Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Vernor's "overrated"?

Strange diss in an anti-Romney piece, basically Roney is from but not of-sorta like how H. Ross Perot & Bush #41 got in a Texas-size peeing match

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6526022.story

Know many around the "D" who daily drink Coke, Pepsi or even Mt Dew......but ask yourself, how many do you know that have a daily habit of slugging down Vernor's? Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Vernor's & the Detroit history & memorabilia, but.....

Also, didn't know Vernor's was sold in Bloomfield Hills back in the day
    Last edited by Smirnoff; February-18-12 at 08:58 AM.

Vernors is not over rated.

Romney is not his daddy.

Romney is trying to embrace Michigan, but up until recently he did not realize the home he grew up in was in such ruins that it was torn down. Unfortunately this is an experience that many of us living in this state or the City have experienced. If he was a Michigander he would have known that sometimes the business cycles of the auto industry dip so deep that the only answer is to shrink it to make it stronger. His dad knew this by merging Nash, Hudson, Jeep, and Kalvinator.

Poor Mitt. He is homeless and does not even realize it. The homeless billionaire!

Vernors is no longer from here. Faygo is.

So, I drink the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Vernor's is no longer from here. Faygo is.

So, I drink the latter.
    Vernor's will always be FROM here!

It just got hijacked by the world. Kinda like Mitt Romney and his cooperate takeovers.

Vernors is too sweet. I prefer Schwepes or Seagram's [[ginger ale).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Vernors is not over rated.

His dad knew this by merging Nash, Hudson, Jeep, and Kalvinator.
    George Romney's predecessor at Nash-Kelvinator, George Mason was the one who merged with Hudson. Mason had a dream of creating a "big four" of auto companies. The scheme was for Nash to acquire Hudson and John Nance to acquire Packard and Studebaker. Then Mason would acquire the combined Studebaker and Packard to form a large American Motors.

There was a hitch to all of this. Hudson, Studebaker, and Packard had worn out factories that were functionally obsolete and no money for new investment. The second hitch was that George Mason died in October 1954 and was succeeded by George Romney. Romney wanted no part of the Studebaker-Packard disaster and saw the future of American Motors in small cars [[the Rambler). He discontinued the Nash and Hudson-badged twin [[the Hash) and concentrated on the Rambler. In 1957, American Motors sold 114,000 Ramblers and 5,000 combined Hudson and Nash.

George Romney had long since departed American Motors when they acquired Kaiser-Jeep.

Overrated by whom? The international Olympics of soft drinks? What a stupid, trollish line.

I absolutley love diet Vernor's.
    Very seldom is our refrigerator without it.

I've tried other ginger Ales and they all pale in comparison to Vernor's.

George Romney circa 1994 making sense talking about everything from Ramblers to Suburban Sprawl. What an articulate and enlightened individual.

More of the Mitt.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I absolutley love diet Vernor's.
    Very seldom is our refrigerator without it.

I've tried other ginger Ales and they all pale in comparison to Vernor's.
    there are some HOT ginger ales down south that are good, but I love Vernor's. Ran into a well-known Detroit musician when I was in NY, he mentioned he was going to be visiting family here. I jokingly asked if he could pick up a case of Vernor's for me. He agreed to! a week later, he pulled up to my building and dropped it off, and wouldn't let me pay him back.

I think they still actually make the syrup for Vernor's here, don't they?

Vernor's is OK. Applied for a job there when I was quite young. The HR person told me that I would have to have my hair cut, though. Just over the HR guy's shoulder were old photos of Vernor family members, with beards and long hair to their shoulders.
    I lucked out, and got a summer job at Stroh's, instead.
    Last edited by Bobl; February-18-12 at 06:12 PM.

I love me some Vernors! But it's even better with Maker's Mark!

I used to LOVE Vernors. When I was young I remember if you opened a bottle, the ginger that became airborne was strong enough to choke you. Now, there doesn't seem to be the same amount of carbonation. Maybe it's just one of those "When I was young..." memories.

If they made it with real sugar instead of HFCS, I would drink it.

I love Vernor's and glad plenty of places carry it here in Chicago

Other ginger soda's pale in comparison to Vernor's. Hard to find here in rural Minnesota but I stock up whenever I can find it. And, yes, I do drink it daily when I have a large stash on hand. Love it over ice cream, mixed with milk or as a float. Makes a great baked ham, too!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I used to LOVE Vernors...If they made it with real sugar instead of HFCS, I would drink it.

I used to love it, too. Real Sugar was never in Vernor's. It was among the first soda-pops to use STEVIA, the all-natural sweetener from South America.

That substance was basically outlawed in 1984, when the corn lobby succeeded in twisting the entire government in their favor to force that poisonous chemistry experiment of High Fructose Corn Syrup upon us all.

That ruined Vernor's completely. Totally. Vernor's has been over-rated ever since.

The only way Vernor's could ever regain their mystique would be to return to the original formula. Stevia is no longer considered a pharmaceutical additive, so food producers don't have to get FDA approval to use it.

Cool backstory on American Motors. My father always reminisced whistlfully over his old Nash Rambler. Said it was the smartest car, but it was tiny for its time. By the late 60s, he was driving a Beetle to Fleetwood. Made quite a splash with the fellows who made the Cadillac coach bodies!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Vernors is too sweet.
    That's my thought. It's OK to drink or make a float with, but you always see Canada Dry or Schwepp's at bars for mixers.

Anyone remember this boat.....

Attachment 12064

Or, this one?

Attachment 12065

Am I the only one....or did anyone else on the board drink hot Vernor's with a slice of lemon when they were sick kids???????? I still warm it up sometimes......Maybe it was just a 48210 thingy.....

[QUOTE=Detroit_uke;304571]Am I the only one....or did anyone else on the board drink hot Vernor's with a slice of lemon when they were sick kids???????? I still warm it up sometimes......Maybe it was just a 48210 thingy.....

Not just a 48210 think I love hot Vernor's too.

I do my own ginger tea concoctions with grated fresh ginger.... once in a while I will do a Vernors. I would like if they ditched the HFCS but who will in terms of pop? Hanes is the one of the few cane sugar pops you can find out there. Do they make ginger variety?

If you want more "natural" ginger ale, this stuff is pretty good, especially as a mixer:

http://www.fever-tree.com/drinks.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast