Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default So - it's DTV day! Did anyone pick up any new channels they didn't get before?

I promise, I did look, so my apologies if this is a duplicate thread.

I rescanned my converter box and -------nothing. Just the same 16 channels I had before. I was really hoping something new would show up.

I'm near 8 and Dequindre - what should I be getting in this area?

Uh, what exactly were you expecting?

All they did was eliminate the use of an antenna [[analog signal).
    Last edited by 313WX; June-12-09 at 12:58 PM.

I wasn't EXPECTING anything, but was hoping that if some station was going digital that I was not picking up before with only an antenna, that maybe I could pick it up with the box. I don't think that's too far fetched.

Channel 7 news reports that their channel is now offering three feeds.
    One, regular programming. Another, featuring vintage TVand a third, 24 hour live weather forecast.
    Channels 7.1, 7.2, 7.3....
    I still have cable for one more month.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Channel 7 news reports that their channel is now offering three feeds.
    One, regular programming. Another, featuring vintage TVand a third, 24 hour live weather forecast.
    Channels 7.1, 7.2, 7.3....
    I still have cable for one more month.
    I keep meaning to check out 7.2 but I never get around to it [[probably because I so rarely watch live TV any more, thanks to MythTV.) Every time I notice it in the channel guide it's showing reruns of all the old TV shows I grew up on like The Incredible Hulk and Knight Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Uh, what exactly were you expecting?

All they did was eliminate the use of an antenna [[analog signal).
    It's conceivable that some people might start getting channels they previously did not get. A lot of stations were running the digital transmissions at low power for various reasons, such as lack of sufficient electrical power for both transmitters to run full power, or because the digital antenna was occupying a suboptimal position until the analog antenna could be removed from service.

Everyone who does not have cable or satellite or new digital TV set MUST buy UHF and VHF digital converter box right away. When the analogue signal goes out, your will not see your favorite local programming.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

So long analogue broadcast. Thanks for 70 years of media memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So long analogue broadcast. Thanks for 70 years of media memories.
    Yes I will miss thee dear analog. You're right up there with the tin water cups at Sanders, seeing Santa at Hudson's or Crowley's, and Boblo. I miss my slide rule too.

At least analog was still watchable when the signal was weak, unlike digital which simply cuts out.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    At least analog was still watchable when the signal was weak, unlike digital which simply cuts out.
    And don't get me started on that pixilation!

I miss my Atari 400 and Suede Puma sneakers.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yes I will miss thee dear analog. You're right up there with the tin water cups at Sanders, seeing Santa at Hudson's or Crowley's, and Boblo. I miss my slide rule too.

I have one digital television [[HD) without cable, the rest have cable. On the one without cable, I was able to get all the channels, including the extras and the HD channels coming in very clearly. Today, I rescanned and cannot get WJBK. WDIV channels are coming in weakly. I am in Detroit, so I am surprised.

lilpup Guest

Did you get the digital converter only or a digital antenna to go with it? The powers that be were warning some people will need a new digital antenna, too.

I put some tinfoil on the rabbit ears of my dad's old Philco and got this.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/tail.wmv

haven't made the switch and am in no real hurry. I'll have to get my news from Danny.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Now that analog is kaput, my old Predicta is picking up signals that were broadcast from the nearest star systems years ago. Looking forward to the real Miss Universe pageant. Those Grays from Zeta Reticuli have some out of this world sit-coms. " Leave it to Zornex" rules!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    haven't made the switch and am in no real hurry. I'll have to get my news from Danny.
    Or the CBC. Canadian TV will still be analog until 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Did you get the digital converter only or a digital antenna to go with it? The powers that be were warning some people will need a new digital antenna, too.
    The television is a HD Digital Television, no converter needed. It is portable and I purchased it about 4 months ago because I knew the old portables would be worthless now and I wanted something for emergencies. Before today, I was picking up all the digital channels whether I was in Detroit or surrounding suburbs. When the conversion took place today, I rescanned as they instructed, because WJBK did say they were moving their channels. Now I can pick up WDIV, WXYZ and the others, but no WJBK.

Someone I know with a converter was doing fine too until 8:58. They rescanned channels and no more WJBK or WDIV. I'm going to try it in some other locations tomorrow. Gotta get back to the Red Wings right now

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Today, I rescanned and cannot get WJBK. WDIV channels are coming in weakly. I am in Detroit, so I am surprised.
    Also in same boat in Detroit.

my parents lost Fox2 [[WJBK?) but gained 42 [[canadian) on one of their tvs, that they didnt get before...

it might have been 'jammed' because of an adjacent signal...

Move your antenna around. On some channels, moving it just a few degrees makes a huge difference in signal strength.

I just fear the broadcast digital infrastructure is not ready for prime time. They don't seem to have the infrastructure in place to get the signals to all the places where the analog signals were going, with the strength needed, consistently.

When cell phones were first introduced, coverage had to be gradually built out. But no one made you give up your land lines. I feel like we had to give up the analog bands before the digital infrastructure was built out as it should be. I know all the reasoning and rationale behind it, but I think people without cable/satellite service are going to experience very inconsistent tv service for a while.

I think the real motivation for this was the fact the FCC raised 20 billion dollars selling the old analog frequencies. If your near hills or tall buildings digital sucks. We're having major problems down here because of the mountains so for now they've left the analog low power translators on. Otherwise we would get no digital television

It's conceivable that some people might start getting channels they previously did not get. A lot of stations were running the digital transmissions at low power for various reasons, such as lack of sufficient electrical power for both transmitters to run full power, or because the digital antenna was occupying a suboptimal position until the analog antenna could be removed from service.
    I've always been suspect of the power output of the local stations under optimal conditions until now. Some days they they're strong, other days, no signal. Oh well, so long channnel 50, your advertisers don't count anymore. I hope you choke on the action you have used so far. Every other channel I've had no problem with.
    So far, I've had no problems other than channel 50. I don't even try anymore. Advertisers ?

I am also in Detroit, 8 mile and Woodward. Have all channels plus ch 56.1.56.2and 56.3.
    Bur I had to scan several times. I am still getting pixtellating, guess that's the word, but have been having the same on my Comcast cable for months now.

Has anyne had the same problem, in our area several poeple are having problems with picture distortion with Comcast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast