Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Asperger Syndrome Adults

All,

I just stumbled upon this book on-line...and thought it might bless someone else. I am near tears merely reading the first few pages they sample on-line. It is always a torque to my psyche whenever I find anyone who understands, and this is the story of one man's self-discovery of his Asperger's Syndrome and how to accommodate for the more common idiosyncracies.

I remember a few years ago, some shill attacked me for describing my experience with Asperger's Syndrome...they were relentless. I'd like to request, if they are still around, that they run and jump into the nearest and deepest river! They were so unforgiving, and so hurtful...I cannot dredge deep enough to score any sympathy for them.

Cheers and more,
    John

Default Mozart and the Whale

Brush it off, John. There are more important things in life.

Hope this isn't too stereotypical. It's a great movie anyway. Imagine how great the world would be if everyone were absolutely honest.

Total duration 90 minutes:
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-21-12 at 10:02 PM.

I know, but as I explain to my very encouraging partner now...I've a lifetime of being misunderstood, teased, ridiculed, and worse. That's a lot of pent-up frustration.

And this person was relentless...going on and on about how there was no way I was in the same group as some young person they were related with...and how I should just be a good boy and take medications. It was quite harsh...and it was somebody who had to hide behind anonymity. They were obviously close enough in real life to encounter me in comfortable turf, when I am able to exit my shell.

But thanks, you are right. Tolerance is easier when the offender isn't actively poking and picking a sore spot. Maybe some day I'll even be able to forgive...funny how with most other experiences I find that nearly automatic.

Thanks for the links...I'd heard of that movie, but haven't seen it yet. Forgot the title.

I dug the book linked above, simply because they put the proper instructions on how to fold a shirt on the front cover. I just shared that procedure a week or so ago...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-22-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: (missed an s)

The Autism spectrum is so vast that no one has the right to tell someone that they don't fit into the same category as someone else. I have read just about every book on ASD and have completed my Master's degree in ASD and have taught MANY wonderful kids on the spectrum. Not one single kid was just like someone I read about or another kid I taught. That is what made that person special to me. I learned something new from each student on the spectrum. They taught me more than I could have possibly taught them! Each one of my non spectrum students have learned a great deal from having kids on the spectrum in my classes. You'd really be shocked at how accepting and giving so called "hood" kids can be!

It wasn't that long ago that kids on the spectrum [[and anyone else with special needs) were shut away in other classrooms and not given the opportunity to shine or to be with their peers. A few years ago, one of my students on the spectrum was voted as First Knight for Homecoming [[this is the coveted spot just under the King). He was voted in by his peers. He was elated. He won fair and square, too. He campaigned just like everyone else. The kids didn't vote for him to make him "feel" accepted. They voted for him because he WAS accepted. His logic for running for First Knight was a bit skewed [[he wanted to be a Knight like in the stories we were reading) but he won and was happy as a lark. He also participated in the talent shows and really came out of his shell. We, the adults, just sat back and watched it all unfold and it was really a beautiful thing. I think education for people who really don't understand the spectrum is key. The entire school culture was changed and the kids are the ones who changed it. They started expecting that ALL of the kids in the "special" classes start participating in activities. They made sure that the seniors from those classes [[mainly the ASD classrooms) were well aware of outings they had planned [[bowling, skating, etc) and made sure that the kids knew they were welcome to join in. They even arranged for rides for the kids, if their parents weren't able to get them to the activities. The kids on the spectrum threw down on the dance floor at prom and danced with just about every other kid there. None of this was done out of pity, either. It was all genuine.

Please be encouraged to know that there are people out here who ARE understanding and who don't believe to just medicate and deal with it. Know that there is a whole generation of kids who are making an effort to be understanding and who really do care and are working hard to break the cycle of feelings that you have experienced. I still keep in contact with the majority of the kids from those graduating classes. I couldn't be more proud of them...all of them. A couple of the kids attend the same schools as my kids on the spectrum. They are still carrying over that genuine caring that they had in high school and are great friends with each other,and continue to hang out together and have built a strong bond and friendship together.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; February-22-12 at 09:22 AM.

You really touched my heart with that story, 'Teach. Thanks. I am floored.

I have the opposite reaction to costumes...have enough difficulty with my given persona to take on any another!

Sincerely,
    John

Gannon: Thanks. What I see happen each day in my class with my spectrum and non spectrum kids is amazing and it touches my heart, too. Right now, we are reading Hamlet out loud, in class [[it's just much more fun that way). My student on the spectrum [[I only have one this year) loves to read the part of King Claudius. He is amazing at it, too. None of the other kids want to read that part [[I like to switch it up so everyone has an opportunity to read, if they so desire...I don't force anyone). I asked a few kids why this particular kid ALWAYS reads Claudius and whyb no one else chooses to read that part. They responded with, "well, who wants to follow him? He's amazing and we'd just screw it up." They also know he has a favorite desk and, despite possibly not having a seat themselves [[I'm a bit overcrowded in that particular class and seating is at a premium, first come first choice at seating), they refuse to sit in it so that he can sit there. It's really not special treatment, it's respect on their part. They realize he has his little quirks and are very understanding of those quirks.

Like I said, my kids teach me more than I can ever teach them.

Even though the seat location thing is treated like a running joke on that tv show, The Big Bang Theory, it is another of the little things which've plagued me forever. Imagine a young fella in a Parochial School uncomfortable with his seat, getting into trouble for moving it, or from it! By 8th grade, my first male teacher caught on, noticed I'd already completed the coursework for the year...as I did in 7th grade and got into trouble for THAT...and he allowed me to spend my days in the AV room doing one of the things I do best. Fixing mechanical and electrical devices!

He set the course for the rest of my professional life, and I never got the chance to thank him.

Two years later, another male teacher...honors geometry...didn't just yell at me for talking in class [[like everyone else did for ten years, if not worse, some of the nuns had special ways of enforcing their will upon us). He snuck up behind me to find out what was compelling me to share with everyone around my desk. Turns out I was understanding the stuff so quickly, and sensed the stress and anxiety of those who didn't 'get it' yet...and was showing them different approaches to the same solution!

I did get the chance to catch up with him and thank him.

I just told my girlfriend of this discussion...and completely broke down into a blubbering mess trying to get it all out...especially this last bit about the children saving that special seat and giving him room to shine in that role! I guess I've got some additional psyche clearing to attend to...apparently still have some pain hiding in the shadows of my memory that obviously affects how I relate today.

Cheers and more...it is a good day today.
    Last edited by Gannon; February-23-12 at 07:48 AM.

I really didn't mean for you to break down into a "blubbering mess"!! I would hope that it was a good blubbering mess I am so tuned in to kids on the spectrum that I can usually give them exactly what they need to be successful in my class. That, in turn, lets the other kids in class also help foster that success. Each of my kids on the spectrum had some quirks and we, as a class, always helped to accommodate those quirks. It's really a respect thing. Even non-spectrum kids have their quirks and we've just learned to adapt to everyone's quirks [[even mine). I think that having kids on the spectrum in gen ed classes was originally done to help foster the social aspect of the disorder. It's turned into so much more than that, at least in my classes. I can't speak for every gen ed teacher with kids on the spectrum in class. I am only speaking from MY experience but if my classes are any indicator of what is going on in other classes [[I can't imagine that just the kids in the 2 schools I've worked in are fostering friendships and the like with kids on the spectrum) then society is changing.

With the frequency of an ASD Dx on the rise, I would suspect that the school cultures are requiring a change for the better with education of those not on the spectrum as to what it is and that kids are kids, no matter what "label" we stick on them. I've seen it happen first hand and am so glad that kids are being more understanding and not as judgemental as they have in previous generations of kids who are unlike the "norm".

My student this year also races through class assignments. I allow him to work on the computer after his work is done. He perseverates on a few different things and is continually looking things up on the computer. He also loves to sing. If he asks, I allow him to go to the choir room [[the choir teacher is in agreement with this) so that he can sing. I am really sorry that you would get in trouble for moving your seat or for completing your work early. It just goes to show that times are changing and we are really better understanding what works best for our kids and not doing necessarily what the teacher wants at the moment. I can't imagine frustrating a kid like that.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; February-23-12 at 09:29 AM.

Oh, you didn't CAUSE it...you were merely the trigger allowing the release of many years of misunderstandings pent up inside.

As for the difference in schooling...I'm talking from 1969-81 in the same damn city block at a parochial school with roughly 180 children per grade in high school...but maybe 70 before that. A very isolated existence.

I was the rebel of my class. I often argued down authority and won against their worst rules...even if winning were merely checking out and going down to the gym to hang out with the lucky jocks who were the teachers aides down there!

Funny you mention singing. I was recognized early on for my voice...and was training with the varsity choir while still in 8th grade. We had a few really gifted children, and together we won some heavy competitions in the Catholic League...or came very close to knocking off the powerhouse parishes of priviledged people who usually won every year.

Cheers...I'm still singing...