Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Romney bombs BIG in Detroit

I love the wide angle shots of the empty Ford Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOD9KpDsyZM

I don't know if Romney actually "bombed", but his campaign team must have had some kind of brain freeze if they thought they could possibly attract a crowd large enough to make Ford Field a reasonable venue. It isn't is as if there aren't many other facilities nearby that are a more appropriate size. I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't something available.

Even the Fox [[5,174 seats) or Masonic [[4,404 seats) or Detroit Opera House [[2,765 seats) would have been way too big... what was his team thinking??

According to some news reports [[I can't remember which channel)...the speaking engagement was supposed to be somewhere else in the complex, but there was a security issue, so they had to move it to the field. Romney's camp didn't like it either.

I expected more from the Romney team. I considered them to have the best organization among the Repubs. What happened at Ford field gave me the sense that they might not know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    According to some news reports [[I can't remember which channel)...the speaking engagement was supposed to be somewhere else in the complex, but there was a security issue, so they had to move it to the field. Romney's camp didn't like it either.
    That makes sense.

I forget what venue it was at, but Pres Obama had an underwelming number of people for a Detroit appearance a year or two ago and that's for a sitting president. I can't imagine the Romney people thought they'd come anywhere close to filling up a 65,000 seat stadium for a primary election.

Smalls might have been a better choice, though I'm sure Melody would disagree.

Stromberg2

He probably could have held his event in a large Coney for all the people to actually showed up.

Seriously though, I just love the way he tried to get his Michigan street cred in by telling about the Mustang, Ford Truck, and multiple Caddies his wife drives. I guess it's hard work trying to distance himself from the whole "F--- Detroit, let em go bankrupt" thing.

Funny how they talk about him not backing the car companies from getting government assistance [[which I know he didn't) but weren't the Democrats the ones ripping into the auto executives like they were moronic children in suits?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Funny how they talk about him not backing the car companies from getting government assistance [[which I know he didn't) but weren't the Democrats the ones ripping into the auto executives like they were moronic children in suits?
    Yes, the Dems did rip the auto executives in the beginning. The reason was that they came up with half-baked business plans and had their hands out for the money. The gov't thinking was " if the taxpayer is going to bail you out you need to come better than this. To there credit the auto executives pulled together a business plan that made sense, realized the gov't just wasn't going to hand over money to them. Once the parties got on the same page, things went a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    A security issue in a smaller section of Ford Field complex so they move it into the main stadium? Sounds like utter BS to me, a lame attempt to cover someone's incompetence.

The blame for which ultimately falls into Willard's lap. Face reality, this guy's an empty suit and I can't wait until Barack Obama gets a chance to demolish him or one of the other pompous blowhards in a real debate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/politics/for-romney-a-message-lost-in-the-empty-seats.html

Name:  24fordfield-AP-articleLarge.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  70.6 KB

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Romney, like me, was staunchly against the auto bailout.

However, I have the courage to admit I was dead wrong, while Romney likes to pretend he was somehow for it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...the-right?bn=1

Front page story in today's Toronto Star. Mitt tells story of attending 1946 Golden Jubilee of the Automobile - 9 months before he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Romney, like me, was staunchly against the auto bailout.

However, I have the courage to admit I was dead wrong, while Romney likes to pretend he was somehow for it.

Good for you, I like that. But if any Republican candidate admits a mistake, it will be a deathblow. Just take a look at Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey. The equal marriage act passed the house and senate of New Jersey but Christie did not have the balls to insult the far right religious base of the Tea Party and refused to sign it into law. Instead opting for a referendum... It would effectively kill his chances to ever be a candidate for the Presidency. Just what America needs, another asshole without backbone...

I think Romney's anti bailout stance will haunt him forever. Just shows that he's nothing but a calculating corporate hack without a heart for the common man.

Naming all the brands he can think off to appease his folks. "[His wife] drives several Cadillacs". Just the message the struggling folks of Detroit want to hear. Just showing off how much money he made out of the misery of other people at his former job at Bale; gutting companies of the capital and firing all personel.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-26-12 at 09:25 AM.

Good one 401don, I like the line; -"He may well have been conceived on that fine day, but it is inconceivable he was actually there".

You can expect a whole slew of Pink Panthers rummaging thru the White House waste paper baskets to find something to pin on Obama's ass in the next little while...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Good one 401don, I like the line; -"He may well have been conceived on that fine day, but it is inconceivable he was actually there".

That would actually make a good case in favor of abortion.

Face reality, this guy's an empty suit and I can't wait until Barack Obama gets a chance to demolish him or one of the other pompous blowhards in a real debate.
    Romney is an accomplished person. He isn't a very good politician, which I think is because he is running for the nomination of a party which is largely detached from reality. He has to say lots of things he doesn't really believe and as a result can't keep them straight in his head. He also doesn't pander subtly; when he is pandering it is too obvious--like the "trees are the right height" comments. He also has a tin ear for normal people's problems. But far from an empty suit.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    That is a pretty accurate description of Rick Wagoner and Bob Nardelli, IMO. GM and Chrysler are a lot better off without those two.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    That is a pretty accurate description of Rick Wagoner and Bob Nardelli, IMO. GM and Chrysler are a lot better off without those two.
    The fact that the Obama administration gave a no-confidence vote to Wagoner [[who was the leader among the auto execs) spoke volumes on how bad the initial business plans were that were given to the gov't.

im just glad he gave me the chance to literally laugh for 20 minuets straight

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Romney is an accomplished person. He isn't a very good politician, which I think is because he is running for the nomination of a party which is largely detached from reality. He has to say lots of things he doesn't really believe and as a result can't keep them straight in his head. He also doesn't pander subtly; when he is pandering it is too obvious--like the "trees are the right height" comments. He also has a tin ear for normal people's problems. But far from an empty suit.
    If you want a sense on how Romney will really govern, read up on his time as gov of Mass.

Actually this guy is only a little to the right of Obama however not far enough to the right to make his potential base happy. Romney is really trapped in a box. I believe he wants to govern like his father but his party won't stand for it. He will be forced to make promises to make his party happy that will make him unelectable to conservative Dems and Independents.

SteveJ Guest

I would take Romney 100x more than that loon Santorum. He called Obama a snob yesterday because Obama wants all Americans to have a chance to attend college. The Republicans may have the biggest amount of whack jobs ever. We have anti-education, anti-gays, anti-everything. Obama can come out and be anti-abortion tomorrow and they will change their stance to pro abortion. Its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    He isn't a very good politician, which I think is because he is running for the nomination of a party which is largely detached from reality. He has to say lots of things he doesn't really believe and as a result can't keep them straight in his head. He also doesn't pander subtly; when he is pandering it is too obvious--like the "trees are the right height" comments. He also has a tin ear for normal people's problems.
    Huh? Might I now ask what exactly you'd consider an empty suit?

Willard might be an "accomplished person" but acquiring wealth by destroying middle class worker's livelihoods isn't a requisite skill for the job he's after. Then again, perhaps he doesn't want the actual job as much as he simply wants to be President?

Do we really need another guy with daddy issues? How'd that junior Bush experiment work out?

Stuff the ice chest, baby.

George W. Bush was an empty suit. Romney is not. But Bush was a better politician.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast