ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gone With The Wind at the Redford Theater

http://redfordtheatre.com

March 2nd, 8 pm
    March 3rd, 8 pm
    March 4th, 2 pm

Tix: $4.00, free and guarded parking

Plus they will have GWTW expert on hand at all three shows to answer questions and dish a little trivia ... some of which might include a little Ernie Harwell history.

Ms. Marcaccio, the GWTW expert, is an engaging speaker and really knows her stuff about the film, the book and all things Detroit.

If you've never seen the film on the big screen, if you've never been to the Redford, do yourself a favor and splurge.

Popcorn is popped on-site and Vernors is well stocked.

I will try to make it to one of these shows. It would be great to see Kathleen as well and hear her talk about the movie.

When did they start making popcorn on site? I didn't smell popcorn at the Redford when I was there for "Charade".

Thank you, kind sirs!!!

Hope to see you and other DYes'rs at the Redford!!

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    When did they start making popcorn on site? I didn't smell popcorn at the Redford when I was there for "Charade".
    I'm pretty sure they were making it there when we went to see The Sting there last year.

I have been to the Redford Theater many times and they always have had popcorn when I have been there, and I have always bought some. And maybe a second one. And maybe some candy...

To promote this upcoming event, I've been interviewed by a couple of local media services.

Here's the first piece, just posted this morning:
    http://www.hometownlife.com/article/.../ENT/202230493

Saw GWTW for the first time at Redford many years ago. Wish I was close by to come and see it again.

Yes, they have popcorn at the concession stand. I've seen them bring out the popcorn, pre-popped, in long plastic bags. I don't believe they pop it on site. Let me know if I'm mistaken when you go to GWTW. Thanks.

Bumping this up....so you can make your weekend plans now!!!

C'mon out to the Redford Theatre this weekend. I'll be at all three screenings of Gone With The Wind.

The organ overture begins at 7:15, earlier than usual, so that there is time for a 15-minute GWTW presentation from the stage ahead of the movie.

Look for me in the lobby near my GWTW memorabilia display.

See you there!!!

Me and my crew will be there...always been meaning to check out the Redford Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Yes, they have popcorn at the concession stand. I've seen them bring out the popcorn, pre-popped, in long plastic bags. I don't believe they pop it on site. Let me know if I'm mistaken when you go to GWTW. Thanks.
    They don't pop their own corn -- but the user REAL BUTTER, melted right on-site.

Its an all-volunteer organization, and the work to maintain/clean a popper is more than they want to incur. That said, they purchase very carefully, and its always fresh. When combined with BUTTER just like at home, its truly magical.

Don't ask for ice. They don't have any. And no refills. The drinks are so cheap [[$1.00 or $1.50 for 20oz) that its an insult.

Best value in town -- great pictures on screen -- great mood -- and more fun for the dollar than you can find anywhere. Come on -- $4.00 a ticket?

100% of the money goes to maintain theatre and organ restoration.

You're 100% right. I love that place, it's always a good time for a great price. Many of the movies are not my taste, but it's always a good experience to go there. The Redford is a special place and the volunteers deserve so much credit for keeping it running and for doing all the improvements. I go there 3-4 times a year at least, you can't beat it for a special night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    They don't pop their own corn -- but the user REAL BUTTER, melted right on-site..
    That's exactly how it was done at the Madison when I was an usher there in the late 60's...pre-popped in a huge bag, poured into the display then Real FOAMY BUTTER poured on till it was soaked! Now that was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    To promote this upcoming event, I've been interviewed by a couple of local media services.

Here's the first piece, just posted this morning:
    http://www.hometownlife.com/article/.../ENT/202230493
    Very interesting, Kathleen. We used to live a couple of blocks from the apartment [["The Dump") where Margaret Mitchell lived when she wrote Gone With the Wind.

Here is a website of ante-bellum homes located near Atlanta...
    http://www.lasersol.com/covington/index.html

Some say, the first one was used as a model for Tara. Not sure about that, but it is stately. These homes were spared by Gen. Sherman, legend says, because he had a friend that lived in the town.

Wish we could make the screening.

Yes GWTW was one of the greatest films ever made. But there's another reason to see the movie at the glorious Redford Theatre. You get to see, on the big screen, one of the hottest babes in movie history, Vivian Leigh. She won a well-deserved Academy Award for playing Scarlett O'Hara.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    Very interesting, Kathleen. We used to live a couple of blocks from the apartment [["The Dump") where Margaret Mitchell lived when she wrote Gone With the Wind.

Here is a website of ante-bellum homes located near Atlanta...
    http://www.lasersol.com/covington/index.html

Some say, the first one was used as a model for Tara. Not sure about that, but it is stately. These homes were spared by Gen. Sherman, legend says, because he had a friend that lived in the town.

Wish we could make the screening.
    Thanks, PeachLaser! I make it to Atlanta once a year, sometimes twice, to attend events. Have visited many beautiful towns like Covington and Madison and Jonesboro and Marietta and Roswell and others through the years. A few years back a friend owned a beautiful home in Covington and ran it as a GWTW B&B, along with another one in that she called Inn Scarlett's Footsteps.

I hope that you've seen Gone With The Wind at Atlanta's Fox Theatre!! What a setting!!

Love the Redford, love the organ, love the whole old-time pre-multiplex movie-going experience. The Redford Theater really is one of this city's most under-appreciated gems. A big thanks to all of the people who keep it going!

Thanks, PeachLaser! I make it to Atlanta once a year, sometimes twice, to attend events. Have visited many beautiful towns like Covington and Madison and Jonesboro and Marietta and Roswell and others through the years. A few years back a friend owned a beautiful home in Covington and ran it as a GWTW B&B, along with another one in that she called Inn Scarlett's Footsteps.

I hope that you've seen Gone With The Wind at Atlanta's Fox Theatre!! What a setting!!
    My wife and I were married in 1994 on the front porch of Bulloch Hall in Roswell, former home of Mittie Bulloch Teddy Roosevelts grandmother. Had her brought around in a white carriage drawn by all white horses BEAUTIFUL.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    My wife and I were married in 1994 on the front porch of Bulloch Hall in Roswell, former home of Mittie Bulloch Teddy Roosevelts grandmother. Had her brought around in a white carriage drawn by all white horses BEAUTIFUL.
    I cam imagine how beautiful a scene your wedding was at Bulloch Hall!! I've visited there twice...although I've never gotten to go inside! Both times the place was closed, once because it was being painted just ahead of the '96 Olympics.

Margaret Mitchell interviewed a woman who was one of Mittie's bridesmaids for a feature in the Atlanta Journal.

From the Detroit Historical Museum archives come these photos of Gone With The Wind costumes on display in late January 1940 when the movie opened here in Detroit:
    http://detroithistorical.wordpress.c...with-the-wind/

Is the Motor City Java House still open next door to the theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Is the Motor City Java House still open next door to the theatre?
    It sure is....open Tues-Sat.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor-...419291?sk=info

Kathleen, it sounds like you probably know more of our history around here than many of us! We live just south of Roswell and go through there all the time. I used to work in Madison and my wife is from Covington so often get to see these beautiful old homes. I used to write software for Ted 'Rhett Butler' Turner also. And, no, haven't seen GWTW yet in the Fox but will some day. Wish you success there in Detroit!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast