Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Liquor sold at gas stations

When did the state start allowing this? I know it's been going on for a couple years now. I know there is a minimum non-alcoholic merchandise value that has to be maintained [[250K) and square footage requirements in order to sell it. There's no way in hell all of the places have that kind of stick on their shelves. You see some real crap holes around the city and even the burbs. What's everyone's thoughts? I know how much everyone loves more liquor stores!

This is common in much of the State outside of the metro area. I have only seen this in a couple of locations in the metro and both times it floored me. I had always assumed that this has something to do with zoning and liscences; which are more locally controlled.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I doubt it's anymore likely that someone is going to drink and drive if they happen to purchase gas and alcohol as opposed to just alcohol.

What is even more disturbing is that 7 eleven is selling gas

Occurrence Guest

Booze drinkers can conveniently get their drug at gas stations now, but I can't get my medicine at dispensaries because that's somehow a danger to the community and our social fabric. What a world.

I cannot wait until they sell medical marijuana at your local corner recharging stations!
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .. just a grinning over here!

9mile&seneca Guest

We just got Sunday sales in Ga. Awaiting armaggedon...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    We just got Sunday sales in Ga. Awaiting armaggedon...

Thats nothing, as of last year liqour stores and bars can buy a special stamp that allows them to sell booze before noon on SUNDAY in Michigan!! Some bars are actually selling booze before Lion's games [[legally) now.

Occurrence Guest

Why couldn't bar sell booze on Sunday mornings before?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Why couldn't bar sell booze on Sunday mornings before?
    They used to call them Blue Laws. Religious observance type that in most areas have been deemed unconstitutional. Just like you couldn't buy a motor vehicle on Sundays.

Occurrence Guest

That's not surprising. I had a feeling it had something to do with the religious nuts.