Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Shoot-em-up Lifestyle Claims Another Small Child

DETROIT [[AP) – Authorities say a 9-month-old boy was killed when shots were fired into a Detroit home early Monday.

Detroit Police Sgt. Gary Diaz says the infant was pronounced dead at a hospital, not long after the 4:30 a.m. incident.

Diaz says shell casings have been found outside the home, and the shots could have been fired from a moving car. A witness told investigators a car sped away after the shooting.

No arrests have been made. Police have not elaborated further on the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...led/53165634/1

Hopefully the old farts on the Supreme Court will come to their senses someday and allow a beginning to an end of this nonsense.

There can never be a Top-Down solution to any problem. The issue is not the 2nd Amendment any more than gasoline cost is to the fact that this killing was a drive-by.

I'll bet ya that this killing had something to do with the amorphous concept of "disrespect ". Disrespect seems to be behind almost all of these senseless shootings.

I get so sick about hearing children dying over senseless bs, and as far as the respect crap goes it seems those who do the least to earn it expect it in spades, GROW UP.

Noble words, but ultimately useless. You can say 'grow up' all day but you're wasting your breath.

Thug life is easy and these people running around with guns have no desire to grow up. Why go to school or get a job or pay taxes or even speak and dress like a respectable human being? Drugs and guns and money and 'hos are so much easier.

And if someone has "disrespected" you, although odds are you don't even know what the word really means, just start shooting. If your target was hit, good. If not, whatever.... The message was sent. Oh, and if you ultimately get caught? No problem there either. Handslaps and bro-hugs all around once behind bars. Better to live in jail with a roof over your head and free meals than out on the streets.

And more police won't help. Unless you start going door to door, raiding every single home, and shaking down every person you see on the street, you'll never clear up the gun problem.

Not that doing such things would fly anyway. God forbid we should violate someone's rights in the hope of keeping an innocent child alive.

The problem is that they just do not care... And that problem just doesn't have a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    Thug life is easy and these people running around with guns have no desire to grow up. Why go to school or get a job or pay taxes or even speak and dress like a respectable human being? Drugs and guns and money and 'hos are so much easier.
    I pay taxes, gone [[and am still going) to school, and have a job. All this and I do carry a gun at times. I would bet that the vast majority of us fall into this category not the latter.

Regardless, it was very sad to wake up this morning and hear this news. I feel sometimes like im in the movie groundhog day because it seems like i wake up to the same sad news every day.

Why can 100,000 14-year-old kids have rifles in Michigan, yet none of them kills another person?

Go on believing guns are the problem.. pffttt...

Clearly it always comes back to the gun issue. If you wish to be a legal, gun carrying human being, with no malice or desire to shoot someone else and knows the difference between right and wrong, great. I'm all for it.

But you have to admit that a large percentage of the idiot thugs out there [[black or white....) with guns are certainly not legal.

It's not about guns, but the fools with no regard for human life pulling the triggers.

Say you're coming out of a store and some cop decides to ask for info and shake you down for weapons. If you produce a license, your record is clean, you're driving a nice SUV on your way to function at your kid's school, well then you just hear, "sorry, sir, but we just have to check these days..." and you're on your way.
    Next guy that walks out, whoa look here. An unlicensed weapon, a few crack vials and an arrest record a block long.

Who is more likely to go spraying bullets into some house and damn the consequences in that scenario?
    Unfortunately however that scene will never take place because of everyone yelling that if they decide to carry a gun, they shouldn't have to be hassled and it's a violation of their rights.

Well, too bad. It's time to play a little hardball. Anything that gets illegal guns and the losers who use them off the streets is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    Clearly it always comes back to the gun issue. If you wish to be a legal, gun carrying human being, with no malice or desire to shoot someone else and knows the difference between right and wrong, great. I'm all for it.

But you have to admit that a large percentage of the idiot thugs out there [[black or white....) with guns are certainly not legal.

It's not about guns, but the fools with no regard for human life pulling the triggers.

Say you're coming out of a store and some cop decides to ask for info and shake you down for weapons. If you produce a license, your record is clean, you're driving a nice SUV on your way to function at your kid's school, well then you just hear, "sorry, sir, but we just have to check these days..." and you're on your way.
    Next guy that walks out, whoa look here. An unlicensed weapon, a few crack vials and an arrest record a block long.

Who is more likely to go spraying bullets into some house and damn the consequences in that scenario?
    Unfortunately however that scene will never take place because of everyone yelling that if they decide to carry a gun, they shouldn't have to be hassled and it's a violation of their rights.

Well, too bad. It's time to play a little hardball. Anything that gets illegal guns and the losers who use them off the streets is fine with me.
    I am all for being checked to ensure that if I am carrying a weapon, that I am doing so legally. That being said, I would like the laws to be a bit more clear and sensable in doing so.

I will glady donate the first 20 rounds [[to the lawmen) towards efforts to remove the idiots from this planet.

Very sad to hear that an innocent child has lost his life over the selfish actions of a worthless piece of scum. Until these tragedies become a rarity the City of Detroit has no hope of coming back. How can anyone live happily in a place where things like this happen so often. People complain about the lack of dependable busing, but honestly if I had to endure crime like this in my neighborhood the only bus I would be looking for was the first Greyhound out of town....
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-20-12 at 03:25 PM.

In two articles it states this nine month was asleep on the couch as well as the articels stating that this was not the first deadly drive by this mother has dealt with. Now I know if he was in a crib he wouldn't have been much safer compared to an AK47, but the way a family chooses to, or was able to, provide for this child speaks volumes about this mother to properly raise and create a productive member of society. The lack of a crib [[a basic necesity for a child to make it through the infant and toddler stages of life) for the child was not provided by the mother, the family surrounding, or the community. If she couldn't provide a crib what else would she have not been able to provide?Take me to a family/community that is able to provide such basic necessities to their children and I think we would also find a lower crime rate. Whether or not this child was asleep in a crib can not directly predict it's life span, but it sure shows that this mother was not ready or able to raise this child including the fact she was unable to find a safe environment for the child. It also gives a glimpse into what a HUGE problem some of these young mothers and in general communities face to raise productive, healthy children. Add in the lack of a safe environment outside of the home then the results are disasterous.

Break this cycle of improperly raised children, from birth to young adults, and it would do a lot of good for the crime statistics. maybe this falls on top of the no shit list for some but I thought the thought beared mentioning.
    Last edited by adamjab19; February-20-12 at 04:12 PM.

Kevlar Kribs

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Break this cycle of improperly raised children, from birth to young adults, and it would do a lot of good for the crime statistics. maybe this falls on top of the no shit list for some but I thought the thought beared mentioning.
    I did not see the baby-daddy mentioned in the Freep's article.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Agreed, but how to you accomplish this without trampling all over the constitution?
    Orphanages or paying high risk people to not have kids until they've reach a certain standard of living? That cycle is killing this country and more specifically urban areas like Detroit.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post
    I did not see the baby-daddy mentioned in the Freep's article.
    So, nothing to add, outside of condescension with a touch of encoding?

I don't recall reading in the article that the mother could not provide a crib for the child. Providing a crib wasn't even a thought in our home, but that doesn't mean the kids may have slept outside of them. I can recall the kids falling asleep with me in my chair. And a couple times I just put the blanket over them and moved over to the couch. The wife would like to let them snuggle up to get comfortable in our bed. Either way the children had a crib.

Why would you even discuss the 9 month old victim's sleeping arrangement in this horrible event? While I agree that how children are being raised has a lot to do with a lot of the things we see going on today, I don't think its a money issue. For years and years children were raised in poor households and these types of incidents of gratuitious violence were not commonplace.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why would you even discuss the 9 month old victim's sleeping arrangement in this horrible event?
    Because this is a repeat of another episode where a tiny kid, who should have been asleep in a bedroom, was in harm's way and shot to death thanks to being asleep on a couch in the goddam front room, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Because this is a repeat of another episode where a tiny kid, who should have been asleep in a bedroom, was in harm's way and shot to death thanks to being asleep on a couch in the goddam front room, that's why.
    This is the attitude we need. People getting ANGRY and forgoing the political correctness that has been beaten into their heads for too long. Speak for what is right damned the consequences.

Very good!

There is a segment in Detroit that has a "thrid world" mentality. .Lawlesness and mayhem are ruling the streets of Detroit. The family of the deceased baby should tell the police everything they know including whether they were in a feud with someone. The animal who had done this will probably kill again.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012022...text|FRONTPAGE

What chance did this child have in life?

"Salter said there were eight people in the house, including three children, when the shooting took place."

"Salter added that she's no stranger to violence; she was inside her home at a different location years ago when a similar crime occurred: Someone started shooting at the house, and her sister, who was also inside, was killed."

"We know who they are," Godbee said. "This was not a random incident."

I feel sorry for her child that has survived. He has to grow up with this culture of violence that his mother is exposing him to.

Oh, and so you say its about poverty?

"A 12-year-old girl was killed Jan. 31 after shots were fired into her Detroit home. Police have said that shooting stemmed from a misunderstanding about a mobile phone."

It's about stupidity. I don't have the answer. But there is no reason to be sleeping with a baby on a couch in a tiny bungalow with 8 people, some with gang connections.

Why is this irresponsible person having children? They are not toys or badges of pride. Maybe they need to teach that in DPS.

I see this shit all the time. Losers hanging around shitty houses, usually squatting, nothing better to do but drink, get high, and start fights all day. Then it gets ugly and someone dies. In this case, an innocent. Again, I shudder to think what her other child has to grow up to experience.

The event is highly unfortunate and highlights that there is a segment of Detroit's population [[and of the world) that thrives on carnage and mayhem. There's simply no explanation for anything like this occurring. I will definitely pray for the family.

I would hope people wouldn't always jump to use events like this to try to prove their own positions on poor people having children, single women having children, guns ownership and other things. The child didn't die for that.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012022...text|FRONTPAGE

What chance did this child have in life?

"Salter said there were eight people in the house, including three children, when the shooting took place."

"Salter added that she's no stranger to violence; she was inside her home at a different location years ago when a similar crime occurred: Someone started shooting at the house, and her sister, who was also inside, was killed."

"We know who they are," Godbee said. "This was not a random incident."

I feel sorry for her child that has survived. He has to grow up with this culture of violence that his mother is exposing him to.

Oh, and so you say its about poverty?

"A 12-year-old girl was killed Jan. 31 after shots were fired into her Detroit home. Police have said that shooting stemmed from a misunderstanding about a mobile phone."

It's about stupidity. I don't have the answer. But there is no reason to be sleeping with a baby on a couch in a tiny bungalow with 8 people, some with gang connections.

Why is this irresponsible person having children? They are not toys or badges of pride. Maybe they need to teach that in DPS.

I see this shit all the time. Losers hanging around shitty houses, usually squatting, nothing better to do but drink, get high, and start fights all day. Then it gets ugly and someone dies. In this case, an innocent. Again, I shudder to think what her other child has to grow up to experience.
    If Godbee knows who they are [[Im assuming he means the shooter) Then his team of hard ass detectives should have them picked up - soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Put in harms way because he born into a family that has had previous exposures to violence? Maybe. Put in harms way because [[its rumored) someone in the household was involved in a drug fued? Quite possibly.
    A vehicle pulled up, 2 men exit and fired 30+ rounds into the home. Many of those could have just have easily pierced a bedroom wall. No question, the bedroom is where the child should have been sleeping but to imply that he was being put in harm's way because he was sleeping on the couch is a stretch. This wasn't local, but this young boy was shot while sleeping in his bed just a couple weeks ago. http://news.yahoo.com/video/losangel...-28173564.html

SteveJ Guest

I saw the video tonight. The house had bullet holes all over the place. Unless you were sleeping with a bullet proof vest on surrounded by sand bags, you were probably going to get killed. Loved how the victims wouldn't talk to the police. If they don't care, why should any of us.

Insanity.. I can't finish school fast enough.. I have to go.. I really have to go.. Another child murdered in the city, felled by a volley of over 30 bullets shot from automatic rifles aimed at the house ...The outright savagery is virtually unconscionable to me. I almost have no words..

...The perpetrators allegedly drove off at "normal" speed. They were apparently not fearful of police intervention. The van may well be burnt to a crisp by now to throw off suspicion.

...Approximately 41 homicides this year so far for Detroit.

... My impetus to leave is depressingly confirmed every week....I can't stress to young people enough, get your education. Don't settle for the streets. Fu*k the g*ddamn streets. The streets are a lie. In order to fight the power you have to be powerful. Knowledge is power. Being the king of the block/project-tenement/street is a hollow mockery and nothing less. You have people wearing Che' or Malcom X shirts selling crack, heroin, etc. "Stop Snitching" in the modern context has nothing to do with protecting genuine community leaders and activists, but to coddle thieves, rapists, drug-sellers, and killers...
    Last edited by Hypestyles; February-21-12 at 09:45 PM.

Hopefully the war on drugs and its consequences in Detroit will be fully recognized! It's not about a silly supreme court or "Justice", it's about reality

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast