Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Chrysler/Fiat Global HQ: Could this end up downtown?

The article about Marchioni’s new home purchase also stated “The move comes at a time when Chrysler workers and the business community are wondering what the executive's plans might be for a new global Chrysler and Fiat headquarters and whether its location could be in Auburn Hills”. Thus, one must ask; could this actually end up in Detroit? What if Chrysler/Fiat consolidated its entire tech operation in Auburn Hills [[which other posts claim is busting at the seam), and move the executive team into One Woodward or build a new “Global HQ” in downtown Detroit? Is this feasible or am I dreaming. I always assume the latter when it comes to Detroit development issues.

I know there are multiple Chrysler real estate rumors floating around right now downtown, but has this one even been considered?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012022...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Thus, one must ask; could this actually end up in Detroit? What if Chrysler/Fiat consolidated its entire tech operation in Auburn Hills [[which other posts claim is busting at the seam), and move the executive team into One Woodward or build a new “Global HQ” in downtown Detroit? Is this feasible or am I dreaming. I always assume the latter when it comes to Detroit development issues
    You're dreaming.

Honestly, Detroit City needs to look beyond the auto industry. It will always be part of the culture or economy, but the auto industry will not save the city.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You're dreaming.

Honestly, Detroit City needs to look beyond the auto industry. It will always be part of the culture or economy, but the auto industry will not save the city.
    Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    ...and move the executive team into One Woodward or build a new “Global HQ” in downtown Detroit? Is this feasible or am I dreaming. I always assume the latter when it comes to Detroit development issues.

I know there are multiple Chrysler real estate rumors floating around right now downtown, but has this one even been considered?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120224/BUSINESS0103/302240004/Chrysler-CEO-buys-36-3-9-million-Oakland-County-home?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
    It's a pipe dream. Where's the shareholder value in moving downtown and paying the additional city corporate and personal income taxes that they wouldn't pay in Auburn Hills? Even GM was planning on moving their downtown HQ to Warren before the feds stepped in and gave them bailouts and forced them to stay. It'll never happen. Unless the city gets rid of these taxes or feds or governor give them huge government handouts to make that happen, which there isn't public money for anyway. Ford was smart to leave downtown after the deuce was no longer in charge.

Why would they move downtown? What would be the purpose?

The whole reason they built the new campus in the first place was to be closer to their executives' homes.

If this weren't a factor, they might as well have stayed in HP.

"In a bid to attract younger employees, more companies are moving out of the 'burbs and back in to cities."
    http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...back-downtown/

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why would they move downtown? What would be the purpose?

The whole reason they built the new campus in the first place was to be closer to their executives' homes.

If this weren't a factor, they might as well have stayed in HP.
    Uhhhm.. I don't think that was the primary motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Uhhhm.. I don't think that was the primary motivation.
    I can assure you that you're wrong, because we are friends with the family of a former Chrysler chairman.

But why don't you tell us why they built the HQ complex in AH, right off I-75.

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    "In a bid to attract younger employees, more companies are moving out of the 'burbs and back in to cities."
    http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...back-downtown/
    When you're Chrysler, Gm, and Ford, employees come to you.

You're dreaming.

It's not as far fetched as you think.

Dan Gilbert has been in deep talks with Chrysler for a while now. They're also looking at One Detroit Center [[former Comerica HQ) and 1001 Woodward for more office space.

If I expect any hesitation from anyone about a possible move downtown, it would be from the workers [[just like with Quicken).

That said, don't be so negative. While at the end of the day we're still shuffling the same old chairs around, ultimately having Detroit's largest white collar employers CENTRALIZED IN DONWTOWN DETROIT will benefit us [[the region) much more in the meantime, and that will in the long run help us to compete with cities such as Chicago to attract the bigger fish outside of the city/state [[who are attracted to cities with great, vibrant downtowns).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    When you're Chrysler, Gm, and Ford, employees come to you.
    Depends on what type of employees. If you're talking blue collar employees who would work anywhere that is paying a respectable salary then yes. If you're talking about highly educated employees with high demand skills sets then no, it's not so clear cut.

The article states his new home is in northern Oakland County. Auburn Hills is in mid Oakland County.

I don't believe he is going to drive past current Chrysler headquarters into Detroit.

