Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sparkle: Whitney Houstons final movie filmed in Detroit

http://www.freep.com/article/2012021...ouston-Detroit

Such a tragic loss though her death will likely draw more to the theater to see the film. Thoughts?

Buy American Guest

Yes, a tragic loss and a preventable one. She was a trainwreck for years and her death shouldn't surprise anyone. She, like so many wonderful talents before her...Janis Joplin, Chris Farley, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, John Belushi, Jimi Hendrix, and hundreds more, should be used as examples to our youth to just say "NO" to drugs. Don't make her into some kind of icon for kids to look up to, her talent will always be there on DVD and video, but her legacy should be a lesson of what NOT to do.

I was an extra in "Sparkle." I am in a funeral scene that took was filmed at a church in Indian Village on the corner of Iroquois & Vernor. R.I.P Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Don't make her into some kind of icon for kids to look up to, her talent will always be there on DVD and video, but her legacy should be a lesson of what NOT to do.
    +1. It's amazing how the media glosses over how much damage these people do to their friends and families through their reckless and childish behavior.

Yes, a tragic loss and a preventable one. She was a trainwreck for years and her death shouldn't surprise anyone. She, like so many wonderful talents before her...Janis Joplin, Chris Farley, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, John Belushi, Jimi Hendrix, and hundreds more, should be used as examples to our youth to just say "NO" to drugs.
    Hendrix doesn't belong on this list..
    http://blogcritics.org/culture/artic...-jimi-hendrix/

Really sad. We were hoping that Sparkle and other projects would put Whitney back on the road to making more terrific movies and songs. She had one of the best voices ever! Some of her songs are the most beautiful ever recorded.

Many come out to see this movie. Whitney was loved and will be missed. RIP Whitney

I was an extra also in that film. I was one of a few hundred extras who were in the final scene where Kem introduced Jording Sparks [[Sparkle) and Whitney Houston sat a few rows down from me. She was very friendly and couirteous and spoke to many of us during that evening...

But it is easier to believe that she was the caricature the media played her out to be isnt that right BA or should I begin to call you BS?

Buy American Guest

The media reported how destructive she was to herself. She put herself out there for everyone to see, like all the movie stars or singers or politicians...if she didn 't want the limelight she should have stayed in the church choir. Her voice was like velvet, she was a beautiful woman but she was also a drug addict who eventually ended up dead like most drug addicts with money do. As I said, I would hope that the youth today don't look up to her with praise for her actions, but with praise for her vocal abilities. What a waste of what could have been a beautiful, lucrative career.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The media reported how destructive she was to herself. She put herself out there for everyone to see, like all the movie stars or singers or politicians...if she didn 't want the limelight she should have stayed in the church choir. Her voice was like velvet, she was a beautiful woman but she was also a drug addict who eventually ended up dead like most drug addicts with money do. As I said, I would hope that the youth today don't look up to her with praise for her actions, but with praise for her vocal abilities. What a waste of what could have been a beautiful, lucrative career.
    A lot of famous people started out singing in church choirs and had careers much longer than Whitney's but they did not end up dying from an overdose.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    A lot of famous people started out singing in church choirs and had careers much longer than Whitney's but they did not end up dying from an overdose.
    Yeah, you're right.

Hope she went with no regrets.

Django, one of our favorite bars was featured in the movie.

Perhaps Whitney would still be alive if she believed the words to this song.

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYzlVDlE72w"
    Last edited by MidTownMs; February-13-12 at 02:06 PM.

[[DAILY CALLER) Sony and Apple wasted no time capitalizing on Whitney Houston’s untimely death, cranking up prices on her online music downloads angering fans in the process.
    According to London’s Guardian newspaper, the price of Whitney Houston’s album “The Ultimate Collection” increased by 60 percent just 12 hours after the singer’s body was found in a bathtub at the Beverly Hilton.

Some things never change.

Just happened to be driving by the Iroquois Avenue Christ Lutheran Church on November 2 and took a quick pic not knowing what film was being shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just happened to be driving by the Iroquois Avenue Christ Lutheran Church on November 2 and took a quick pic not knowing what film was being shot.

I was in the funeral scene at that church...I hope I don't get cut...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I was in the funeral scene at that church...I hope I don't get cut...
    Looks like I should have tried to sneak in!