Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Operation Hilarity

What goes around comes around.
    ..in 2008, Rush Limbaugh caused a stir by urging his listeners in open-primary states to go out and vote for Hillary Clinton in their Democratic primaries. He called it "Operation Chaos" -- a way of messing with [[and, theoretically, dragging out) the long Democratic nomination fight once the GOP side of things was already over.In the same spirit, meet Daily Kos's "Operation Hilarity," launched by Markos Moulitsas on the site today:
    It's time for us to take an active role in the GOP nomination process. That's right, it's time for those of us who live in open primary and caucus states—Michigan, North Dakota, Vermont and Tennessee in the next three weeks—to head out and cast a vote for Rick Santorum.
    Why would we do such a crazy thing? Lots of great reasons! …
    Several of the contests have produced razor-thin margins of victory. Rick Santorum won Iowa by 34 votes, Mitt Romney "won" Maine by 194 votes. It won't take many of us to swing contests the way we want them to swing.
    The longer this GOP primary drags on, the better the numbers for Team Blue. Not only is President Barack Obama rising in comparison to the clowns in the GOP field, but GOP intensity is down—which would have repercussions all the way down the ballot.
    works for me. I was going to vote on tuesday anyway because of a millage issue. Might as well have some fun too.

True Confession

When I was younger, I leaned Democratic and voted in an open primary for Reagan to screw up Republicans. I figured that Reagan was such a lame brained nut case that if he were nominated that no one would vote for him in the general election. I was wrong. Independents and "Reagan Democrats" went nuts over Reagan.

Now we have Santorum, the most warmongering candidate out there, worse than Obama, picking up states. If you want to vote for Santorum in the primary, take responsibility for any unintended consequences should he be elected.

My better suggestion is to cross party lines and vote for Ron Paul in the primary. If a miracle occurred and Ron Paul won, at least you would be getting an anti war president who supports privacy, a restoration of the protections offered by the bill of rights, opposes the expanding police state, supports internet freedom, opposes corporate subsidies, wants the federal government out of marriage and drug wars, and would still allow states to develop their own health care and educational plans along the lines they choose. Most of these things are what Democrats used to support when Bush was still President.

I'll guarantee that any Ron Paul delegates that get into the Republican convention are going to be attacking the Republican neocon establishment with everything they have even if, as is most likely, they do not have enough delegates to win. A Ron Paul vote will provide Democrats and independent primary voters with a lot of bang for the buck. Then you cans still vote for Obama in the general election to support all the wars, deficit spending, sickly economy, and continued attacks on the Constitution.

Voting for any of the Rep. throwbacks makes me gag.