Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Detroit F.B.I. Field Office

New Detroit F.B.I. Field Office

The FBI plans on building a new $65 million headquarters complex on the eastern edge of the Corktown neighborhood. The new facility will go on the site of the former Michigan State Executive Building on Sixth Street adjacent to the Lodge Freeway. Plans for the new headquarters include an 8-story building, 4-story parking garage and a single story automotive service facility.

this looks like the old, abandoned plan from a few years back

Yeah, another gated campus for Detroit. That's terrific. It's great because these superblocks will destroy the urban fabric forever, hurt walkability wherever they're built, and reserve lots and lots of space for precious parking so that people can drive in from all over and park their precious cars without ever having to leave and walk around.

I also like how it seems to take its cues from the WC3 campus downtown. A big silver brick. Nothing flips the bird to the sensitive human eye like a monolith of silver.

Everybody involved with this: Good job!

This project was cancelled in 2010

I'm no G-man, but Tiger Stadium gleaming in the background might be a clue about how current this is...

Jeez talk about late to the party...by 5 years...back when this was publicly released early 2007.

I've never seen the rendering before, even if it's old news.

I agree with others about not wanting a "campus". While I love to see development, I don't like "campuses". We need development to occur in, rely on, and support exist areas to make them stronger.

Must have been a covert action.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, another gated campus for Detroit. That's terrific. It's great because these superblocks will destroy the urban fabric forever, hurt walkability wherever they're built, and reserve lots and lots of space for precious parking so that people can drive in from all over and park their precious cars without ever having to leave and walk around.

I also like how it seems to take its cues from the WC3 campus downtown. A big silver brick. Nothing flips the bird to the sensitive human eye like a monolith of silver.

Everybody involved with this: Good job!
    It is too bad that every decision on everything that happens everywhere doesn't get run past you first!

Hey maybe all the work they're doing at Wayne County offices will bring this project back up on the priority list.

Not sure of the details, but the McNamara Federal Building at Michigan and Cass is being renovated to incude a new FBI field office.

This is a city, not a suburb or a rural area - it should have urban buildings in it, not gated suburban-styled security complexes.

Thank goodness this was canceled. Now we just need to cancel that awful, unjust prison project [[on Gratiot, if you haven't seen yet)

The site this was proposed on is already a "campus." If this had been built it would have just replaced the parking lots with a parking structure. And landscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    The site this was proposed on is already a "campus." If this had been built it would have just replaced the parking lots with a parking structure. And landscaping.
    Bring it downtown! Renovate a building. Build a new one. Take the Hudson's site.

We need to build on the momentum in CBD and Midtown. I work in a building that's in the CBD and I love go outside, walking to a new place for lunch, and spending dollars downtown, which in turn brings even more jobs down.

Except that the FBI is staying downtown.

In a building they've been in downtown.

That's being renovated.

Downtown.