Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anybody have a "I knew Mitt Romney" story? v. Native Son

Mitt Romney lived in Detroit and WB and attended public schools until he went to Cranbrook. I have been on DY for years and it seems like collectively we know about everything! So here is a challenge: Do you or anybody you know remember Mitt Romney as a youth? I am not looking for dirt, just....anything.

I frequently hear Romney being referred to as a Native Son of Michigan, but it seems to me that he split after college and never looked back. Does he still rock the Olde English D? Did he feel any Lions pain over the years? Does he support UM or MSU? Does he know the significance of 21 [[hopefully 22 tonight )? Does one need to even give a hoot about Michigan [[or Michigan sports) to be a native son of Michigan?

My dad once had an AMC Rambler and we I grew up a couple of miles from the old AMC HQ on Plymouth Road, does that count?

Not many of us ran in Mitt's circles.

Occurrence Guest

I wonder where he picked up all that Mormon BS?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post

I read Mitt's Wikipedia entry and it says two of his ancestors became Mormons within the first decade of JCLDS' existence.

I came up with an analogy: Mitt Romney is to Michigan as Grant Hill is to the NFL.

In the early 60s, I was a Romney Girl for George's gubernatorial campaign. We had to sew our own outfits to prove we were capable girls with good homemaking skills. I met George and Lenore, but never met Mitt or his brother. Mitt is a bit older than me. Maybe they were at the inaugural ball. There was a teen inaugural as well as the adult inaugural. I was at both of them, but still never met either of the sons. George's bit was to have us girls go ahead of him and stop in every business down the street to get everyone pumped up for the candidate's visit. It was fun, because we were all pretty cute girls and happy to be helping. George and Lenore were really nice people. At the time, I knew they were Mormons, but had no idea what that entailed. There were the stories of polygamy that we learned in school, but I can't recall that ever came up in the campaign, and if you saw George and Lenore, you knew that wouldn't ever be an issue. They were a great couple, a team in on everything together.

PS. A couple of years later, we moved to Detroit, and my mom got a job at AMC. I don't know if the Romney association helped, because of course, he was still governor then. She was the head exec. secretary in Industrial Engineering.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-17-12 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    In the early 60s, I was a Romney Girl for George's gubernatorial campaign. We had to sew our own outfits to prove we were capable girls with good homemaking skills. I met George and Lenore, but never met Mitt or his brother. Mitt is a bit older than me. Maybe they were at the inaugural ball. There was a teen inaugural as well as the adult inaugural. I was at both of them, but still never met either of the sons. George's bit was to have us girls go ahead of him and stop in every business down the street to get everyone pumped up for the candidate's visit. It was fun, because we were all pretty cute girls and happy to be helping. George and Lenore were really nice people. At the time, I knew they were Mormons, but had no idea what that entailed. There were the stories of polygamy that we learned in school, but I can't recall that ever came up in the campaign, and if you saw George and Lenore, you knew that wouldn't ever be an issue. They were a great couple, a team in on everything together.
    That is what I remember from the sixties. No one ever said "boo" about George Romney's religion. When he ran for the presidential nomination, there was a bit of a stink about him being born in Mexico. His downfall was his "I was brainwashed" comment.

George W. Romney, father of Mitt, was born in 1907 and died in 1995. He is buried in the Fairview Cemetery, Brighton, Michigan.

Gaskell Romney was the father of George W. He was born in 1871 in Salt Lake City, and died in 1955 in Salt Lake City, where he is buried.

Miles Park Romney, was the father of Gaskell. He was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1843, and died in 1904 in Mexico, where he is buried.

Miles Romney was the father of Miles Park Romney. He was born in England in 1806, and sailed to America in 1841 with several hundred Mormon converts from England. He went with them to Nauvoo, Illinois, thence to Salt Lake City during the Mormon exodus, and shortly after to the southern Utah town of St. George. He died in 1877 in St. George and is buried in the St. George Cemetery, along with two of my LDS ancestors [[no, I'm not LDS. Heaven forbid!)

And, yes, Miles and Miles Park Romney had multiple marriages. I don't know how they managed that; it's all I can do to handle one............

DC48080 Guest

Mormon BS??? Why don't you show a little class and decency.

What if someone said "I wonder where he picked up all that Jewish BS" or "Christian BS" or "athiest BS"?

I'm not Mormon but even I found that offensive.

detroitjim Guest

I went to the Detroit Auto Show with MY dad too.!

Iffens that not a good enough reason to vote for heeis bid for the perzidentantsy.

There ain't one.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    Mitt Romney lived in Detroit and WB and attended public schools until he went to Cranbrook.
    One correction, after the family moved out of Palmer Woods they lived in Bloomfield Hills [[the city, not just the zip code or the school district), not West Bloomfield. I wish I knew his old address in the Hills, I'd drive by some day, just to see what it looks like. Of course, the way things have been going, there's half a chance it was torn down to make room for a starter castle in the 90's or 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    George W. Romney, father of Mitt, was born in 1907 and died in 1995. He is buried in the Fairview Cemetery, Brighton, Michigan.

