Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit architectual historians rev up your minds!

The images are of the Ingleside Club, 35 Atkinson. The club was in business from approx 1916-1956. I would love to find out more about the club if anyone knows about the club or has any pics please let me know. A list of the past presidents I could find is:
    1917 Dr. Charles E. Chadsey
    1918 Dr. Charles E. Chadsey
    1919 J. K. Livingston
    1920 Dr. R. J. Service
    1921 T. J. Knapp
    1926 T. J. Knapp
    1927 Charles D. Hartman
    1929 Frank D. Ross
    1930 Samuel R. Kingston
    1931 Gordon W. Kingsley
    1934 Russel V. Allman
    1936 Clifford L. Snyder
    1938 Howard T. Ely
    1939 Roy W. Owen
    1940 Roy W. Owen
    1942 Herbert E. Hartman
    1943 Roy W. Owen
    1944 Chester J. Morse
    1945 Chester J. Morse
    1946 R. E. Hofelich
    1947 R. E. Hofelich
    1948 R. E. Hofelich
    1949 C. L. Stevens
    1950 F. E. Holbrook
    1951 Vern Smith
    1952 Dr. C. J. Marceceau
    1953 Dr. C. J. Marceceau
    1954 O. A. Rouland
    1955 O. A. Rouland
    1956 R. Dieterle
    I would especially like any interior pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It blows my mind that a building like that, and so many others, is abandoned.

Stromberg2

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DA405B858DF1D3

Here is a brief description and a different exterior shot.

Attachment 12098

Great pics and good to see the plans! I had wondered whether that area to the east was tennis courts. But I've been looking for a while for info on the place and have no info beyond what has been posted. Owner was trying to sell it for a lot of money a couple of years ago. I don't think that went anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DA405B858DF1D3

Here is a brief description and a different exterior shot.

Attachment 12098
    Very nice pic! Great info on the club.

Here's a pic I found of the foundation construction taken on October 21, 1915.

Name:  Ingleside Club Const. 1915.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  68.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Krawlspace View Post
    Here's a pic I found of the foundation construction taken on October 21, 1915.

Name:  Ingleside Club Const. 1915.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  68.9 KB
    Terrific pic, I was a little worried nobody would provide any information! If you and anyone finds any interior pics I would be very happy.

Wow, nice...so it looks like they re-bricked the facade right? has a sort of Detroit Waldorf/Liggett feel to it, although different architects.

Martin-Krausman was the general contractor...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wow, nice...so it looks like they re-bricked the facade right? has a sort of Detroit Waldorf/Liggett feel to it, although different architects.
    I wondered that - the original photos look like stucco to me but it could be light brick. The canopy above the brick entrance arch appears to be the same one as the one in the b/w photos, and that brickwork looks like it is part of the original building.
    Name:  atkinson.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  70.6 KB
    Last edited by southofbloor; February-25-12 at 05:41 PM.

Lets restore it for the DYes Club.

Very Liggettesque. Most D&M buildings are stone or brick, one of the reasons I like the original stucco facade.

Martin-Krausman was the general contractor...
    Do you have more information on Martin-Krausman?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-25-12 at 08:47 PM.

Isn't this the late Woodward Nursing Center?

Don't know much about the contractor really. I am sure the Burton Collection has a wealth of info...I know they have the ledger from Donaldson and Meier with a listing of pretty much all their works. I tired to jot down as much as I could, since it could not be photocopied. I really like how a lot of the designs in the pre-20s era had that awning sort of feature over the doorways. Albert Kahn seemed to make that his trademark in his earlier residential designs.

Don't know much about the contractor really. I am sure the Burton Collection has a wealth of info...I know they have the ledger from Donaldson and Meier with a listing of pretty much all their works. I tired to jot down as much as I could, since it could not be photocopied. I really like how a lot of the designs in the pre-20s era had that awning sort of feature over the doorways. Albert Kahn seemed to make that his trademark in his earlier residential designs.
    Most of the D&M information is the 20's or later. They have changed their policy you can scan everything but their picture collection although the ledgers are not very legible, Unfortunately the fabulous pics of the Stott Building under construction are way to pricey to have Burton scan them. As for the Ingleside all I got was dumbfounded looks when I showed them the pic of the building. They try to be as helpful as possible but budget cuts and neglect have left the Burton a shell of its former self. I have found more useful information at the Bentley Library in Ann Arbor, And thx for the reply!!

Sorry for the poor quality reproduction; but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.
    Name:  Ingleside Club #2.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  53.2 KB