Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gambrel Roofed House on Atkinson

Diving in...

Anyone out there know who designed this house on Atkinson? Love it love it.
    Name:  110 atkinson 2010.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  58.1 KB
    Last edited by southofbloor; February-26-12 at 07:29 PM.

Southofbloor, your pictures of houses in Detroit's historic neighborhoods are some of the best that I've seen posted on the internet. Please keep them coming.

I don't know who designed this house; but before it was aluminum-sided, the upper floors were sided with cedar shakes. Additionally, the 3rd floor corner windows were leaded stained glass.

The house on the left edge of your picture was clad in clapboard before it too was aluminum-sided.

IMO, the couple of blocks of Atkinson between Woodward and Third contain some of the most architecturally interesting houses in that area of Detroit. Building began close to Woodward ~1900 and most of the houses were built by the start of the 1st World War.

I agree with NeilR. I've had the opportunity to do work in three of those houses on the first block, all spittin' distance within the one posted. You are correct about the dates, 1905-WWI. Notice the lack of driveways.

There are several gambrel [[barn style) roofs on that block One house has blue iridescent Pewabic Tile fireplace, the only other one I've seen is at the DIA. Another house three west from the picture has an oval dining room, with pocket doors. Beautifully carved Tiered mantles [[to the ceiling) are common. Walnut panelling is common, so are bi-fold french doors.

The closing of Ingleside at the corner of Woodward has done alot to bring this block's curb appeal down, detracting from the intrigue of this block.

It is a very beautiful home, sitting empty it looks like ?

Thanks Neil! Detroit has terrific houses, and I agree that that stretch of Atkinson is interesting. Actually most streets in that swath around Woodward all the way up to Palmer Park have great buildings. I wish I were more relaxed on Lawrence, Burlingame, Monterey etc. There are some real beauties on those streets.

HT - interesting about the blue Pewabic and some of the shared features. Wonder if there was a builder who produced multiple buildings? A pretty elaborate gambrel roofed house on Seyburn that I thought might have been by George Mason turned out to be a pattern book house - haven't tracked this one's origin down yet though.

This is the house in 1983...

Name:  110 atkinson 1983.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by southofbloor; February-26-12 at 07:28 PM.

Goodness what an adorable spacious house. It must get great lighting in the second floor corner area where the windows bend. Simply wonderful!

Here it is in Google Maps.

It looks like it was being refurbished at that time.

Ty Cobb had a house on 2nd, I believe.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Ty Cobb had a house on 2nd, I believe.

Stromberg2
    Ty Cobb lived on the the NW corner of Atkinson and Third.

Name:  Ty Cobb House.jpg
Views: 4530
Size:  56.0 KB
    Courtesy of Google Maps

Thanks, Neilr, I knew I was close. That's a nice looking house...the stories it could tell!

Stromberg2

These homes are great! How are the neighborhoods? Safe? Clean?

Back on 110 Atkinson - Allan M identified this as being by Kastler and Hunter, 1905. That is William E. N. Hunter and Joseph E. Kastler. Another of their designs at 205 Alger is below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southofbloor/4895066809/

Name:  205 alger.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  71.3 KB

A once stately home.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    I don't know who designed this house; but before it was aluminum-sided, the upper floors were sided with cedar shakes. Additionally, the 3rd floor corner windows were leaded stained glass.
    If that is tin they have done a good job with it. It looks just like the shakes only painted.