Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Northshore Suburbs [[Phone Photos)

My buddies and I decided to hit up some bars with Mardi Gras specials starting this weekend. We began by going all the way up in Chicago's Northshore suburbs and working our way back home downtown Chicago. Metra trains, Pace buses, and CTA were our transportation. I used my cell phone to take these photos

The Chicago suburbs flaunt their wealth with who has the best train station. I think Glencoe's is the best, but Higland Park has the most seameless transfer to the suburban bus system

Around the train station HP has some amazing homes

Here's downtown Highland Park

I think this is city hall

Stopped to get some Falafel in Wilmette . The owner was nice to give us some free Shawarma also. Seriously best I ever had. I recommended they open a location in the City.

Let's take a trip south to Evanston, Davis Station

Evanston has allowed buildings of a certain height, but have unfortunately opposed some recent highrise stuff.

Former Marshall Fields department stores are clearly identifiable by their architecture

One of these buildings was supposed to be sacrificed for a skyscraper, but was denied because it was too tall. I believe around 40+ stories. Evanston seems to be perfectly happy with buildings around the 25 story range.

Sherman plaza was finished in '06 I think. If you go up to the top of the parking garage, you can actually see the Chicago skyline way off in the distance.

A purple line CTA train pulls in to Davis Station, parallel to the Metra Rail tracks. If you head to any Northshore cities or Wisconsin, this is the best place to transfer from intercity Chicago rail.

Baha'i Temple

Cool alleyway in Evanston

Boarding a purple line CTA back into the City. The first car was ovecrowded so we moved to the second, not a single person!

Got off at Uptown for some tacos

Fat Cat bar in Uptown Chicago

Uptown Chicago

Aragon with some signage problems. Despite that Uptown is 8 miles north of Chicago loop, it has a hell of a lot of theaters.

Southport Area

That was it for photos for the night, hope you all enjoyed.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-19-12 at 04:27 AM.

Really nice photos. Your second pic reminds me of the MARTA in Atlanta -- great transportation system there too.

I would love to be able to hop a train, walk a few blocks and be where I need to be.

Nice pics Wolverine... that is a nice part of Chicago... very well maintained..... BUT... the gem of that district is the Uptown Theatre.... at 4,381 seats, Chicago's largest movie palace. And it's been sitting empty and deteriorating for over 30 years.... sad really....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hborhood-jewel

Thanks for the pics wolverine, Chicagoland has a helluva lot of depth.

Nice! I want to go out with you guys, looks like a ton of fun.

Once again Wolverine, a great bunch of photos.

Terrific Wolverine. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks all for the comments. I was hoping to follow up with another trip the next day, but I was exhausted. For just $7, you can ride the train anywhere you want all over the metro for an entire weekend.

Gistok, I hope to see the Uptown renovated eventually. I believe the city plans to assist the owner in restoring it. I should email the Alderman asking if any progress has been made in securing funding. It's likely eligible for quite a bit in TIF funds and reopening it would be a boon to the Uptown neighborhood.

It's been a full 30 years of abandonment. Here's a recent photo. It's in rough condition, but certainly salvageable.

http://absurdlakefront.tumblr.com/po...ter-chicago-il

Here are some urban exploration photos. The lobby seems to be faring well
    http://www.undercity.org/Chicago_Upt...ERY/index.html
    Last edited by wolverine; February-27-12 at 01:41 AM.

Wolverine, the Uptown was Chicago Movie Palace architects Rapp & Rapp [[also architects of the former Michigan Theatre) one of only 2 commissions they did that were not French in design [[the other being the Oriental... now Ford Center for the Performing Arts). The Uptown has a Spanish Renaissance design, and developers Balaban & Katz told Rapp & Rapp to leave patrons awestruck in designing it...

Some theatre critics say that its' lobbies have an unforunate resemblance to overdecorated railroad concourses laid end to end... but I think it is beautiful. At 4,381 seats, it was Rapp & Rapp's largest theatre commission ever, and surprisingly larger than the downtown palaces [[their Chicago Theatre had only 3,800 seats).

If truth be told the Uptown is as large as the Detroit Fox. Major difference is that because the balcony sits so far back from the stage [[known as a shelf balcony), it reduced the total seating by hundreds of seats [[5,174 for the Fox versus 4,381 for the Uptown).

But what I don't understand is the estimated cost of restoring the Uptown.... $70 million. That seems very excessive. Granted the Detroit Fox's $12 restoration [[in 1988 dollars) didn't have any damaged plasterwork, as the Updown does in some areas.... it just seems like a lot of money for a theatre still in relative good condition.

When they restored the Grand Circus to the Detroit Opera House at $42 million, half of that was to replace everything behind the procenium arch with a massive addition for Opera. But the Grand Circus was totally trashed, and they had to replace 90% of the plasterwork [[again this is 1996 dollars). I don't think that more than 10-15% of the Uptowns plasterwork is damaged, but then there's the mechanical.... perhaps a new stagehouse and powerplant may need replacing if not used in 30 years... but the Uptown has an interior on such a grand scale... that comparables are only found in the Fox and at Radio City...

Thanks for the pics!

UPTOWN RENOVATION FINANCING MAY BE IN PLACE BY 2013

Expedited construction schedule for opening in 2015. Expected cost, $63 million.

From Uptown Update by way of CurbedChicago
    http://www.uptownupdate.com/2012/03/...enovation.html

This is really great news. I'm going to guess that TIF funding from the city will be a big piece of the puzzle. It's in the mayor's interest to get this building restored.

This should go nicely with completely rebuilt Wilson Station...long enough to replace the Lawrence station, but still have entrances to Lawrence Ave

in other good news...Lawrence House has gone into foreclosure. Foreclosures are rarely good news, but this building has been left to decay and rot away by negligent owners. Getting this building sold to a reputable developer could rehab it into a signature property.
    http://www.uptownupdate.com/2012/03/...=1332781657806

Hopefully it will see a second life. As you can see in this post. It's in terrible shape and looks almost demo-ready
    http://www.uptownupdate.com/2011/06/...nce-house.html

Lot's of great news and big money projects for the outer neighborhoods. It's good to see not all the focus is on downtown and near neighborhoods
    Last edited by wolverine; March-26-12 at 09:25 PM.