Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remembering Alice... WSU 1967

One Saturday morning, when I was in college [[Fall of 1967), I drove down to campus because I heard that Robert F Kennedy was going to be in town, making a brief stop. During the many hours that I waited, I met and shared the time with another student named, Alice. My name is Allan and I wondered if anyone ever called her Al [[like they did me)? She said, yes... we talked and talked.

When I was ready to give up, thinking RFK was not coming, I had an idea: to call the local newspaper and ask them... I did just that and they told me he was in town - just running late. As I walked out of the store, heading across the street to tell Alice what I had learned, we were both moved by the push of the huge crowd - we had no choice but to go with the flow. We were pushed right up to the car containing RFK. He was standing in a convertible speaking to us.

Alice was shorter than I and couldn't see or touch RFK. I lifted her up in front of me so that she had a great view and could shake hands with him...... In just a few minutes, he was finished talking and the car began to move away... he was gone. We spent the rest of the day together, went for coffee / hot chocolate... I walked her to the parking structure - it felt like we were very close... We said goodbye and as I was driving home, I realized that I had not asked for her phone number! I knew her first name, what street she lived on [[Outer Drive) and that she was a student at WSU in Detroit.

A few months later, RFK was killed and I would have given ANYTHING to be able to talk with her, again. I have never forgotten her and although we would be in our 60's, now, it would mean so much to see her again. In fact, I am writing all this in hopes she or someone she knows will read it. ANYONE that is a close friend of Alice's, no doubt has heard this story...
    Last edited by ajkrueger; February-19-12 at 11:51 AM.

Welcome to the forum, Al. Great story. Great first post. I hope you find Al. If you do, be sure to tell us!

What street did she live on?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    What street did she live on?
    Outer Drive

Great story. I hope you find Al. Wouldnt be surprised at all if you found her through Dyes. Make sure to keep us updated.

What a story! It's possible to find her though, with Facebook and such. I have found an old friend of my mother's...they hadn't talked since the early 80s, so don't give up hope!

Facebook would be a great idea if I had her last name! On DetroitYES, this post is buried ... I was hopeful at first... but...

Here's a link to the Wayne State University Alumni Association. http://wayne.edu/contact/alumni.php

There is a search function but it looks like it's only for current staff and students. Try the phone number and see if you can get some information.

As mentioned on another thread, maybe you could find an old yearbook at John King Books [[if one was published.)

Good luck!

Kelton

Do you know when she planned to graduate or what year she was in or what she was majoring in? I have an alumni book and a CD at home, and I can check it out when I get back next week some time.

My guess [[and it is only that) is that she would have graduated between 1969 and 1972. As I recall, Alice was attending days and I was going at night - it took me over 10 years to graduate! It's funny, if a database of students existed, there would probably only have been 100 or so girls named Alice in the entire decade. The last time that I got enthused about looking for her, I called WSU and was told none of the information from that era was digitized and it would be impossible to search by first name or... I have looked on Classmates... Honestly, I can't stand Classmates! Any port in a storm, though!

If you could take a look in your alumni book, that would be fantastic!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alice-mason/7/43b/741

This is such a great story -- I started googling because I want you to find Alice! Maybe this is her?

You know, after looking at her picture for several minutes, I think you may have found her [[the one on the left)!

Name:  AliceMason.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  12.5 KB

Reading this over tells me that she is the same kind of person that I met all of those years ago - kind, gentle, caring, on the short side...

http://www.maconnews.com/news/commun...-a-clean-slate

I am going to call the number in the article. It won't take me more than a couple minutes to determine if it is her! I am going to wait until tomorrow, so I can think through what I am going to say...

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by ajkrueger; March-06-12 at 02:59 PM.

Hey, let us know what happens!

I can hardly stand it! Did you call her?

It wasn't possible for me to call her yesterday and I won't be able to sit down and do it until tomorrow. I will post an update as soon as I have attempted to call her, regardless of the result. I know it seems crazy that I didn't do it immediately, but, I believe it is her and I want to make the contact as good as it can be!

Tune in tomorrow, same posting, for an update!

Name:  fingers crossed.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  4.7 KB

"Please oh please oh please oh please..."

Quote Originally Posted by thatsmykid View Post
    Name:  fingers crossed.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  4.7 KB

"Please oh please oh please oh please..."
    You know, thatsmykid, your googling may be the key to the success of this mission!

I hope it's her. Actually, she looks familiar. I worked at WSU beginning in 1975 and maybe she stuck around for a while.

Well????? :d

??????????????????

Oh, my, I hope she didn't hang up on you.

Sorry for the delayed response I called Alice and had a nice chat - she was making soup at the time... and told me how busy she has been in the past few weeks.......

Although she was attending WSU during the same period, I am sad to report that she is not my Alice!

If you think you are disappointed, imagine how I feel... How could someone with so many co-incidences not be her? LOL.

Well, back to the drawing board! I welcome any ideas or help from all.

THANK YOU for your support and interest!

OK, once I get these grants read, I will go into the WSU alumni CD, if I can find it.

Oh darn -- she just LOOKED right! Any fleeting recollection of what your Alice was studying at WSU?

Heavy sigh.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast