Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rep John Conyers refuses to cancel Dionne Warwick fundraiser

Rep John Conyers's campaign management team, Ed Sarpolus, of Target-Insyght, and Jim Lancaster refuse to cancel fundraiser with Dion Warwick, aunt to Whitney Houston, in honor of her death and respect to the family. They have not even reached out to send condolences.

Despite outspoken concerns for Ms. Warwick's grief from Detroit City Councilperson JoAnn Watson, Sarpolus said, "Oh well, the show must go on."

https://globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=245635

Dionne Warwick Headliner at John Conyers Fund-Raiser
    DETROIT, Feb. 11, 2012 [[GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Congressman John Conyers, Jr., Democrat, Detroit, ranking member on the House Judiciary Committee, announced a fund-raising event in his honor will be held at The Detroit Club, 712 Cass Street, Detroit, on Friday, February 17, 2012.
    Featured at the event will be Special Guest: Dionne Warwick.
    This will be a one-time-only opportunity to celebrate Black History Month, the re-election of John Conyers and an intimate evening with the enduring singing voice of Dionne Warwick at one of Detroit's classic venues.
    Contributions or gifts can be made to the Conyers for Congress committee.
    Tickets or more information may be obtained by calling Jim Lancaster at [[517) 285-4737, Ed Sarpolus at [[517) 927-9776, or the Conyers for Congress campaign office at [[313) 844-1503.

It looks like the funeral is going to be on the same day as the fundraiser, February 17, according to a NJ news source:
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...al_arrang.html
    When Friday rolls around, Ms. Warwick skips the fundraiser and attends the funeral of her niece, I'll bet. Easy peasy. Problem solved.

"Easy peasy. Problem solved."

Only if she doesn't get sued for breach of contract.

Don't know what the agreement between the two parties are, and it sure would be a slime-ball thing to exercise if it's there -- considering the circumstances.

That dude it right, the show must go on. Hopefully it will be that circus Conyers calls representation that goes on .... to some place else ...

I don't think that Ms. Warwick has much to worry about if she skips it. I want to see Conyers sue her for attending a funeral. That would be awful PR.

I really don't care about Ms. Houston. I wasn't a fan of her music or lifestyle.

However, if there's any truth to this, it's repulsive. But it just doesn't pass the smell test for being true.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I really don't care about Ms. Houston. I wasn't a fan of her music or lifestyle.

However, if there's any truth to this, it's repulsive. But it just doesn't pass the smell test for being true.
    I don't think anyone is a fan of crack addiction. What Ms. Houston had was a beautiful voice that did not need any of the enhancements most singers need today. She was a completely different person in the 80s. Some of us actually remember that.

I smell a rat. I have been unable to reach the site for Global News Wire to corroborate the statement of the Conyers campaign about Dionne Warwick's appearance at a fund raiser for the Conyers campaign. I believe it may be possible that someone from one of the other campaigns is trying to embarrass Rep. Conyers with a false story.

Dionne Warwick should have checked with one of her psychic friends before she agreed to do the fundraiser. Ok before everybody attacks me I was just trying to interject a little humor in this dicsussion. Very Little....

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I smell a rat. I have been unable to reach the site for Global News Wire to corroborate the statement of the Conyers campaign about Dionne Warwick's appearance at a fund raiser for the Conyers campaign. I believe it may be possible that someone from one of the other campaigns is trying to embarrass Rep. Conyers with a false story.
    All I find, even on that Globe Newswire site, is an announcement of the fundraiser, but nothing about not allowing Warwick to opt out or even that she has requested to.

I'm not a huge Conyers fan, but every time he lets out a fart -- or even if he doesn't -- somebody is all over this board demanding his resignation.

The Associated Press is now reporting that the funeral will in fact be on Saturday:
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/entertainmen...saturday-in-nj

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm not a huge Conyers fan, but every time he lets out a fart -- or even if he doesn't -- somebody is all over this board demanding his resignation.

But yet not a peep on L. Brooks because of couse.....he can walk on water....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    How many DUIs has L. Brooks Patterson had?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    How many DUIs has L. Brooks Patterson had?
    Hey, it's a long way from the bar back to Independence Township.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me? I challenge you to find one single thread on D-Yes where L.B Patterson is mentioned and not criticized. The thread could be titled "L. B. Patterson cures Cancer" and there would be 15 people complaining about his opposition to forced busing and DUI.

I wouldn't cancel it either in honor of a junkie that wouldn't quit and left her child behind.

Well, I think we're talking about mainstream media too. The MSM goes pretty easy on Brooks. But let anybody in Conyers' family, like his kid, do something stupid, and it gets strong coverage, and more than a few posters on here join that chorus.

Anyway, if L. Brooks were to cure cancer, I'm sure I'd give him his propers...

Dionne Warwick never confirmed to attend and did not appear. Without counting staff, there were less than 10 people in attendance.

btw, Charlie LeDuff showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by damanacan View Post
    Dionne Warwick never confirmed to attend and did not appear. Without counting staff, there were less than 10 people in attendance.

btw, Charlie LeDuff showed up.
    Pics, or it didn't happen.

Keep watching FOX2 Detroit.

Dionne was at Whitney's private viewing today, so I know she wasn't in Detroit. I doubt that she planned to come back for this, especially with the funeral being in the morning.