Gaskell Romney was the father of George W. He was born in 1871 in Salt Lake City, and died in 1955 in Salt Lake City, where he is buried.

Miles Park Romney, was the father of Gaskell. He was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1843, and died in 1904 in Mexico, where he is buried.

Miles Romney was the father of Miles Park Romney. He was born in England in 1806, and sailed to America in 1841 with several hundred Mormon converts from England. He went with them to Nauvoo, Illinois, thence to Salt Lake City during the Mormon exodus, and shortly after to the southern Utah town of St. George. He died in 1877 in St. George and is buried in the St. George Cemetery, along with two of my LDS ancestors [[no, I'm not LDS. Heaven forbid!)

And, yes, Miles and Miles Park Romney had multiple marriages. I don't know how they managed that; it's all I can do to handle one............
    Damn, you've got all the particulars, must be related to him. Romney reminds me of the kid who throws a rock at something, then hides his hand and says he didn't do it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-17-12 at 06:20 PM.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Mormon BS??? Why don't you show a little class and decency.

What if someone said "I wonder where he picked up all that Jewish BS" or "Christian BS" or "athiest BS"?

I'm not Mormon but even I found that offensive.
    if he was a different religion I would have asked the same question. All organized religions are equally retarded in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Damn, you've got all the particulars, must be related to him. Romney reminds me of the kid who throws a rock at something, then hides his hand and says he didn't do it.
    Nah...Ray just likes geneology, so I think that is the source of his interest.

DC48080 Guest

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, you need to learn some tact. How would you feel if someone said athiests were retarded?

Occurrence Guest

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, you need to learn some tact. How would you feel if someone said athiests were retarded?
    That's fine with me. I'm not an atheist. I would have to ask why though. That's kind of like calling someone a retard for not believing the Flying Cookie Monster exists. Seems a little off base.

SteveJ Guest

Romney reminds me of a car salesman. He's just a slime ball. Would sell his own mother for a dollar.

I find it ironic that Mitt's father, a good man, had his presidential aspirations dissolved when he told the truth about being " brainwashed" by the military about the conflict in Vietnam. Now, Mitt is trying to brainwash the working middle class voters into believing he is one of them. "If you can't beat them, join them", Mitt?

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Nah...Ray just likes geneology, so I think that is the source of his interest.
    Got that right, Cman! I see a name and I wonder, "where's his line from???". It's almost a curse. LOL

Grew up in Detroit, moved to the burbs, daddy was a powerful man. After school, Mitt got the hell out of state, far away from Detroit, and made billions off of screwing working class people on Wall St. now he wants to claim he's from the 'hood again. What's more "michigan" than that?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Grew up in Detroit, moved to the burbs, daddy was a powerful man. After school, Mitt got the hell out of state, far away from Detroit, and made billions off of screwing working class people on Wall St. now he wants to claim he's from the 'hood again. What's more "michigan" than that?
    And just how did he screw working class people? Do you have any examples of how he himself screwed working class folk? If so, please site them.

"Occupy" much???

And just how did he screw working class people? Do you have any examples of how he himself screwed working class folk? If so, please site them.

"Occupy" much???
    Two words. Bain Capital.

I have a hard time reconciling the white bread, goody-goody image of propriety and the pirate mentality the CEO class of the Romneys of this world convey.

I am sure Romney senior had a fair grasp of some of the issues facing the US in his day. But there is tha message that the whole spirit of enterprise, motivation and quality of life were quashed when affirmative action was brought in to right the wrongs of past prejudices. The spirit of enterprise is a lot easier when a guy like Romney is brought up into it.

It is funny that Romney has brought up Obama's past as a social worker unworthy of leadership when he himself served as a missionary for two years in France. The myth of the level playing field is a persistent one right up to today's crisis. Cathedral ceilinged subdivisions are all part of the act of faith that endures.

I listened to old man Romney and I am seeing the same approach as Mitt's on morality as a prerequisite for success as a nation. The moral compass thing is always wielded by those who would have us believe that there was no negative action to hinder certain minorities' opportunities before affirmative action came in. It seems important to stress that talented people were somehow denied due process in hiring when competing with disadvantaged folks of all ilks. Can you imagine a USofA without affirmative action and the liberal constructs of the past 50 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    One correction, after the family moved out of Palmer Woods they lived in Bloomfield Hills [[the city, not just the zip code or the school district), not West Bloomfield. I wish I knew his old address in the Hills, I'd drive by some day, just to see what it looks like. Of course, the way things have been going, there's half a chance it was torn down to make room for a starter castle in the 90's or 00's.
    They lived at 1830 Valley, just off Woodward, north of Long Lake.

From the Virtual Motor City:

Name:  23628JP2-wi-he-re1-x0-y0-sw-sh-ro-final.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  23628_1JP2-wi-he-re1-x0-y0-sw-sh-ro-final.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  60.8 KB

That's fine with me. I'm not an atheist. I would have to ask why though. That's kind of like calling someone a retard for not believing the Flying Cookie Monster exists. Seems a little off base.
    Seems retarded to even ask where he picked up the Mormon BS.

Nice looking crib.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast