Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Will Metro Detroiters Get 7 Inches Tonight?

Detroit — What could be Metro Detroit's biggest snowstorm of the winter is on track to arrive this evening, but not until after most commuters have made it home.

"We'll start to see precipitation right around 7 or 8 [[this evening)," said meteorologist Matt Mosteiko of the National Weather Service in White Lake Township. "After about 8 p.m., we're expecting mainly all snow for the entire area."

Despite the delay, the storm is expected to drop several inches on the Metro area Thursday night into Friday morning.

"We're expecting about 2 to 4 inches through 7 a.m.," in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties, said Mosteiko. "From 7 a.m. until about noon [[Friday), we're expecting an additional 1-3 inches."

"Our storm total is in the 3.5 to 7-inch range, with Downriver seeing the lowest [[accumulations) and northwest Oakland County seeing the highest," he said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ETRO/202230444

A Vanity 6 reference?

In the bum

That title is just too easy..

Call me the Winter agnostic. I'm not going to believe any of these predictions until I got walloped with the snow. Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me one way or another. I've lived here long enough to know how to drive through the mess, I know how to shovel and do all of those things to make Detroit winters livable. I roll with it and quite bluntly I can't change it unless I want to bolt from this area.

"Our storm total is in the 3.5 to 7-inch range, with Downriver seeing the lowest [[accumulations) and northwest Oakland County seeing the highest," he said.

We'll see, but usually that turns out to be 0 to 4".

If 20 people get shot and killed overnight they won't get any coverage tomorrow.
    Even if we get just 2" the local news will be in full blown blizzard coverage.

Just use the equation and you too can predict the weather:

actual snowfall = predicted amount/2 - 1in"

I think this is basically the Weather Service throwing a snow day to the kids. They've been deprived this year.

I read on the WDIV website that we might get some thundersnow. Few things, weather-wise, are cooler than that.

2-4" total in Detroit. The 6"+ amounts will be in the typically favored Grand Rapids-Flint-Port Huron areas.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    A Vanity 6 reference?
    Hmmm, I'm not sure how you got "7 inches long" from "7 inches tonight."

Actually it's "seven inches more"

I had the poster that came with the album in my locker at Renaissance High School.

That's what she said!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Actually it's "seven inches more"

I had the poster that came with the album in my locker at Renaissance High School.
    I just looked the official lyrics, and you're pretty close, it's "seven inches or more."

I still don't see what it has to do with the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

That's funny 'cause it's generally true!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

Ding, ding, ding -- we have a winner!

and of course, the local news has to justify their hyperbole by sending out staff to squeegee, measure and shovel the one inch of snow that's on the ground.

Figures, all the hype and we got maybe 2 inches.

Nope, I wasn't planning on being in town.

Occurrence Guest

I woke up this morning with a light dusting on the grass. That's great weather forecasting.

When the weather newscasters blow it this bad they should have to do their weather report from a busy intersection with their pants around their ankles. Cars can drive by a splash them with slush.

Northern Oakland County already has 4" of snow and it's still coming down.

hopefully the snowfall won't be too disruptive..

They just do this crap so everybody will go buy bottled water and panic and stuff. I remember it used to be wonderful to watch the snow fall and wonder if school would close. That was back when the "system" running smoothly wasn't all-important and it was kinda cool to hunker down and maybe throw a few snowballs instead.

I never worry about the big snowstorms. What scares me is the ice storms and the real mess that ensues. The broken branches and trees, the power outages from ice build-up on power lines, and the sewer backup potential,etc...