As to Chrysler's move to Auburn Hills, my father, who was an engineer for Chrysler for 40+ years, always wished he had worked at Auburn Hills insteand of Highalnd Park. The quarters in HP were cramped beyond belief [[and difficult to upgrade) compared to the new campus.

I've talked to 2 folks working at Chrysler in Auburn Hills, and they are bursting at the seams, space wise. While I wouldn't count out a larger Detroit presence... having the Chairman buy a home in the outer reaches of Oakland County, doesn't bode well for the concept of a downtown HQ...

Since both Chrysler and GM are neck and neck for being Detroit's largest employer [[outside of government, schools and health care)... I don't buy any arguments against them bringing in additional employees... only this time downtown, ... for whatever reason [[taxes, commutes, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've talked to 2 folks working at Chrysler in Auburn Hills, and they are bursting at the seams, space wise....
    Is there room for expansion at Auburn Hills? It looks like it in Google Maps. Who owns the land just north of there? Delphi?

Wasn't the whole reason for that campus to keep everyone close? Has that worked well for Chrysler?

Still playing the hypothetical, only a dream game; what if they were interested in One Woodard? How much space is available there? And consequently, how many Chrysler employees could it hold?

Nothing wrong with dream games.

Speaking of games, this might make a good treasure hunt. Has anyone found Marchioni’s new home yet? There's one west of Oxford near Seymour Lake and Baldwin that might fit the description.

On second thought that looks too small.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-24-12 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nothing wrong with dream games.

Speaking of games, this might make a good treasure hunt. Has anyone found Marchioni’s new home yet? There's one west of Oxford near Seymour Lake and Baldwin that might fit the description.

On second thought that looks too small.
    Looks like they are worried about security. That may make it hard to find.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...merce-township

Next SuperBowl commercial can be two minutes worth of their vehicles in carefully choreographed traffic flow around Campus Martius...with the ice-skaters in the park...or if not winter, a concert on the stage...some sign of the life there. Maybe even the sunrise over the Millender on one of the Equinoxes...and the sunset down Michigan Avenue...a new day in Detroit city.

I could see it starting with all the colors and styles of the Fiat 500...veddy European...and then it would dawn on everyone it was Detroit's downtown. Then whatever they want to highlight would park in front of the Spirit of Detroit statue, and promptly get a parking ticket.

Consider this date and time my copyright...LOL...
    Last edited by Gannon; February-24-12 at 03:41 PM.

Go back and read this thread for some perspective on why and how Chrysler ended up in Auburn Hills.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...o-Auburn-Hills

The reason is not so much as simple as to say so "it was near where executives lived." Sure that may be one of many factors but it certainly was not the primary factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've talked to 2 folks working at Chrysler in Auburn Hills, and they are bursting at the seams, space wise.
    In the tech center or the HQ complex? The HQ complex has significant empty space, as it was built for a then much larger company.

And Chrysler has an enormous campus, bigger than GM's Ren Cen complex. I doubt they couldn't accomodate even the most optimistic staffing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ...Speaking of games, this might make a good treasure hunt. Has anyone found Marchioni’s new home yet?...
    One article says it's in northern Oakland County but the other says they're in Commerce Twp. Did he buy more than two?

Maybe it's information chaff for security. LOL!

SteveJ Guest

Depends on what type of employees. If you're talking blue collar employees who would work anywhere that is paying a respectable salary then yes. If you're talking about highly educated employees with high demand skills sets then no, it's not so clear cut.
    White collar workers are dying to go to the big 3 because of the salary and benefits. I have relatives that work at the tech center in Warren. People from all over the country have moved here recently to work in freaking Warren. Chrysler isn't going to gain workers by moving to downtown Detroit. You would have to be an idiot to turn down Chrysler.

I have a very good friend who works there and says they are at capacity as far as work space. That being said, the complex is only 16 years old, extremely well kept, and at over 5 million sq ft, I don't think you're going to be able to move those people to an existing structure downtown, as well as have room to grow if the claims of overcrowding are true. It would seem like a gigantic waste of money [[and I'm sure the public/ government might have something to say about it) if they decided to up and move. Personally, I think it would be moronic for them to do so. That's why it won't happen.

bartock Guest

You're dreaming.

Agree with this. The musical chair talk doesn't address the economic diversity needs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast