Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Was Finney HS, might be Crockett, will be East English Village Prep?

Could someone please fill us in on the latest about Finney High? I saw a brief news item mentioning Det. schools to be closed, including Finney. Tried to find more details via Internet, but info seems fragmented and inconsistent. [[I did find this forum, though. )

Saw that demolition [[partial or full?) actually started last year, to replace it with a Crockett HS. Now there is to be more demo [[or not?) to build East English Village Prep Academy instead. Or, too? I’m hoping that someone closer to the situation, who has seen it unfold, can clarify.

In photos I saw of last year’s demo work, it looked as if they were working around the old powerhouse and original elementary bldg [[and Cannon Rec Ctr) that I attended, and concentrating on the '60s - '70s additions. I can imagine that the newer stuff was easier to knock down. Or did they / will they actually level it all?

[[I also attended Finney High for a short time, but not while in high school ... a story for a different post.)

Drove by the site last weekend...

The new building is at angle so that when you are driving along Cadieux towards Warren you see the main entrance straight on. That entrance is in front of where Cannon Rec Center front door was.

Sign said Finney-Crockett High School.

All the land on the north side of the property where the new high school building was is cleared.

Maybe the reference to the Finney "to be closed" is the temporary Finney on Marlborough - what used to be Jackson middle school?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe the reference to the Finney "to be closed" is the temporary Finney on Marlborough - what used to be Jackson middle school?
    Wow, that's a wrinkle I was unaware of. Thanks, you may be right. Shows that it can be tough to sort these things out from a distance.

I wonder where this EEV Prep Academy is to be placed. Marlborough is a ways west of East English Village [[which I never heard called by that name when growing up there in the 1950s, BTW.)

So I'm assuming they're closing the Crockett High School on St. Cyril and Georgia, correct?

It was decided that the new name for the school will be East English Villiage Prep and not Finney nor Crockett.
    Last edited by getmoore; February-19-12 at 06:34 PM.

Andrew Jackson Intermediate School [[I went there 1951-1953).

Correct. That is the news we heard in the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So I'm assuming they're closing the Crockett High School on St. Cyril and Georgia, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Correct. That is the news we heard in the trenches.
    It makes sense, more or less.

The neighborhood Crockett served was obliterated over 10-20 years ago. I'm sort of surprised they haven't closed it sooner.

It also used to be McNair Middle School [[that's what it was before it closed a few years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It also used to be McNair Middle School [[that's what it was before it closed a few years ago).
    Yes, President Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, once revered in Detroit as the founder of the modern Democratic Party, has become politically incorrect and the school was renamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yes, President Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, once revered in Detroit as the founder of the modern Democratic Party, has become politically incorrect and the school was renamed.
    Huh??

Maybe word of this hasn't gotten out to the Democratic folks holding the annual Jefferson-Jackson dinner on April 28....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Huh??

Maybe word of this hasn't gotten out to the Democratic folks holding the annual Jefferson-Jackson dinner on April 28....
    Well, it seems that old Andy was a murderer [[killed a guy in a duel), stomped hell out of the Indians in Florida, kept slaves, and was responsible for the Trail of Tears removal of the Indians from the southeastern states.

The PC types just haven't gotten to the party strong enough yet to have the dinner renamed.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    It was decided that the new name for the school will be East English Villiage Prep and not Finney nor Crockett.
    With no consultation or even notification to the residents or East English Village neighborhood association, either, I might add...and it isn't even located in EEV.

not sure when they changed the official name from Finney-Crocket, but this page on the DPS website details the changes going on with both old schools... but as MikeM stated, the announcement of Finney closing was in relation to the "newer" location inside the old middle school, Finney hasn't operated out of the Cadieux/Warren building in about 3-4 years.

http://detroitk12.org/content/achievement/