Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Food Prices 'Jumps' Have YOU NOTED LATELY?

Inflation has impacted food prices greatly. Some prices fluctuate, others just continue an upward trajectory! Box cereal has soared over the last 10 years, or the prices has gone down but the box is SMALLER... the two things I've noted that have gone up super high are:

Haagen Daz Ice Cream [[small size): $5.59
    at CVS and other places. Wow the price jumped fast on this specialty item.

Green Bell Peppers: as high as $3.99
    'each' at Krogers and some of the specialty markets. Of course produce spots or vendors like eastern market beat this handsdown, but why are they so high in some cases?

What item[[s) have you noticed a price spike in?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-12 at 10:33 AM.

Strange you should post this as I was commenting on food prices last night. I needed some unsalted butter and the Land O' Lakes brand was $4.19 a lb? Yikes!

Incredible! I was looking to purchase some Idaho potato flakes recently and a small box was $3.49! How expensive can flaked potatoes be? The only edge is to shop around and incorporate fruit market shopping to avoid the astronomical chain store produce rates.... or lack of produce all together in many Detroit grocery stores......
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-12 at 10:33 AM.

Most food prices are based on pretty fundemental economics. You need to condiser supply/demand and transport costs. Food costs will go up and down. One thing that really impacts the cost of food is the cost of fuel as food is shipped. We have seen some upwards trending in fuel costs due to the scare in Iraq.

If you're eating Haagen Daz ice cream why are you concerned about the cost of it? Haagen Daz is not locally produced so it will be higher due to transport costs. It is also not a huge seller so it gets shipped in smaller quantities, this also impacts transport costs. There are much lower priced alternatives out there that are made in the State and keep jobs here. Lower transportation costs to boot. Consider brands such as Hudsonville, Strohs, or Gurnsey.

Peppers are a commodity that are traded internationally. In order to get fresh peppers at this time of year they must be transported in from far away places that are having summer seasons. The cost will go down when the transport costs go down.

In short support the companies that make stuff closest to you.

Everything.

I try to buy all my groceries at the Eastern Market. If you go down there at about 3:30 pm on any Saturday afternoon they are practically giving vegetables away. I bought a box of green beans for a dollar, a bag of peppers for fifty cents, a box of tomatoes for a dollar. I don't need large quanities so I take neighbors or friends and we buy a bunch of stuff them split everything up when we're done shopping. I have a freezer so I'm able to store enough for a couple of weeks. I don't eat meat or dairy but there are places to get those things there too.

Re local food prices: I buy basic ground beef as an ingredient in wholesome dog food. Last year a market in Mexicantown sold GB in a family pack at $1.49 lb. It was on sale on January 28, 2011 for $1.29 lb. [[I keep notes in my iphone).

Now the same market is selling that product for $2.29 lb. However, in one or another market, I can find it for $1.99 lb on sale.

I find that the ethnic markets have very good prices and nicelysurprising ingredients. I needed horshradish and wanted to grate a horseradish root. There it was in La Guadalupana market on Michigan Ave. A bunch of fresh tulips is $7 at Eastern Market on Saturday. At a market in Mexicantown, they are $5 and also very fresh.

Really, the very best food advice for anyone to learn is: pretty much everything goes on sale about every three mos. So stock up. Wrap butter boxes in foil [[to keep sweet-smelling) and store in the freezer. Land/Lakes butter is on sale before Christmas and also in the Spring to catch the bakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Inflation has impacted food prices greatly. Some prices fluctuate, others just continue an upward trajectory! Box cereal has soared over the last 10 years, or the prices has gone down but the box is SMALLER... the two things I've noted that have gone up super high are:

Haagen Daz Ice Cream [[small size): $5.59
    at CVS and other places. Wow the price jumped fast on this specialty item.

Green Bell Peppers: as high as $3.99
    'each' at Krogers and some of the specialty markets. Of course produce spots or vendors like eastern market beat this handsdown, but why are they so high in some cases?

What item[[s) have you noticed a price spike in?
    Zacha341... I think you might have gotten your wires crossed on the green bell peppers at Kroger's. At Nino Salvaggio's [[a more upmarket store), they sell the more expensive red peppers for only $1.99 per pound this week.

But yes... prices are rising generally...

Food at restaurants has gone up too. I can view my debit card statements as far back as three years and sort by business. The cost of a combo meal at places like Chipotle, potbelly,etc have gone up a dollar. That's a lot in 3 years to go up 10-15%

Sorry, Charlie, but cans of tuna have gone up in price as the cans get smaller.

The cost of instant Folgers coffee has been percolating too.

Remember that ending the item pricing law was going to save the grocery stores money which would translate into lower prices. Whoops, where did that money go?

Oh he we go [[smile)! I knew the 'explain' why you eat Haagen Daz was coming........ for the trivia of I will EXPLAIN: First off I 'rarely' eat any ice cream, however over the last 25 or so years HD was a once-in-a-while treat as it has always been expensive compared to other brands....

When I do eat the stuff I want it to be less chemically ladened then a can of house paint! And most cheaper brands of ice cream contain a host of fillers and additives.

Specific to HD I noted a dollar jump in 6 months! I've moved on to another brand unless I can catch it on sale.

And yes, I am considering all of the things you state. My post is not one of being 'incredulous' per se. It is to compare and see what others are observing and factor in the reasons. Thank you for your input. Indeed cost is effected by many factors.

BTW, quality ice cream lovers Trader Jones has some affordably priced selections. Well for now anyway....
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you're eating Haagen Daz ice cream why are you concerned about the cost of it? Haagen Daz is not locally produced so it will be higher due to transport costs. It is also not a huge seller so it gets shipped in smaller quantities, this also impacts transport costs. There are much lower priced alternatives out there that are made in the State and keep jobs here. Lower transportation costs to boot. Consider brands such as Hudsonville, Strohs, or Gurnsey.

Peppers are a commodity that are traded internationally. In order to get fresh peppers at this time of year they must be transported in from far away places that are having summer seasons. The cost will go down when the transport costs go down.

Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-12 at 04:24 PM.

I just don't buy much of Krogers produce since it is high even during in season times for a particular variety. Their bananas are usually a bargain though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Zacha341... I think you might have gotten your wires crossed on the green bell peppers at Kroger's. At Nino Salvaggio's [[a more upmarket store), they sell the more expensive red peppers for only $1.99 per pound this week.

But yes... prices are rising generally...

Yeah, that's the deal. You're getting less, packaging is smaller. If you have a large family you notice. If not it is less of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Sorry, Charlie, but cans of tuna have gone up in price as the cans get smaller.

The cost of instant Folgers coffee has been percolating too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Well I try to at every opportunity but I'm not so sure being closer makes them cheaper. I buy Pioneer Sugar which is always more than the store brand [[Meijers)

Yeah, I've been doing that with produce for a while. No need to get an apple from the moon when Michigan is an apple orchard. Still some thing are not an option locally and as you point out some are not cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Well I try to at every opportunity but I'm not so sure being closer makes them cheaper. I buy Pioneer Sugar which is always more than the store brand [[Meijers)

the $.69 for a 2L of Faygo is officially a myth now. havent seen it under $1 since 2005.

Bread prices have jumped.

kroger used to be cheaper than busch's/hillers but now its all about the same. i think meijer stopped competing with them too.

As 313WX said everything's gone up&continues to climb. It might be easier for us to list things that haven't gone up rather those that have.
    As for 2 liter Faygo I see it on sale from time to time for .89-.99 cents at a store in the city proper&a couple in the suburbs. I try not to drink soda often but when I see Faygo on sale I'll stock up to have it on hand for those "I NEED A SODA!!!" cravings lol.

A wise women once told me, if you want to eat healthy you going to spend more for your food then somebody who has a shopping cart loaded with junk food.

There are much lower priced alternatives out there that are made in the State and keep jobs here. Lower transportation costs to boot. Consider brands such as Hudsonville, Strohs, or Gurnsey.

I think Strohs is now made in Ohio. Calders is also a good one made here, but alas, not cheap.

SteveJ Guest

Ice cream for sure. I remember they used to be a half gallon and would go on sale for 2 for $4, now its on sale 3.99 for one and its smaller to boot. Non sale price is 5.99

Lunch meats. When did Ham and Turkey become a premium meat commanding $7 and up a pound. And its not premium stores like Holiday, its Meijer. I agree with the person above, all the stores are becoming the same. Meijer and the small stores have similar prices now. The only store that I think is cheap still is Trader Joes but you really need to take a look at the label. I noticed some of their stuff is made in some 3rd world countries. No thanks.

GUSHI Guest

Meat, cheese, bread, vegetables, fruits, all lunchmeat, cereal,cereal bars, ice cream, eggs, soda

I was going to the flea market at 6 and Vandyke three years ago.
    I got a large wheel of imported Swiss for 15 bucks it was like 500 dollars worth of cheese
    They thought they were selling stolen stuff and no more flea market.
    Were are you cheese man?.
    Last edited by black gold man; February-19-12 at 10:35 PM.

I mentioned this recently on another thread, but those of you who think that ALDI's sells lower quality or "dollar store" type quality merchandise.... you are very much mistaken....

Aldi's is a German grocery chain, and they keep their prices low by providing very few frills. I used to travel to Germany frequently in the 1980s and 1990s when my older relatives living there were still alive... and they had Aldi's all over Germany. In fact most German supermarkets look like Aldi's... the non-perishable food is stored in cases on the floor, and you have to supply your own bags or use their boxes to package your groceries.

I stop by there weekly, and get USA paper towel rolls [[65 cents), 200 count tissues [[$1.19), celery $1, bananas 44 cents per pound, and other items.

Theiir chocolate and cookies are often imported from Germany, but they carry a lot of off brand name products made here in the USA. Theiir Germany produced "Deutsche Küche" frozen food cakes and pastires are very tasty, as are their USA "Belmont" brand frozen pies.

1 gallon of milk is $1.99, and a dozen LARGE eggs are $1.48. If you're price conscious, then you should give them a try. They may be German owned, but they do sell a lot of USA made products.

And I have yet to find anything edible sold there that was made in China!!

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    As 313WX said everything's gone up&continues to climb. It might be easier for us to list things that haven't gone up rather those that have.
    As for 2 liter Faygo I see it on sale from time to time for .89-.99 cents at a store in the city proper&a couple in the suburbs. I try not to drink soda often but when I see Faygo on sale I'll stock up to have it on hand for those "I NEED A SODA!!!" cravings lol.
    Are you from here? We don't call it soda. It's pop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast