenue. I'm referring to the location that's 4 or 5 blocks West of Livernois. After I got finished eating I asked them to buzz me into the bathroom. There was a young guy [[late 20's maybe) laying on the floor there, not moving at all. Went back to the restroom with the manager and another fellow who worked there. The guy passed out did have a pulse, maybe he OD'ed or something, there was no question, whatever problem he had was serious. 911 was called and informed of the situation. I hung around 10 minutes or so, walked over to the Telway for a coffee and a donut, walked back, that took about another 10 minutes. Never did see EMS, I'm assuming they arrived, at some point. Also assuming the young guy didn't die while he was waiting.

That's the slowest Mc Donald's in the city of Detroit. And the dirtiest!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    That's the slowest Mc Donald's in the city of Detroit.
    I doubt it's anywhere near the slowest McDonalds in the city [[I've been to some terribly slow McDonalds).

In fact, it's probably nowhere near the slowest fast food restaurant in the city.

It's obvious he didn't have the fish then.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I doubt it's anywhere near the slowest McDonalds in the city [[I've been to some terribly slow McDonalds).

In fact, it's probably nowhere near the slowest fast food restaurant in the city.
    It is hard to have fast food with half-fast employees.

The slowest fast food restaurant in Detroit would be Burger King, take your pick for the slowest location.

Why did the Burger King close on Gratiot, north of Outer Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Why did the Burger King close on Gratiot, north of Outer Drive?
    A lot of Burger King locations have been closing as of late [[the location across from Eastland closed too).

Probably a combination between health code violations and poor sales.

What does McDonald's being slow have to do with someone passed out and possibly dying and EMS possibly not showing up. Even If they were the fastest fast food restaurant in America it wouldn't change the situation in the restroom. And the fact that EMS may not have showed up has nothing to do with the speed in which customers are served. Maybe I missed the point of this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It is hard to have fast food with half-fast employees.
    I'm not sure why, but on average the fast food restaurants in the suburbs [[especially the further away you get from the city) are much faster than what you find in Detroit.

That said, the McDonalds on 7 Mile and Gratiot must be one of McDonald's top locations in terms of sales, to afford those upgrades. Most of the locations in the suburbs haven't even received those type of upgrades yet.

You saw someone in need and actually helped them out?

It seems that most people would have stepped over the body, drained their bladder, and resumed their day.

A favorite topic! I buy several cups of coffee from McDonald's on West Vernor per day. I do not make coffee at home because McDonald's is so much better. That said, I have to assert that the McDonald's store on West Vernor must have the slowest drive-thru in the country.

By comparison, Timmy Horton's have the best drive-thrus. I read that Canadians pretty much prefer drive-thru ordering to walking in, so Tim's have perfected drive-thru's.It certainly seems to be the case. They can turn out big orders in such short amounts of time that there is virtually no wait in the line ever.

Not so McDonald's. And now I see that the staff on West Vernor are parking their cars in the fire or pass lane - they say its to be able to keep an eye on them but it makes it pretty hard to leve the line if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What does McDonald's being slow have to do with someone passed out and possibly dying and EMS possibly not showing up. Even If they were the fastest fast food restaurant in America it wouldn't change the situation in the restroom. And the fact that EMS may not have showed up has nothing to do with the speed in which customers are served. Maybe I missed the point of this point.
    That's what I am wondering... Someone posts about a person passed out in a bathroom and an ambulance that doesn't show up and it triggers a debate about which fast food restaurants in the metro area are the slowest? Wtf is wrong with people? Who cares about your stupid double cheeseburger and how long it took you to get it.

My next-door neighbor passed out in the street one summer night two years ago. We called EMS. They came right away. She was stone drunk according to the EMS, not in any danger of death except from being run over by a car. Nevertheless, they took her to the hospital. She spent the night. She stiffed the hospital and stiffed the City for her EMS bill. So many personal experiences like that in a lifetime that can't get excited over someone passed out in a bathroom on Michigan near Livernois.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    My next-door neighbor passed out in the street one summer night two years ago. We called EMS. They came right away. She was stone drunk according to the EMS, not in any danger of death except from being run over by a car. Nevertheless, they took her to the hospital. She spent the night. She stiffed the hospital and stiffed the City for her EMS bill. So many personal experiences like that in a lifetime that can't get excited over someone passed out in a bathroom on Michigan near Livernois.
    Well, I am sorry that these experiences have caused you to lack compassion for other human beings. I, however, still care... regardless of the personal experiences that I have had in MY lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    That's what I am wondering... Someone posts about a person passed out in a bathroom and an ambulance that doesn't show up and it triggers a debate about which fast food restaurants in the metro area are the slowest? Wtf is wrong with people? Who cares about your stupid double cheeseburger and how long it took you to get it.
    I completely understand where you and SWMAP are coming form.

But you have to understand that there's nothing we can do about what happened either. None of us [[except for the OP) were there when this took place.

Furthermore, I do get sick of the cliche-ish and generic "That's so unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that" response. Yes, we all know the incident is unfortunate and you're sorry to hear that. It doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Because it was soooo nasty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What does McDonald's being slow have to do with someone passed out and possibly dying ...
    They were probably starved to point of fainting.

SteveJ Guest

I noticed that too. The fast food places in the hood are beyond slow. You go to a Mcdonalds in Shelby Township and the service is 5 star.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I noticed that too. The fast food places in the hood are beyond slow. You go to a Mcdonalds in Shelby Township and the service is 5 star.
    Haven't been there in a while, but the McDonalds in the Cass Corridor has been super-fast.

Why does anyone patronize any McDonald's after the McLibel suit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_Case

The purpose of my poorly worded, poorly titled vignette, was to illustrate an episode of slow EMS service that I witnessed. Nobody knew what was wrong with that poor guy, However, it stands to reason that he would have been way better off with a timely ambulance appearence.

As far as a critique of fast food restaurants in the city, I have no problem with that. I'd venture to say, I've been to all of them at one time or another.

They're hungry ? McDonalds serves about 50 million people a day in about 100 countries.

Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Why does anyone patronize any McDonald's after the McLibel suit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_Case
    That happened it McEngland. This is McD.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The purpose of my poorly worded, poorly titled vignette, was to illustrate an episode of slow EMS service that I witnessed. Nobody knew what was wrong with that poor guy, However, it stands to reason that he would have been way better off with a timely ambulance appearence.

As far as a critique of fast food restaurants in the city, I have no problem with that. I'd venture to say, I've been to all of them at one time or another.
    We're Detroiters. We just watched another baby get buried. This time, only nine months old.

It's hard for us to get worked up over a guy passed out in a bathroom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast