Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ravine Guest

Default Get Yer Paczki Here!! Just Do It!!

The Nortown Bakery [[7531 E 7 Mile Rd, near Van Dyke) has the dynamite paczki!!

We stopped by, today, and the guy was already packin' paczki, and was looking at a full night of paczki prepping for purchase on Fat Tuesday.
    He has apple, lemon, custard, blueberry, cherry, raspberry, strawberry, prune, and maybe even one or two that I'm forgetting, and if you want some fabulous paczki and don't want to do the bit of standing in line outside of a Hamtramck bakery, this guy is Your Man.

He's a great guy, too, trying to keep on keepin' on despite facing the same tough times that everyone else is facing.

And, if you are willing to risk becoming slavishly addicted to a grain product other than alcohol, grab a loaf of this guy's bread. In fact, maybe grab two, because if you're as weak-willed as is your humble messenger, you're likely to wolf your way 1/3 of the way through one of the loaves on your way home.

Just think: you get to support a local business, one housed within the city limits, and stuff yer gaping maw with fabulous, drool-worthy poonchkie.
    It just has "WIN" all over it, like "GASM" or Roq's Screaming Yellow high-gloss.
    Last edited by Ravine; February-21-12 at 02:55 AM.

I've already got mine, but I'm going to stop in this place the next time I visit Mt. Olivet cemetery. You can't beat fresh quality bakery bread.

I waited for about 20 minutes yesterday at 5:00 pm at New Martha Washington in Hamtramck. NMW and New Palace are going to be crazy today.

Another good bakery that I've been going to recently is National Bakery on State Fair just West of I-75. They have fantastic croissants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

It just has "WIN" all over it, like "GASM" or Roq's Screaming Yellow high-gloss.
    Hey Now! I have noticed some of our finer Liquor/Lotto's are being painted a shade of mossy green. I highly approve.

Oh and some pics of the aforementioned yumminess:

Name:  paczki.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  39.8 KB

^Wow, those look good.
    IMO glazed are much better than powdered.

Is there anyone that actually likes prune Paczkis? I took a bite of one once and that was it for me. It felt like I was the victim of a cruel joke, yuck.

Never ever had one.

I'm about to go to Meijer, guess I'll just try theirs, if they have any left. I hate the crazy crowds on this day. They always come into work with stacks of boxes but people rush the table so I never bother. I'm off today so I'll see if I can finally try one from somewhere, see what all of the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Never ever had one.
    I'm about to go to Meijer, guess I'll just try theirs, if they have any left. I hate the crazy crowds on this day.
    The difference between Nortown pazckis and Meijer ones is like the difference between Grey Goose vodka and Five O'Clock.

I will guarantee you will not fight crowds at Nortown.

I'm off today so I'll see if I can finally try one from somewhere, see what all of the fuss is about.
    I've had one and I still don't know what the fuss is about.

Eat a few paczki and you're left wondering what's so great. Until you realize it's an excuse to take Tuesday off and day-drink your ass off at Suzy's bar.

I don't like them much... just bleach doey and some powdered suger on 'em too. Ick. But I do sorta like the plum filled ones! Sorta yummy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I've had one and I still don't know what the fuss is about.

Ok, first and foremost, my annual complaint to all the local TV and radio stations: Paczki is plural. Singular is Paczek [[Poonchek). Hearing Paczkies is like nails on a chalk board; its like saying donutses.

Second, old traditional flavors are only raspberry and prune though almost no one likes prune as others have said. A "paczek" filled with cream and covered in chocolate is really just a donut.

IMHO, the Hamtramck bakeries just aren't as good as they used to be when I was a kid and those were about the only ones available. I think it's because they get so much press/ attention that bakeries start well in advance [[hence buyng them on Fat Monday). Last time I had one, they seemed somewhat dried out and didn't have much filling.

A few years back, I discovered Heritage Bakery in Livonia [[5 Mile & Newburgh) . Okay not in the D but still quite a Polish community. I always bring paczki into the office and everyone raves about them as the best they've ever tasted. They dont feel as heavy and they're LOADED with very flavorful jelly to the point that I caution coworkers to not wear them. When I picked mine up this morning, the guy waitng on me recognized me as a regular customer so, rather than giving me some from on the trays, he filled my order from the kitchen and they were still WARM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Eat a few paczki and you're left wondering what's so great. Until you realize it's an excuse to take Tuesday off and day-drink your ass off at Suzy's bar.
    Yep. I got some from Meijer. It was just a round donut with jelly inside, lol. I got the glazed ones with raspberry filling. They may be more flavorful if I went to a bakery, but I bet they're still just round donuts with jelly inside. It was good, you can't really mess up a glazed donut with raspberry jelly! Now I've had one, I can cross that off my list, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    The Nortown Bakery [[7531 E 7 Mile Rd, near Van Dyke) has the dynamite paczki!!

We stopped by, today, and the guy was already packin' paczki, and was looking at a full night of paczki prepping for purchase on Fat Tuesday.
    He has apple, lemon, custard, blueberry, cherry, raspberry, strawberry, prune, and maybe even one or two that I'm forgetting, and if you want some fabulous paczki and don't want to do the bit of standing in line outside of a Hamtramck bakery, this guy is Your Man.

He's a great guy, too, trying to keep on keepin' on despite facing the same tough times that everyone else is facing.

And, if you are willing to risk becoming slavishly addicted to a grain product other than alcohol, grab a loaf of this guy's bread. In fact, maybe grab two, because if you're as weak-willed as is your humble messenger, you're likely to wolf your way 1/3 of the way through one of the loaves on your way home.

Just think: you get to support a local business, one housed within the city limits, and stuff yer gaping maw with fabulous, drool-worthy poonchkie.
    I am experiencing dejavu. I can't explain why, but I am.

Also Chene Modern bakery, on West Warren just east of the Southfield freeway

You can't just get them from Meijer. They taste much better when you get them from Hamtramck after standing in line for two hours with the temprature around 27 degrees.

Are they overhyped? Sure, but to me they're much more than a paczki or a donut. It's about my heritiage, it ushers in the begining of Lent and it brings back memories of my grandparents and my mother. That's what makes them great to me.

I actually stopped in at Nortown Bakery on my way to visit my two aunts in Hamtramck. They're the really deal, much better than the ones I got at Martha Washington. I told the gentleman that I was heading to Hamtramck and he told me to tell the people waiting in line to come to his place and get some real paczkis. If you're in Hamtramck today and want to get one of his paczkis just go over to Polish Village Cafe. He said he made around a 100 dozen for them over the last couple of days.

Na Zdrowie!

My wife picked a few up from Meijer and all we got is a jelly donut.

I'll take a German Bauerkrapfen any day.... made with real butter and with real jam.... not that food colored corn syrup filling that you find in a lot of places [[I won't disparage the true Polish ones though)...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9505992@N04/5445983064/

I only go to Polish owned bakery in the Polish Mecca called Hamtramck to buy a Paczki.

Ravine Guest

Sure, Danny, so go to the Polish Village Cafe. That way, you're going to a "Polish owned bakery in the Polish Mecca called Hamtramck" and you're still getting the Nortown guy's paczki.

GUSHI Guest

If I'm not mistaken aren't some of those bakeries in ham town , macodenian owned?

Ravine Guest

Hey, if folks want to insist on standing in line, in Hamtramck, to get the "genuine article," when the "genuine article" is a simple blob of dough infused with jelly or cream and then powdered or glazed, let 'em.
    I was just pointing the way to some really tasty simple blobs of dough infused with jelly or cream and then powdered or glazed.

Do the polish bakerys sell paczki's the day after?

I want to buy some, but no way im waiting in line in the cold.

^All the Polish bakeries that I know of sell them year round.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    If I'm not mistaken aren't some of those bakeries in ham town , macodenian owned?
    There was an article in the Hamtramck paper last year that stated that New Palace and the New Martha Washington are Serbian owned. The now closed New Deluxe was Macodonian.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    There was an article in the Hamtramck paper last year that stated that New Palace and the New Martha Washington are Serbian owned. The now closed New Deluxe was Macodonian.
    The owner of the aforementioned Nortown is Romanian. I know this because last time I went in there to buy bread, he looked at me incredulously and inquired whether I was Romanian. I told him I wasn't. He then said something to the effect that he thought only Romanians had the good taste to buy his bread. That guy's all right in my book.

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=2305 Here's a little story on Nortown Bakery.

stopped into the bakery across from deluca's restaraunt at inkster and warren [[old town bakery? cant remember name, cant find it in phone book/google). tried a prune one. not bad flavor, but i like prunes. the blueberry ones had lots of real blueberries in it. its been years since i've had filled doughnuts with any real fruit. custards were very nice. powdered , not glazed. i've had both and like both equally.

krogers Paczki and donuts are terrible. dont do it.

last year i called around town for bakeries and would get clueless bakers not knowing what Paczkis were. so thanks for posting some places that sell them. I know its an ethnic thing, but how can you not know that they sell a million of them on tuesday??

I have a student whose parents are from Poland, and last year she brought in some paczki her mother had made. While I enjoy the bakery ones, the homemade ones were amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast